press behind neck

faz

does anyone still do these are they any better than ordinary presses or pulldowns...or are they a waste of time.

Behind the neck pull downs are very ill advised. bad for your shoulders, don't use lats enough.

I'm thinking that presses wouldn't be much better, the angle just doesn't look right.

Agreed!

Bad for the shoulders, front it is
tounge.gif

Hey, by all means if you like it do it! But it is no good for the rotator cuffs!
wow.gif

i think it is something that depends on the individual. behind the neck is harder on the shoulder, but some can handle the extra strain others cant.

the only way to find out is try it yourself. start with lower weights and increase them slowly to see if there is any strain.

I haven't had any problems doing military presses behind the neck. I prefer 'em because I think they hit the rear delts to a greater extent. (As with most trainees, my rear delts need more attention than my anteriors.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gripstrength @ Sep. 17 2005,6:30)]I haven't had any problems doing military presses behind the neck. I prefer 'em because I think they hit the rear delts to a greater extent.
Whoa...you hit delts with military presses. Gotta see that
crazy.gif

Looks like you left out a word there, Tcup. Anyway, yup, I do hit rear delts with militaries...then again, I tend to use the names "behind the neck press" and "military press" interchangeably, which might not be entirely accurate if you think of militaries as being done only to the front.

Anyway, BHN presses definitely recruit your rear delts more than militaries do.

So you mean with rear delts lateral deltoids not posterior deltoids, right?

Even then, both presses hit mainly to you anterior deltoids. lateral deltoids work as a synergist.

Maybe it's just me, but I think tows and chins recruit rear delts the best...a shoulder press doesn't seem to require the rear delts much at all...

By rear delts, I mean the suckers in the back. :)

I agree with you, Jester--rows are better by far for rear delts than any kind of press. My earlier point was simply that I think doing presses behind the neck activate that muscle to a greater extent than than doing 'em to the front.

while they are involved slightly in pressing (stabilising usually), front OR back of the head, they are nowhere near maximally activated or even activated enough to say its a good exercise for them.

Rows and chins are far far better.

so funny this topic being brought up. just the other day i saw this little guy pulling behind his neck. so i said to him "i'm not one to bother people when they're working out, but what you're doing is just no good for you at all, it's going to hurt you". he just looked at me and said "you have no idea what you're talking about". i thought the attitude was just so rude, so i flexed my right arm and said that "i must know something". and walked away. a few minutes later he was pulling infront. funny.

thanks for the bandwidth,
ephman

...while they are involved slightly in pressing (stabilising usually), front OR back of the head, they are nowhere near maximally activated or even activated enough to say its a good exercise for them.

Read again: I didn't say I use any kind of press specifically to hit rear delts--just that I choose a version that recruits the rear delts more. It is rather obvious that presses aren't the optimal exercise for that muscle, and I didn't say that they are.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gripstrength @ Sep. 22 2005,7:15)]It is rather obvious that presses aren't the optimal exercise for that muscle, and I didn't say that they are.
If you know this why do you do them?

Tcup, I do BHN presses because they've added two inches to my shoulders in four months. 'Nuff said.
laugh.gif

Back