New to HST

bprime

Been reading around, and am just about ready to start my first HST routine, but I have a quick, simple question.
How many sets do I do? On the website (http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html), it shows that I should work out each muscle 9 times a week. In the forum (http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=279), it says that the most popular is 1x15, 2x10, 3x5. So for the 15s I should only be working each muscle 3 times a week? Or can I do 3x15, 3x10, and 3x5?
Thanks in advance.

I'll try and make this as simple as possible:

2 sets is the 'standard' or the norm for most.

If you do 2x15, 2x10 and 2x5 then it's fine.

You want to handle as much volume as possible so that it doesn't hamper your frequency or strength in the next workout.

Along with this, you want to maintain the 'metabolic' stimulus during your workouts. This is why 3x5 is often used, or 2x5 with a dropset (taking off say 30% of the weight and pushing out a further 12 reps or so).

Re: 9 times per week. The point here is that 9 sets on your chest in one workout is the same volume as 3x 3sets over a week. With regards to BBing psychology, many people have problems initially from going to 15-20 sets for once body part 4 or 5 times a week (Arms, Back, Chest, Legs, Shoulders days) to full body 3x a week with only 2-4 sets per body part.

2 sets per exercise is fine.

bprime

Jester has pretty much covered!

The 15's are usually pretty hard, that is why most of us do 1 set then, 2 in the 10's and 3 in the 5's.

Remember that the main HST introductory article has a one size fit all type of workout, and that in itself will never suit all that is why we say HST is a set of principles and not a set of workout rules, do this then do that.

You put in as much volume as you see fit without going to failure, that is that, your choice.

Feed your face well and keep the principles alive and you should see great results, also don't expect 1 cycle = 100% satisfactory results, as this may not apply to all, many variables make this point true or false accordingly
thumbs-up.gif

That is it mate, happy lifting!

Back