The "Perfect" Push up

Louno

Hi,
i stumbled across This product while i was shopping for some hand grip exercisers ( BTW i still didnt buy any, does anyone has suggestions ? there is so many grip/forearm products out there, i need one for traveling )

What do you think of the Perfect pushup thingy ?

Personally, I don't see it being any better than just doing regular pushups. Much better to put some extra weight on your body and make them harder. I find a teenager works quite well and they are easy to attach and detach!
biggrin.gif

Check my 'grip test' thread for ideas for that: Grip Test

For traveling, I'd recommend getting two grippers. One that you can close (but not easily) and another that you can't. That way you can work up to sets of 5 or more with the easier one and use the other one for negs. If you can only get one then get one you can't close yet but that you can get to parallel with.

<div>
(Louno @ Jun. 13 2007,00:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What do you think of the Perfect pushup thingy ?</div>
Waste of money in my book. Better to spend the money on something like----

1. grippers
2. chain to put on neck when you do pushups
3. dip belt
4. manta ray

Like steve said, there are many more productive things to spend money on. Pushups don't really do a whole lot.

Your kid sister can sit on your back for free! (if she likes you...)

That thing might be good for bad wrists? But again, pushups aren't worth much.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 13 2007,20:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Your kid sister can sit on your back for free! (if she likes you...)

That thing might be good for bad wrists? But again, pushups aren't worth much.</div>
Excellent point on the bad wrists, quad. But that's about the only advantage to this type of gizmo, Louno. The only way push ups might be useful is if your sister sits on your back and she weighs a good bit. If she does weigh a good bit, she might sit on your back even if she doesn't like you.
sad.gif

I'm not a fan of how stressed my wrist joints get from a normal push-up let alone with a device like that. As Steve said, spend the $$$ on a dip belt!

alright guys, thanks for the info.

Actualy, i thought pushups were pretty good excersice, aside from the fact that they are &quot;too easy&quot; ( not enough weight ), i used to do compensate for that by doing them very very slowly and with dumbells in my hands instead of having my hands on the ground, that enables my pecs to go lower than &quot;the ground&quot; ( the ground level is where my hands are, on the dumbells ) which gives some good strecht ( you cant do that on bench press since the bar comes across your chest )

anyways i dont know if what im saying is clear, im a frenchy , so pardon my poor english.

Im going to the store to get some good pairs of grippers, i started doing interior rock climbing, and man, its very intense on the hands/forearms .

specific training equipment the ideal gripper for HST orientated training is probably the Ivanko Super-Gripper, which with std springs allows loadings from 30-300+ lbs...
What are you training for - if it's Hypertrophy then ultimately the climbing will suffer.
On the other hand if you get the cimbing &quot;bug&quot; then the push-up comes into it's own. Too easy? tried wide/close/diamond/hands placed infront of face, stomach/handstand; not to mention the plyometric variations...
wink.gif

I would think that pulldowns and chins would be the main exersizes for climbing, but I don't climb, so...uneducated guess.

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Jun. 17 2007,06:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">specific training equipment the ideal gripper for HST orientated training is probably the Ivanko Super-Gripper, which with std springs allows loadings from 30-300+ lbs...
What are you training for - if it's Hypertrophy then ultimately the climbing will suffer.
On the other hand if you get the cimbing &quot;bug&quot; then the push-up comes into it's own. Too easy? tried wide/close/diamond/hands placed infront of face, stomach/handstand; not to mention the plyometric variations...
wink.gif
</div>
If you want to save money and take your chances, I guess the ivanko super gripper would be worth a shot, but I bought one and returned it immediately. The piece of metal that is pushed up against your palm when you squeeze it is very thin, making it pretty uncomfortable to use.

yeah i saw the ivanko , but its big ... not nice to carry around...
montreal sucks man, i did like 7 shops yesterday to find good grippers and all i found was pure crap, all expect 1 were too easy ( way easy ) and the one that was &quot;hard&quot; was very crappy quality, every time you close you would hear a cracking noise, and the grips were huuuuuuuge ( i have small hands... )

<div>
(Louno @ Jun. 18 2007,13:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">yeah i saw the ivanko , but its big ... not nice to carry around...
montreal sucks man, i did like 7 shops yesterday to find good grippers and all i found was pure crap, all expect 1 were too easy ( way easy ) and the one that was &quot;hard&quot; was very crappy quality, every time you close you would hear a cracking noise, and the grips were huuuuuuuge ( i have small hands... )</div>
go to www.prowriststraps.com they have good stuff for a decent price &amp; they ship to Canada...can always try ebay too

No real reason to get expensive grippers like coc unless you're trying to get certified with something.

Were it me, I'd get the Ivanko and go to the local hardware supply and buy some PVC tubing, cut it and slip it over the handles to make them bigger. I did this with my db's and love it. The Ivanko seems to be a good idea, having adjustments in one unit, and coupled with Lol's idea of carrying it in the car and using it...perfect.
WAITAMINNIT! We need to design a STEERING WHEEL with built-in grippers, and a COOLING SYSTEM, and a ....
biggrin.gif
...oh, I guess my thermogenics haven't worn off yet.
blush.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 18 2007,18:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Were it me, I'd get the Ivanko and go to the local hardware supply and buy some PVC tubing, cut it and slip it over the handles to make them bigger. I did this with my db's and love it. The Ivanko seems to be a good idea, having adjustments in one unit, and coupled with Lol's idea of carrying it in the car and using it...perfect.
WAITAMINNIT! We need to design a STEERING WHEEL with built-in grippers, and a COOLING SYSTEM, and a ....
biggrin.gif
...oh, I guess my thermogenics haven't worn off yet.  
blush.gif
</div>
Do you even need a pair of grippers? I'd be surprised if you even own a pair of straps. I worked all day building a fence at one of my rental properties, and lugged this big ass motor to an 8&quot; augur all around the place (didn't have any wheels on it). My forearms are so sore I'm having muscle cramps galore. I'd almost forgotten how much construction work taxes the forearms. You should buy a coc #2 and see if you can close it on the first try

I don't know. I use straps with loads over 135-350 just to keep focus on the target muscles, and my forearms are naturally good from work, but as for holding up, say, a deadlift for a minute, or hanging from the chin bar as we did with Lol's grip thread: I suk. No endurance with the grip, so I could benefit from grippers I think. Not a priority though...but if I had a set in the truck I wouldn't leave them alone!

Although push ups are too easy for significant strength or hypertrophy gains, they may be useful in a warmup. Especially given that they allow the scapular to move freely - most other horizontal pressing doesn't allow the scapular to move freely (i.e. all types of benching). I'm not expert, but apparently doing some movements that allow scapular movement can be good for shoulder health.

Back