Need help. My Routine

xene007

Hi guys, first of all ive to say that my english is no good so..be patient
biggrin.gif

Ive tried to do HST early in this year but i couldnt finish the cycle cause of an injury (playing football - soccer in usa.) I did it to the 1st negative week almost, i did get bigger mostly in arms and back. I am a newbie started training regular since july last year and never quit. But hst only this year.

I dont know if i get the routine right, i think its too long takes me nearle 1 hour 20 min aprox..thing is i dont want to leave anything out...thats why i asked you because you know a lot more and have much more expierience.

My routine is A, B...3 times per week...example Monday A Wendesday B Friday A..

I get the cycles right, my trouble is with the excercises

Routine A on the 15 weeks (i dont know all the names in english i hope you understand)

legs, lower back
-Squats 2x15
-Deadlift Stiff legged 1x15

back
-pulldowns w/N 2x15 (with the machine, i do the them with my weight hanging on the 5s week, i cant do more than 7 or 8 max...im new on this when i started i didnt make more than 3)
-Rows T bar 2x15 (1wide and 1narrow)

chest
-Incline bench press 2x15
-Dumbell in bench, its called APERTURA here dont know exactly in english...you open wide and close it

shoulders
-Military press 1x15
-dumbell flyes 2x15

biceps
-bicep curl 2x15

triceps
-triceps dumbell with two hands, behind the neck and up 2x15

legs
-mmmm twins we call them, standing 2x15 its the leg inferior

abs
-abs crunches weighted or hanging for inferiors

B Routine
its the same but i replace
deadlift with the machine femorales...(too heavy deadlift 3 times a week)
bench press incline with regular
-pullover instead of "apertura"
-preacher curl instead of curls
-triceps between benches (i get 15 burning)
-twins seated
-abs

I think its too long i need suggestions but i want to attack rightly every muscle.

-Then on the 10 week i change the biceps excersise, change the preacher with hammer tipe

-and in the 5 week i do DIPS for chest and triceps, and Pulldowns (with my body weight.

-conclusion i do in the end of the week 9 series of legs, 9 series for chest, 12 for back, 6 for biceps and 6 for triceps

-i do not change the volume, and i remove the zig zag

Thank you for reading and again sorry for my english...

pd: im 26y height 1.80m weight 79kilos

you're doing too much that's why it's taking you so long. Try to read through the stickies here and follow a basic routine for a cycle. It'll probably take you about 30 minutes to get through it.

A B
Squats Deadlifts
Bench Press Dips
Shoulder Press Shoulder Press(incline bench)
Bent over row Pullups/chinups
Leg curls Leg curls
Triceps Biceps
Calves Calves

You can switch some of those up like do some kind of SLDL or romanian deadlift instead of leg curls, but that'll basically hit every muscle and it's alomst all compound movements.

Or

"A" routine:

Squat, chin, dip

"B" routine

Deadlift, bench, row

Anything more than that is just extra...

Be sure to read Fausto's Simplify and Win thread.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Be sure to read Fausto's Simplify and Win thread. </div>

Highjacked!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, go there, not because I started it, but because there are some real good routines and opinions, just pick one, but man...TR's one although abreviated if doen with heavy weights is the bomb, but you must lift heavy to get results!
cool.gif

thanks for your advices, im looking foward to cut my routine now and excited to go to the gym and try. I guess ill make it with less rest periods now, heavier and faster.

Im looking the fausto`s topic &quot;simplify and win&quot; i cant find it, where is located? ive searched trough his posting history cant find it.

Thanks!

<div>
(HstRiggins @ Jul. 08 2008,2:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">you're doing too much that's why it's taking you so long. Try to read through the stickies here and follow a basic routine for a cycle. It'll probably take you about 30 minutes to get through it.

A B
Squats Deadlifts
Bench Press Dips
Shoulder Press Shoulder Press(incline bench)
Bent over row Pullups/chinups
Leg curls Leg curls
Triceps Biceps
Calves Calves

You can switch some of those up like do some kind of SLDL or romanian deadlift instead of leg curls, but that'll basically hit every muscle and it's alomst all compound movements.</div>
how many SETS would you do on that routine?

<div>
(xene007 @ Jul. 10 2008,11:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">how many SETS would you do on that routine?</div>
If you follow vanilla HST routine using 15, 10 and 5 reps mesocycles, I would recommend 1 set in the 15s, 1.5-2 sets for the 10s and 3 sets for the 5s.

<div>
(electric @ Jul. 10 2008,10:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(xene007 @ Jul. 10 2008,11:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">how many SETS would you do on that routine?</div>
If you follow vanilla HST routine using 15, 10 and 5 reps mesocycles, I would recommend 1 set in the 15s, 1.5-2 sets for the 10s and 3 sets for the 5s.</div>
ok, im fine with that..only that in the week of the 5...im not sure if i can get 24 sets. I mean if i pick up 8 excersises, it would be 24 sets of heavy weights cause of the 5 range..not sure ill give a try.

Right now im entering the 10 week, with the new routine.

Thank you very much

<div>
(xene007 @ Jul. 10 2008,12:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(electric @ Jul. 10 2008,10:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
If you follow vanilla HST routine using 15, 10 and 5 reps mesocycles, I would recommend 1 set in the 15s, 1.5-2 sets for the 10s and 3 sets for the 5s.</div>
ok, im fine with that..only that in the week of the 5...im not sure if i can get 24 sets. I mean if i pick up 8 excersises, it would be 24 sets of heavy weights cause of the 5 range..not sure ill give a try.

Thank you very much</div>
You are correct, if the weights are heavy, 3 sets of 5 in 8 exercises 3 times a week can be too much. Instead of dropping the number of sets I would ratter drop some exercises like biceps/triceps isolation, leg curls and calves. Or at least reduce the number of sets on these exercises while maintaining on the others. If you are really pushing yourself on the loads during the 5s reducing frequency to 2x week is also an option. You are the best judge of how are you handling loads, volume and frequency.

what about this routine ive just diagramed?

Monday A - Wendesday B - Friday A..so on

Routine A Routine B

-Squats -Squats
-DL -Leg Curls
-pulldowns -T bar rows
-Incline Bench Press -flat bench
press(DIPS on the
5s week)
-shoulder press -shoulder press
-bicep curls -preacher
-tricep french press -triceps
-standing calves -calves seated

Will i ve hitting all muscles? Im not sure about SHOULDERS should i add lateral rises? or alternate..?

Thank you

<div>
(electric @ Jul. 10 2008,11:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(xene007 @ Jul. 10 2008,12:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

Thank you very much</div>
You are correct, if the weights are heavy, 3 sets of 5 in 8 exercises 3 times a week can be too much. Instead of dropping the number of sets I would ratter drop some exercises like biceps/triceps isolation, leg curls and calves. Or at least reduce the number of sets on these exercises while maintaining on the others. If you are really pushing yourself on the loads during the 5s reducing frequency to 2x week is also an option. You are the best judge of how are you handling loads, volume and frequency.</div>
ok! i think ill try droping the set on the biceps, triceps, leg curls and calves first on the 5s.

Thank you very much for the alternatives you gave me very interesting

<div>
(xene007 @ Jul. 10 2008,9:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Im looking the fausto`s topic &quot;simplify and win&quot; i cant find it, where is located?</div>
Try here...

thank you tunnelrat.

I think this is my new routine on the 10 weeks. Opinions expected
biggrin.gif

Routine A Routine B

-Squats x2 -SL Dead Lifts x2
-Lying leg curls x1 -Leg Curls x1
-pullup/chinup 1/1 * -Bentover Rows x2
-Incline Bench Press x2 - flatbench press x2
-shoulder press x2 - shoulder pressx2
- DB preacher curls x2 - skull crushers x2
-stading calves x2 -seated calves x2
-abs -abs

observations.
-pullup chinup i do them on the machine because i cant get 10 reps with my own weight.

changes on the 5 week.
-pullup chinup with my own weight
-on the 5 week ill add DIPS instead of flat bench press (A incline bench B dips) (cant get 10 reps of dips right now)
-barbell curl instead of DB preacher curl
-Im not sure about im hitting the lats on shoulder with doing only shoulder press? should i add/swap something there?
-should i make STANDING shoulder press instead of seated?
-in this particular routine whats the best combo, incline bench press + dips or flat bench press + dips?

I'd leave out the arm and leg curls, abs, and skulls until you've done a few cycles. The same goes for calf exercises. You'll find that squats and deadlifts will do the job for your legs and abs in the beginning. Chins and Dips will work for your arms as well as for your back and chest.

I'd do a real deadlift instaad of SLDL, but that's just my preference. You might want to add some Dips.

So it might look something like this:

Routine A Routine B

-Squats x2 -Dead Lifts x2
-pullup/chinup 1/1 * -Bentover Rows x2
-Incline Bench Press x2 - flatbench press x2
-shoulder press x2 - shoulder pressx2
-Dips

thank you tunnel rat..

ill leave out the leg and arm curls on the 5`s weeks and negatives and im going to increase to 3 sets to keep the volume.

ill try standart deadlift on my next cycle i guess..i always done SLDL, it took me long time to get it right..changing it and learning the regular DL on the middle of the cycle would be problematic to me hehe..if anyone gets videos of how to do regular DL correctly, be my guest!

so, my routine on the 5`s will look like this:

Routine A Routine B

-Squats x3 -SL Dead Lifts x3
-pullup/chinup 2/2 * -Bentover Rows x3/4
-Incline Bench Press x3 - chest dips x3
-shoulder press x3 - shoulder pressx3
-abs -abs

*pullup-chinup should i rise 2/2 or 2/1, 1/2 ..?

pd: im not thaat new on the gym, i started &quot;religiosly&quot; since june last year...never miss a training day only on illness.
do you think if i train directly my arms it would be waste of time?

thanks for your time.

<div>
(xene007 @ Jul. 14 2008,7:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">if anyone gets videos of how to do regular DL correctly, be my guest!</div>
Here's my favorite:

Deadlift 405x30

(Be sure to turn the sound down...)

Im back
biggrin.gif

Im finishing the 1st week on the 5s, im pleased and looking foward to the 2nd week!

My routine is:

A
Squats x3
Pulldowns/Chinups 2*2
Dips x3
Shoulder press x3
Abs

B
Deadlift x3
Bent over rows x3
Incline bench press x3
Shoulder press x3
Abs

thank you for the advices!

Routine looks solid. Lift heavy, eat a lot and heap the rewards.

Back