Sci's Bipolar Lifting Log.

Sci

Ok, so I have been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder (manic-depression) for about 16 years now, and I am finally seeking professional medical help. Anyway, I primarily use training and diet to manage my mental and physical health, and seeing as how I have made some long-term friends on this rather cozy little forum, I have known Totentanz, Lol, Old&Gray, Mikeynov and others here for years! ), I decided to post a kind of "psych log" instead of the usual bodybuilding focus.

Of course, lifting and bodybuilding will still be the main outlet here as it remains a vital part of my treatment and mood management.

Today is a rather appropriate day to start this log, as I am seeing a highly rated local psychiatrist this afternoon, to seek treatment. This evening will see me lifting heavy objects, so long as my sinus infection eases down, been fighting a cold the past couple of days.

mood: low, but hopeful.

Doctor meeting went well. He gave me a prescription for Lamictal. He encouraged the weightlifting, sleeping and diet regimen.

Training will be fullbody, low volume, frequent. Currently cutting.

All lifts are very strict reps, very controlled, somewhat slowish.

Seated cable rows: 180x8,8

Pulldowns: 200x7,7 (wiped out after rows)

Bench Press: 215x8,8

Seated Press: 125x8,8

DeadLift: 315x5

Leg Press: 540x8 PR

Calf Raise: 340x9 PR

Very happy today. Good lifting session, cranking dubstep on The headphones:
My favorite song as of late:

crank the volume up to 11 for this shit:

Looking forward to this.
I'll try to keep it interesting. Coming up in a month or two will be some serious cutting photos for summer, which will be fun to see some definition of what I have built the last couple of years.

I am also thinking after this cut, I am going back on the quest for a 500 pound DeadLift and a 315 Bench Press...By years end.

This isn't much for many if you guys, but it represents an milestone I hit last year.

Good motivation to get back into deads.

Carl, I swear that blonde looked round at you when that 180kg hit the floor! The earth must've moved for her. :)
Your attitude is great. Challenges in life are invariably best faced head-on. I see no head-in-the-sand mentality here.
All the best with your training and life goals and I look forward to reading about your 500lb pull when you get there, which you undoubtedly will.

Reactions: Sci
Not a good day. Stress at work... Still fighting a nasty cold. Tomorrow will be better, at least the weekend is coming.

Ok, so I have been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder (manic-depression) for about 16 years now, and I am finally seeking professional medical help. Anyway, I primarily use training and diet to manage my mental and physical health, and seeing as how I have made some long-term friends on this rather cozy little forum, I have known Totentanz, Lol, Old&Gray, Mikeynov and others here for years! ), I decided to post a kind of "psych log" instead of the usual bodybuilding focus.

Of course, lifting and bodybuilding will still be the main outlet here as it remains a vital part of my treatment and mood management.

Today is a rather appropriate day to start this log, as I am seeing a highly rated local psychiatrist this afternoon, to seek treatment. This evening will see me lifting heavy objects, so long as my sinus infection eases down, been fighting a cold the past couple of days.

mood: low, but hopeful.

Sci, thank you for sharing. I always enjoy reading your training log and your very thorough and knowledgeable responses to my training logs and others. I consider it a privilege to, in a "cyber" way, walk along side you on this journey, you're not alone in it.

I'm looking forward to this log, bro.

Day started out bad, really bad cough, more work stress... But I handled it well and doing good.

It's really hard to take a "selfie" of the back and shoulders... But here it is. Deltoids getting more chiseled, back has gotten a little wider, but I will never change my genetics, so I am pleased with my back progress.

At least I have good back thickness, it's really gonna thicken up with the rows and Deadlift training.... :)

IMG_1338.JPG

Cold/cough is getting better.

1hour fullbody high intensity, low volume training.
(Warmup sets and drop sets not listed). (Maintenance)
Cable Row: 205x7
Bench Press: 245x3
Pulldown: 220x7
Seated Press: 145x5
DeadLift: 335x6
Leg Press: 540x8
Calf Raise: 340x10 PR

Got a huge hormone boost from Training, by the end of it, my brain was swimming in good stuff. Even testosterone, anyone else feel really horny after training, or is that just my own whacked brain chemistry?

Last edited:
Muscles in entire body feel like stiff steel cables, not really much DOMS since it was low volume, but a dull ache deep in the muscle fiber from the intense tension that was induced yesterday.

Bad cough, haven't been sleeping, it's almost over though.

Today was extreme low volume, just to get a quick brain and muscle stimulus.

Cable Row: 205x8
Pulldown: 210x10
Incline Bench: 185x8
Calf Raise: 340x10

Total body workout... 20 minutes total.

Cold/cough is getting better.

1hour fullbody high intensity, low volume training.
(Warmup sets and drop sets not listed). (Maintenance)
Cable Row: 205x7
Bench Press: 245x3
Seated Press: 145x5
DeadLift: 335x6
Calf Raise: 340x10 PR

Got a huge hormone boost from Training, by the end of it, my brain was swimming in good stuff. Even testosterone, anyone else feel really horny after training, or is that just my own whacked brain chemistry?

Strong lifting there pal. Very good bench pressing. Keep digging deep.

Reactions: Sci
On call, 7 days off.

Bench Press: 245x5 (previous PR)
Cable Row: 205x6
Seated Press: 145x6
DeadLift: 345x4
Leg Press: 540x8 (previous PR)
Calf Raise: 360x10 PR!

Crazy lifting song of the day... "Killin it"

Last edited:
Strong lifting there pal. Very good bench pressing. Keep digging deep.

There are quite a few guys at my gym that can bench 315+ (big commercial gym).

So until I get in that club, I feel like a small-fry, but thanks for the compliment.

I partly train at home so I don't have to listen to music like that when I'm working out. :p :)
Glad it helps you though. That's a nice set of numbers you're building up. Congrats on the PR.

Blimey. 3 biscuits a side. I got some work to do. Lol.
Well, those guys are either HUGE, or they are ELITE bench pressers for their size (one guy is about 170 lb.s and he can bench 315!), or they are HUGE AND ELITE, ( one guy is a gorilla size, and can bench 500 raw!, but he's a genetic freak for sure.

Working LONG hours, I can't say I like it. It sucks actually, don't ever become a plumber, unless you are a workaholic, then you'll love it!

Back