What Do You Like/don't Like In Your Gym??

Brixtonian

So after 30+ years lifting iron, and finding the standard and quality of modern gyms rapidly going downhill - at least here in London, UK - I have finally got the opportunity to create and open my very own independent gym!

I have 4000 sq.ft and am looking at squat racks, power racks/cages, a couple of heavy duty leg presses (for those of us with older, dodgy knees and lower backs!) flat, incline and decline benches, a couple of Smiths/Jones machines (I have no friends... I usually train alone!) and some other heavy duty machines for calves, back, shoulders etc.. and a shed load of iron plates and bars...

I will have a couple of treadmills, a couple of rowers and a couple of stationary bikes.

I will sell protein powders and a selection of other appropriate supplements, and branded clothing.

I will also have a small cafe bar area, and sell a decent quality espresso coffee, green tea, some fruit and maybe some other food stuffs.

There will be male and female changing rooms with showers.
I will offer yearly contracts, monthly contracts and pay-as-you-go.

There is a large supermarket car-park opposite and cheap street parking.
I intend to open from 6am or 7am on weekdays, (slightly later at weekends) and close about 10pm most nights.

I am very new to running a business or gym, even though I have spent my whole adult life, and some, in various gyms, so I am open to absolutely any advice or constructive criticism.

What do you want to see in your gym? What do you not like??

Thanks in advance.

@Brixtonian,

Seems pretty good to me as I said before nothing better than a proper hardcore gym and I hope it all goes well for you!

In addition to your list for me I would also like to see

1 - at least one dedicated deadlift station possibly two
2 - a ban on the muppets who do bicep curls in the squat racks, lol

If I am ever in the area for a site meeting etc I may even pop in, when you are up and running of course.

Thanks Mick,

1) - I agree. I can be difficult to dedicate a rack/cage to a particular lift, as, as you noted in (2)... muppets like to train their pea-sized guns anywhere there is a decent rack with an awesome mirror in front of it!

2) No mirrors in front of the squat racks... and a dedicated muppet bicep rack...

Yeah feel free to come and train anytime you are down this way!

Back