PL / HST hybrid q

kid largo

Hi folks,

i'm working on an HST/COnjugate periodisation hybrid and was wondering:

If I perform "repetition method" HST style before I do my max effort lift (both on the same exercise) will it be as/less/more efficient? From the neural adaption perspective, providing I lowered the weight of course, could you point out how it would be different?
I thought it might even be better because I'm a beginner PLer and can't summon the intensity or % of muscle fibres and being fatigued may assist..

Thanks,
Adam.

I think you'll need to describe your system. And before you do, let me lend you the honest opinion that it probably won't work too well :confused:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kid largo @ Jan. 03 2005,1:21)]Hi folks,
i'm working on an HST/COnjugate periodisation hybrid and was wondering:
If I perform "repetition method" HST style before I do my max effort lift (both on the same exercise) will it be as/less/more efficient? From the neural adaption perspective, providing I lowered the weight of course, could you point out how it would be different?
I thought it might even be better because I'm a beginner PLer and can't summon the intensity or % of muscle fibres and being fatigued may assist..
Thanks,
Adam.
dont do speed workouts, do repetition workouts HST style.. and on hte ME day, work up to 5x5, with the last set basically as heavy as you can do.

then follow by more rep work

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Jan. 02 2005,10:02)]I think you'll need to describe your system. And before you do, let me lend you the honest opinion that it probably won't work too well :confused:
yeah I tried it today and my max was extremely low after heavy bench..... so I'll scrap it.

My "system" :) was basically:
-2 day split (upper/lower)
-2x a week
-one ME day for each
-repetition work HST style of both the ME exercise, accessory muscles and every other body part.
-high volume to compensate for lower frequency.

I was still working on how to implement DE day but I'll drop it on aarons advice..

I may only do 2-3 reps on ME attempts tho..

You're doing something similar right bosox?

well not quite. Once I get to my 5's, I break it down to twice a week and basically just do 5x5 with the big movements. But instead of building up to a max, I use a weight I can do for five sets of five. Once I get all 25 reps, I up the weight.

Not sure sure if this better than building up to a max for 4 sets and then hitting it on the 5th (is it?) but it's what I've been doing and I like it :). I'd recommend that you keep the stretch movements in (or add them). My workout is kind of like bench 5x5, then flies.... weighted chins 5x5 then pullovers, etc.

after you've done 25 reps can you go much further up? I'm following aarons advice now cos I cant go very heavy after that much rep work.

My Program (sort of evolving):

Legs:
2 sets of box squats (LOVE them)
2 sets of reg squats
3 sets of deadlifts
3 sets of SLDL

Upper:
4 sets of bench
3 sets of skull crushers
4 sets of bent over row
3 sets of inc bi's

I sort of play around with volume a little depending on how I feel (probs shouldnt but #### it). Dont really keep care about reps as long as the weight goes up (and I dont go from 8reps to 2reps etc!)

Do you have any idea how to do those stretch point skullcrushers that vicious was talking about? Don't know how to really get the stretch in that movement.. maybe decline bench with elbows back more?? any ideas?

Back