Triathlons

I

imported_etothepii

Soooooo, I was once a regular around here, and my interests changed dramatically. Now, I train swimming, cycling, and running, and with participate in at least 4 duathlon/triathlons next season. I have not found a good forum to participate in, and when I saw this new area on my old favorite site, I thought, "why not?"

(I was doing this on the old Body Recomposition site, but Lyle seems to have eliminated it.)

So anyway, I'll be posting some links to triathlon training, especially strength training here.

The debate in endurance sports seems to be between low weight high rep training, and high weight , low rep training ... sound familiar?!?!

Traditional thought is that high reps/low weight enhance muscular endurance, which will help with over all endurance performance. The high wight/low rep school of thought says that the increased strength that you gain will improve performance, and endurance will take care of itself with all the other endurance training that you do...

My idea, surprisingly (or not) is to do both methods of strength training, perhaps HST style, in the off season.

Full body workouts, twice per week, low volume...

Low calorie diet, less frequency. This provides weight loss/maintenance, and less chance of injury, while minimizing muscle loss and improving strength.

That's the idea, anyway.

Although endurance training is not my cup of tea I was impressed by how my jogging endurance was improved after some time of low rep heavy weight training. I was not doing any cardio and my weight exercises included (obviously) squats. I was under the impression that due to the lack of cardio and extra body weight my performance would suffer but instead I could run faster and further.

Here's a quote from one of the articles linked above:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Strength training, prescribed correctly, can also improve endurance performance. While traditionally any form of weight lifting was frowned upon by endurance coaches, low-weight, high-repetition routines have become generally accepted by triathletes in order to improve strength endurance and limit an increase in bodyweight. However, maximal and explosive type strength training has been shown to improve endurance performance and exercise economy (9,10,11) and is not associated with a signifcant increase in muscle mass.</div>

Hi eto,

Triathlons eh? I'm sure Dr. Pierre will have plenty of good advice for you on the endurance side of things.

Ain't no way metcon will improve much without training for it specifically. Of course, sets of 15+ reps will help but that classifies the loads as light anyway. If you want to try some great metcon workouts for the off-season you could do worse than pick a few Crossfit WODs.

To 'prevent' (limit) muscle loss when dieting down you need to lift heavy at least once a week (around 5RM loads) for each muscle group. Compounds are a good idea for this to make sure you cover all your bases without running out of energy.

Then you need to ensure you are getting enough protein. I think Lyle's current thinking is that 1-2g/lb lean body weight is about right if cals are reduced below maintenance. 1g/lb is about the minimum recommended while dropping bodyfat.

All the best for next season.  
cool.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">http://www.teamri.org/FunctionalStrengthTraining.html</div>

This post introduces FST, Functional Strength training, for the triathlete. I like the name, hate the article!

<div>
(Lol @ Nov. 12 2008,9:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hi eto,

Triathlons eh? I'm sure Dr. Pierre will have plenty of good advice for you on the endurance side of things.

Ain't no way metcon will improve much without training for it specifically. Of course, sets of 15+ reps will help but that classifies the loads as light anyway. If you want to try some great metcon workouts for the off-season you could do worse than pick a few Crossfit WODs.

To prevent muscle loss when dieting down you need to lift heavy at least once a week (around 5RM loads) for each muscle group. Compounds are a good idea for this to make sure you cover all your bases without running out of energy.

Then you need to ensure you are getting enough protein. I think Lyle's current thinking is that 1-2g/lb lean body weight is about right if cals are reduced below maintenance. 1g/lb is about the minimum recommended while dropping bodyfat.

All the best for next season.  
cool.gif
</div>
HI!

I'm starting with sprint triathlons, and may work up to Oly length in another yaer. Perhaps a half IM will be in mmy future one day...

I'm not familiar with the term &quot;metcon.&quot;
rock.gif

Honestly, I want to do the same big, compound lifts again. But from what I'm reading, One legged squats, straight arm cable pull downs, stability ball work, etc. rules the day for off season strength training.

I think
Sunday:
Squat
Bench
Row

Wednesday:
DL
Pull down (or pull up)
Overhead press

Plus some accessory work, core stuff, etc...

DB pullovers may be good for the swim muscles too.

Hi,

i just stumbled onto this and I don´t have much time right now but do yourself a massive favor and have your heart THOROUGHLY checked by a sports doctor and make sure you have a healthy heart with no pathological hypertrophy.

until later,

Pierre

Back