Routine Question

allmanbro

I am starting my first block of 10s this week and was hoping someone could take a look at the order I am doing my excercises to see if It looks ok. As well as if there are any I should drop or add.  On the 15s I would sometime jostle the order a bit.  I am going to do 2 sets of 10 the first week.

Also I want to say THANKS to all of you guys for all the information you provide.  I have done a huge amount of reading here in the forum and on the website.  I have always been a freak about doing things exactly as prescribed once I believe in them and I have done this with HST with great results already.  I am nearly 47 and never serious lifted before 6 months ago. So the changes are very exciting. THANKS AGAIN!! AB

This is the order and excercises:
Squats
SLDL
Pullups
Cable Rows
Incline Bench
Dips
Side lat raises
Curls
Cable pushdowns(triceps)
Standing Calf Press
Abs(weighted crunches or ab machine sometimes)

Looks like a good selection of exercises.

I'd probably alternate pushing/pulling exercises like this:

Pullups
Incline Bench
Cable Rows
Dips

Otherwise, you'll likely be too tired to do a good job on the rows and dips if you don't take a break after doing another exercise that hits the same muscles.

At some point you may want to do A/B style. So for your A workout you'd do pullups and incline bench, for the B workout the rows and dips. Likewise in the latter 10s or 5s you may want to drop the arm exercises and just leave the compound movements. As you start doing more sets with heavier weights simplification is a good thing.

I've got a couple years on you, and I'm stronger than I've ever been. I'm glad that you found HST; it works well. Good luck!

Thanks for the input LNT..I tried that with my 2 sets of 10s tonight and it went well..

Do you have a sample of a scaled down workout that you mentioned?

Thanks again,

AB

Squats/SLDL - alternate A/B
Pullups/Cable Rows - alternate A/B
Incline Bench/Dips - alternate A/B
Side lat raises/Military press - alternate A/B
Curls/Cable pushdowns(triceps) - superset each day
Standing Calf Press

I would not worry much about teh isos but use one set as a superset it should help some!

agree with the other guys you could alternate or do this
squats
dips
pullups
incline bench
cable rows
lat raises
sldl
calf raises
i dont think that would be to hard.

About the A/B routine, is that doing a morning/evening split or just doing the first set of 10s as A and the second as B during the same workout? Hopefully at the same workout because I cant get to the gym twice a day for now anyway. Again thanks very much for the input fella's...ab

I started the a/b split on wednesday and it went well, didnt feel as worked at the end but still felt like a decent workout.

Concerning the superset bi's/tri's, should I keep bumping the weight up with each workout like the other excercises? and should i do 2 sets of the supersets x 10 reps like the others?

And lastly, I have another week of 10s next week, when I go to 5's should I stick with this same workout?

THANK YOU!!! ab

Allman: I started working out in earnest about five years earlier, at 42. Burned out my CNS and stopped for a few years after 5 years of failure training. HST is the salvation for that.

Say hello to your new friend , Mr. Ibuprofin!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Concerning the superset bi's/tri's, should I keep bumping the weight up with each workout like the other excercises? and should i do 2 sets of the supersets x 10 reps like the others?</div>

Yes, the weight is as planned for normal workout, because it is a superset you may want to scale it down somewhat, else keep it all the same as 1 set should be enough.

Superset would mean starting the curls and immediatelly grabbing the pushdowns.
wink.gif

just finished the B workout...it does seem like a lot less work im doing but the superset really creates a nice phat pump for sure!...i will cut it back to a single superset next time...thankyou!!
wink.gif

quad: so far so good...had some shoulder joint aches early on but never seem to bother me anymore and i rather enjoy the muscle soreness...

<div>
(Fausto @ Mar. 13 2007,02:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squats/SLDL - alternate A/B
Pullups/Cable Rows - alternate A/B
Incline Bench/Dips - alternate A/B
Side lat raises/Military press  - alternate A/B
Curls/Cable pushdowns(triceps) - superset each day
Standing Calf Press

I would not worry much about teh isos but use one set as a superset it should help some!</div>
I sent a pm to Fausto about this as well. I have adopted his A/B split to work my 10s( which end this week) and for the 5's starting next week. .

The question I have and cant seem to get straight in my thick skull is:

using the a/b will only give me 3 workouts per 2 week block on some of the excercises instead of 6 like I did on the 15s. once i establish my 5rm should i divide that by 3 instead of 6 to get my increments? will that be too much to go up every workout?
wow.gif

thanks!! ab

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">using the a/b will only give me 3 workouts per 2 week block on some of the excercises instead of 6 like I did on the 15s. once i establish my 5rm should i divide that by 3 instead of 6 to get my increments? will that be too much to go up every workout?
wow.gif
</div>

If you want your frequency to still be 3x/week, then, yes, you should change your increments to 3 since you are alternating. I usually go by a standard set of 6 increments for 2 weeks. If my frequency is 3x/week for an A/B split, then I block out half of the days for A and B.

Hope that made sense.
laugh.gif

allman...

Although I sent you an answer Colby here gave his input too, that is basically better to get more input than just one so that you get all sides of the diamond (so to say).

Maybe this will help, there is a sample routine on the attached Excel sheet just put in your own stuff!

Thanks for all of the input fella's...I got the file downloaded as well Fausto and am getting the workout down. Thank you very much...ab

Back