High Frequency, Alternating Cycle

intensum

I just finished my first microcycle of 15s. I'm aware that for my first mesocycle I -should- be sticking to plain vanilla HST (15-10-5, 3x a week, etc.), but I am stubborn and will invariably customize everything :D

I chose 15-12-9 because it appears that the most growth is noticed in the higher-rep microcycles, and I'm not aiming for strength increases. I chose to lift 6x a week because I have the time, the food, and the recovery ability. And, starting with my 12s (seen in the image attached), I chose to alternate between three different exercises per body part each day, because the constant variety and high increments should lead to greater microtrauma.

The ugly puke-green blocks are the lifts I will do each day.

Can anyone offer some suggestions/advice/criticism?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I chose 15-12-9 because it appears that the most growth is noticed in the higher-rep microcycles

False.
dozingoff.gif
Most of the muscle growth will occur in the higher-load microcycles (i.e. rep ranges of 6 or less) Stick with the standard 15-10-5 setup for the first cycle. If you already tested maxes, then go 15-9-5.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The ugly puke-green blocks are the lifts I will do each day.

Haha.. now for my first cycle this past summer, I went with a split-exercise routine, but as I progressed I found out the exercises I liked, and learned about the ones that were the best. Since then, I quit the alternating and stuck to a core compound workout with isolations in the 15's and 10's. (you asked for customization!
tounge.gif
)

If you can start off with a core routine based of these exercises then it will work out well:

Squats
Deadlifts
Chins
Dips
Bench Press
Military Press
Calf Raises (the essential isolation exercise)

Atfer that, you can throw the isolations in such as the shrugs, barbell curls, skulls, and other areas where you are lagging.

Good luck. I gained 8.5 lbs of muscle and lost 1 lb of fat on my first cycle by sticking to several hundred calories above my maintenance level. You can't grow without eating!

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]False.  
dozingoff.gif
Most of the muscle growth will occur in the higher-load microcycles (i.e. rep ranges of 6 or less)  Stick with the standard 15-10-5 setup for the first cycle.  If you already tested maxes, then go 15-9-5.
blush.gif
I stand corrected. In the results thread people often reported the most growth in the 10s and some slowing down of gains in 5s, but it goes to show that randomly observed anecdotal evidence isn't enough.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Stick with the standard 15-10-5 setup for the first cycle.  If you already tested maxes, then go 15-9-5.
I tested my 12 rep maxes, not 9s. Since I'm lifting 6x a week, what if the microcycles lasted a week long? For example: 12-10-8-6-4. Or would it be more effective to do upper body lifts on monday, lower body lifts on tues, etc. for 2-week microcycles?
Thanks, colby.

Yeah, you'll hear from nearly everyone hear that most of the hypertrophy occurs in the 5's and negs. Glycogen stores, water retention, lactic acid buildup and some other factors may make people think the 15's put on the weight.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I tested my 12 rep maxes, not 9s. Since I'm lifting 6x a week, what if the microcycles lasted a week long? For example: 12-10-8-6-4. Or would it be more effective to do upper body lifts on monday, lower body lifts on tues, etc. for 2-week microcycles?

Well, if you tested your 12RM, then here's my suggestion: do the desired split that you want to do, and do two weeks of 12's, two weeks of 8's, and two weeks of 4's, and then follow into negatives/post-4's.

-Colby

Back