Protein shakes mixed w/milk or water - which tastes better?

Jester

Per title, I normally mix it w/skim milk but am going to Malaysia for a holiday to see the in-laws and don't really want to be asking them to buy 2L's of milk per day for mixing. I find it hard to take the stuff just mixed in w/water, but I might be using the wrong brand if most ppl take it that way. Just wondering ... ?

It tastes better with milk of course. But most protein powders have acceptable taste wit water. Specialy whey proteins. Casein in water is more chalky.

Depends on the brand but yeah... when bulking I use milk, when cutting I use water or skim and just choke it down.

Tastes best with full on cream. I usually through a little cream + some almond milk together, then drink it. Tastes great.

For your purposes, powdered milk is the best option I think. I used to do that when I traveled and wanted to bring my protein shakes with me. Now, they sell so many of them all over, it's easy to find and I don't bother bringing anything with me.

Sadly, they sell next to nothing in Malaysia. GNC only recently landed and it's essentially just their self-branded sugar-powders. I made the entire extended family laugh by raiding 9 different franchises of the same chemist across Kuala Lumpur because they were the only place stocking protein bars (thank god for Horleys and expansive capitalism).

Milk powder sounds interesting, I might mess around with it and see what the minimum I can stomach added for taste is.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (chocolate mint) and Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein (chocolate supreme) are the two proteins that I currently use. I mix them together about 70/30. I stir up the dry powder really well then add water. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I like the taste. The Casein thickens everything up, so it has more of a "creamy" consistency.

Sweet, thanks for a recommendation, clarification: is that the 'Gold Standard 100% Whey' ? Also, the 4 flavours for 4.5kg/10lb tubs are Rocky Road, Dbl Choc, Strawberry and Vanilla - has anyone tried Rocky Road or Strawberry?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, "gold standard" is what I've been using lately.

I've never tried any other flavors than Chocolate Mint for the Whey and Chocolate Supreme for Casein. They were the first flavors I tried and I've liked them enough that I don't feel any need to try anything different (kinda my personality I suppose... once I find something I like, I pretty much stick with it forever.)

Am slowly changing the composition from 100% to about 50% milk, and then taste dependent, will work down to all water eventually (or at least find out what the lowest % milk with taste impact is).

I use one serving (1 cup) of the fat free Hood Calorie Countdown milk for mine, and it makes a huge difference over water. And the numbers are really good:
35 cals
0 fat
4 carbs
6 pro

Here's my latest recipe:

1/2 cup skim milk
2 scoops choc. whey
1 tbs. Hersheys Special dark cocoa (only 12 cal.)
1 tbs. espresso powder

Shake it up and add to about 12oz. of coffee. Enough for 2 servings. For the whey I use, its 54g of protein, 6g carbs, 0 fat, and 340 cal.

I've always used gold standard whey protein, but just recently bought GNC's Wheybolic Extreme 60. This stuff mixes great with water. I'll either mix it with water or coconut milk.

Pure egg protein(natural) tastes like shit mixed with water and even worse in in milk. Whey powders (natural again) just taste like gruel when mixed with milk and even thinner gruel mixed with water.

I have tried quite a few different whey protein products and Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey has always mixed and tasted the best with water. I also use Silk Pure Almond almondmilk (original flavor) and it tastes pretty good.

Here is one post workout shake I make:

8 oz. almondmilk
one banana
2 TBS Skippy natural creamy peanut butter (4 TBS if I want more calories)
3-4 second squeeze of Pure Clover Honey
1 scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard protein powder (Vanilla or Chocolate)
Mix in blender (I use a Magic Bullet since it is a small volume and it mixes right it the cup to drink from)

I have made the same shake with one scoop of chocolate Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein protein but you have to double the amount of almond milk because the casein protein is so thick. I did make it once with only 8 oz and I could have eaten it with a spoon as a dessert.

I use Muscletech whey protein plus. It's got Creatine Monohydrate mixed in, and it tastes great. Chocolate tastes the best.
Also, jay cutler used it to help him take the mr Olympia crown... It's better than steroids! ;)

I use Muscletech whey protein plus. It's got Creatine Monohydrate mixed in, and it tastes great. Chocolate tastes the best.
Also, jay cutler used it to help him take the mr Olympia crown... It's better than steroids! ;)

I tried that a couple of years ago (tried both vanilla and chocolate and got it at Sam's Club). It tasted absolutely nasty. Then I saw a while ago that they re did the flavoring so I bought another 5 pound bag and it was 1,000,000 times better tasting than the original stuff. It's a pretty good price too at Sam's Club. I also used EAS Whey protein for a few years when Sam's Club was selling it. Actually I think I may have seen some smaller 2 or 3 lb. bags at Sam's Club the last time I was there. The EAS vanilla tastes like @ss but the chocolate is OK.

Currently using Dymatize "Elite Gourmet" which is about a 60/40 blend of whey protein and casein. It also has 3 grams of fiber in every scoop. "Cookies and cream" flavor tastes like a true milkshake even mixed in water. "Peanut butter chocolate" doesnt taste as good, but is even $5 cheaper than the better tasting varieties... So lately I've been going with that. Overall, it's about $10 cheaper than Gold Standard Whey.

Post workout, I've been mixing my "PB Chocolate" protein and creatine in dark chocolate almond milk (made with real sugar, vice HFCS.) Very tasty.

I must be weird because I think it's just fine with water...with milk its a little too heavy, but it does taste better.

Back