Training Imbalances Vs. Shoulder Tension

I've never been the type to hold tension, until the last month or so, and now I just can't get my traps to relax. I think this may be due to a training imbalance. I'm going to start adding shrugs in to my routine, as I am not currently doing anything to specifically target them.

Has anyone else experienced this. Am I on the right track?

Hi! Not as part of my experience in training, BUT as part of my professional experience, I am a post-graduated Nurse in Sports Rehab.

First of hall you will be adding stress/tension to that area, wich can be good or bad. There are a few things to consider first.

Here goes:

How is your posture?? Not just doing the exercises, but also during the daily activities? Some people do a slight arch on the upper back that causes the traps to be constantly activated/contracted leading to pain and massive muscular tonus.

Also check if your shoulders are rounding in as this could also lead to the previous arch on the back, and also shoulder problems (rotator cuffs mostly).

If you have any of this, you should adress your posture first!

Now as far as training goes, adding shrugs might actually help a lot. How?? Well just lift a light weight, do over 20 reps (assuming no pain when muscle warms), and after it aply heat and massage. You will benefit from the improved blood flow, and muscle tension will actually be lower a few minutes after the exercize.

If your traps are underdeveloped it is also a propblem with your training/exercise selection, review this, but remember, heavy loads should be placed only when you are recovered.

Hope this helps, i think i covered most possibilities.

(Sorry for my bad english, i am Portuguese.)

I've never been the type to hold tension, until the last month or so, and now I just can't get my traps to relax. I think this may be due to a training imbalance. I'm going to start adding shrugs in to my routine, as I am not currently doing anything to specifically target them.

Has anyone else experienced this. Am I on the right track?

*Disclaimer - internet diagnosis*

I think your general upperback is going to be the culprit, and needs more work.

Shrugs or deadlift variant will certainly help. I would suggest face-pulls and seated rows (done to full stretch at 'bottom' of the eccentric) be prioritised as well.

Posture, seating position etc. will also be a factor; especially in the car IMO. Most chairs are done for 'touch' comfort and not spinal considerations.

Jus to add to @Jester coment,

Carefull doing shrugs, if your shoulders are rounding in, could make it worst. Do them from behind mabe?? (it helps postur as well if done correctly).

I know this is an old thread ;), but something to me doesn't make sense here...

Surely if a muscle is overly tight, doing resistance training (which creates more tension) would make it worse and shorten it even more? I would think working on muscle release, trigger point work, stretching and exercises which work the antagonist muscles to help pull the scapula back and down would be needed?

Or is it a matter of because the muscle is tight and obviously perceives danger hence overtightness, training the muscle to become stronger will help to 'convince' it to relax?

I guess it depends on why the muscle is tight to begin with... if it's tight due to weakness (which is common), perhaps strengthening it (especially at the end ranges of motion) may help. If it's a postural issue, working on postural alignment and strengthening the antagonists may help. If it's tight from being overworked it may help to work on relaxing the muscle.

I've just been wondering about this muscle overtightness/imbalance thing... maybe I just needed to talk it through for myself here haha. I guess "it depends" is the answer ;D

Back