My plan

jay_89

Sup,

Please take a look at the excercises I am planning to do when I start HST in about 2 weeks.

I'm 5'6 and 147 lbs, I have been lifting for almost a year but not seriously.

My HST routine:

Legs:
Leg press
Leg curls

Chest:
Bench Press (Incline)
Dips

Back:
Chins
Seated rows

Traps:
Shrugs

Shoulders:
DB shoulder press
Lateral raise

Biceps:
BB curl

Triceps:
Pushdowns

Calves:
Calf raises

Abs:
Crunches

I would appreciate it if you could provide feedback. Thanks
laugh.gif

WTF no squats or deadlift? FAIL!

Also do BB rows instead of seated rows.

Cut the pushdowns... they are unnecessary when doing dips.

I would probably cut out the curls and lateral raises too.

If you are gonna do isolations use them properly. If you do want a tricep isolation the skull crusher is a much better exercise compared to pushdowns.

I'll suggest the ol' standby again, alternate A&B workouts MWF:

A: oylmpic squats, bench, 90 degree bent rows (or power cleans), standing OH press;
B: conventional deadlifts, dips, chins, front squats, standing OH press

Eat over maintenance (keep a daily calorie journal) get enough sleep and you should gain a pound a week. More than that you're probably putting on too much fat.

Don't let the simplicity of this routine fool you, you will get bigger and stronger using it.

I have to agree with liegelord. People try to complicate things too much worrying about body symmetry and so on and so forth. If you focus on increasing the basic lifts and you push yourself hard, you will grow all over. Seriously. You are hitting the whole body with this. Hell, deadlifts in the 5 rep range even make the muscles in my hands sore when I go heavy enough.
I don't even worry so much about weight and size, I just make sure I'm eating over maintenance and that I'm pushing up my numbers in the major lifts. This approach has been giving me the best results I've seen so far.

Jay: this may be useful to you:

From the lifting standards guide, for a bodyweight of 148lbs, these are the loads in lbs listed for a few compound exercises:

Bench 109 140 172 234 291

Squat 101 188 230 313 410

Deadlift 126 234 269 380 482

Press 69 94 119 140 169

Loads listed in this order: Untrained Novice Intermediate Advanced Elite

If you are up to or around the intermediate range you should be focussing on the big compound movements as Liege suggested until you are bigger and stronger. If you are below you definitely should!

Back