The HST worksheet

steve_nw

Ok, so I'm new to this HST stuff.
Some background: have started back at the gym after 6-months off, before that, no gym work at all.
sad.gif
And I'm someone who is - ahem - in the mature range of life.
Friend and I are gym buddies, and we both hooked into this HST. We *think* we did the set-up right with getting our 15RM all set, but now we have some questions:
How fast (how much time total) should we take in doing these exercises?
The worksheet (XLS) that Bryan offers - are these ALL the exercises we should be doing, or are they just a suggestion? Are there some others we should be doing?
What does it mean by negatives? I'm just not clear on that at all.
What do I do with the HST supplements?
Any help/advice is gratefully received.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]steve_nw, Posted on May 19 2003,8:42
We *think* we did the set-up right with getting our 15RM all set

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.
Ok, did you also test your 10 and 5 max or are you just going to lift straight linear??

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How fast (how much time total) should we take in doing these exercises?
Anywhere from 30 - 55 min average

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The worksheet (XLS) that Bryan offers - are these ALL the exercises we should be doing, or are they just a suggestion?
Yes, these are just suggestions although a good selection to start your first cycle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are there some others we should be doing?
See how you do the first cycle then sure add / delete / swap.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What does it mean by negatives? I'm just not clear on that at all.
Start your negative week with a weight you can lift for 2 - 3 reps.
Your spotter will help you lift the next rep (concentric) then you
slowly let the weight back down 2 - 4 seconds (eccentric). Continue lifting
until the weight just falls (you have hit failure) and you're done.

FAQ negatives

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What do I do with the HST supplements?
Take Primer with creatine before your workout and Driver after.

pre - post workout

Also FAQ will answer a few more question
link to FAQ

Good luck
thumbs-up.gif

Thanks - this is helpful.

We did *not* do the 10 and 5 RM before we started the cycle, because we had not read all the information. So we will do that after our first two weeks.

We will read the FAQ for more information.

Thanks again. More info about how we're getting along will come later.

Thanks, Blade, for the links to information. The information on the negatives "clicked" for me and now I understand what you mean. You guys certainly have a wealth of information on this board.

And I think I have some more learning to do. I hope I'm not tiresome. But here are some more questions/comments:

1) As I did not set my 10/5 RM range before starting my cycle, can I just do this on one of my off-days? I'm thinking that I wouldn't be too far off my "real" range if I did that.

2) I am worried that I am not doing the dead lift correctly. Even with with reduced weight this early in the cycle and with the advice of the gym's staff, it still seems like I'm straining my lower back. I've looked at some other sites to see how to do dead lifts, but they don't have a "picture" of what I should look like. So, the question is (a) what should I do to help my lower back not get blown out and (b) is there a place that better describes how to do a dead lift?

3) Another stupid question - where's a good place to go to find out further exercises to add/swap/delete after I've completed the first cycle? In my last experience in the gym, I felt like I was just dinking around with exercises that had no relation to each other or even to a goal of getting bigger and stronger. This HST cycle and information is very helpful - I already feel much more "exercised" - and I want to do this in the best and most efficient manner.

I realize that this is a volunteer board, so I'm not trying to ask for too much. But I am asking for help! So even someone might think this is newbie stuff, it's very interesting to people like me.
thumbs-up.gif

JSRaaf - that's an EXCELLENT site! Thanks for finding it for me.

And, judging by the video, I HAVE been doing it wrong.

If you didn't test for your 10RM and 5RM prior to Strategic Deconditioning, you should not test for them now. Just keep the progression for the 15s going as planned, then backcycle a couple of increments (reduce the load - also called 'zig-zag' ), and continue with about a 5-10% increment every- or every other workout (you may repeat workouts with the same load to extend the loading for a muscle group where the RMs are close together).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]steve_nw, Posted on May 20 2003,7
wow.gif
3) Another stupid question - where's a good place to go to find out further exercises
to add/swap/delete after I've completed the first cycle?

Steve,

No problem, ask away!
You might have found this directory from jsraaf post. IF not, heres the link

exrx muscle and exercise directory

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steve_nw @ May 19 2003,11:42)]The worksheet (XLS) that Bryan offers - are these ALL the exercises we should be doing, or are they just a suggestion?
Where is this worksheet?
crazy.gif

I'm thinking there isn't a "worksheet" then... hehe. No problem.

I'm going to make something up in MS works so I can bring a paper with me to the gym. That way I can keep a good track of my workouts and add comments to each workout.

Patrick

Back