Negs for last two weeks?

windjammer

I have two training partners so negatives sound like a good thing to try right now. We start week seven today. On the HST for dummies it says to perform your 2RM for two weeks. Does this mean the progression is forgotten, or should I use progressively heavier weights each workout until the last day, upon which we would do the 2RM?

Also, how are they negatives if you can pump out two reps?

<div>
(windjammer @ Oct. 22 2007,14:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also, how are they negatives if you can pump out two reps?</div>
Probably because you are doing two (or more) sets of 5 with weights you struggle to lift even twice...

<div>
(windjammer @ Oct. 22 2007,12:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
Hey windjammer,

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have two training partners so negatives sound like a good thing to try right now. We start week seven today. On the HST for dummies it says to perform your 2RM for two weeks. Does this mean the progression is forgotten, or should I use progressively heavier weights each workout until the last day, upon which we would do the 2RM? </div>

Once you are using weight loads equivalent to your 2RM, the weight is sufficiently heavy to do what you need it to do. There is no longer any need to progress the weight for this period of time.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also, how are they negatives if you can pump out two reps?</div>

They are negatives because you are not supposed to be doing any heavy lifting...only heavy lowering. So basically, your partner will do most of the work to lift it, then you will lower it on your own.

I would advise that you select your exercises carefully during this period. There are some exercises that lend themselves to negatives and others that do not. For example. Squats and dead lifts are not so great for negatives. Instead use extensions and curls. Leg press can be done if you have two willing spotters and a machine with safety stops...but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Likewise for the upper body. Choose exercises that are easy to spot, not ones that put your spotter in an awkward/unstable position to assist you.

Do 6-8 reps per set, adding reps as you can.

-bryan

Back