Militarypress

Owndawg

Im wondering about the proper teqnique for militarypress, some guys at my local gym say you should only lower the bar to your chin..
and some say you should lower it to the chest..

which would you guys say is right?

btw where can i buy the book "starting strenght" at the lowest price?

<div>
(Owndawg @ Jan. 31 2007,09:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Im wondering about the proper teqnique for militarypress, some guys at my local gym say you should only lower the bar to your chin..
and some say you should lower it to the chest..

which would you guys say is right?

btw where can i buy the book &quot;starting strenght&quot; at the lowest price?</div>
Military Press: There is no simple answer. It all depends on a combination of the morphology of your shoulder joint and the strength of the small muscles that make up your rcuff. I recommend these two sites to learn about them:

http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/shoulder/rotator_cuff_tear_full.php and

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531

Once you move the bar below your chin (or where your triceps are no longer parallel to the floor), most of the work is being done by your Rcuff muscles, so I'd just go down to your chin and no lower. You can always strengthen your rc cuff with other exercises.

I bought mine at amazon for same price that they charge on rippetoe's website, but with free shipping

my 02 cents.

for miltary press (standing) ive never felt comfortable trying to stop the bar at my chin (sort of like trying to stop at parallel on the squat). there is a point just above the clavicle that seems to be natural stop point for me due to stretch in the pec, delt, trap etc. and this is where i bring the bar to. in reality its probably just slightly below normal chin height but since my chin is raised slightly so as not to &quot;catch&quot; the bar it is misleading.

for db or bb press from the seated position the situation appears to be completely reversed for some reason. bringing the bar (or db) all the way down just doest feel right so i typically try to stop at/around chin hgt and press up again. im sure being in the seated postition has a lot to do with this and its no surprise these days i mainly stick to the standing milt press with good results.

good luck

<div>
(stevejones @ Jan. 31 2007,17:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Once you move the bar below your chin (or where your triceps are no longer parallel to the floor), most of the work is being done by your Rcuff muscles, so I'd just go down to your chin and no lower. You can always strengthen your rc cuff with other exercises.</div>
I always thought that you should go as low as possible as the triceps take over more towards the top of the motion (bit like in the bench).

Front raises can be used for the shoulders and as that involves brining your arm up from perpendicular to parallel to the floor I always though the movement from the lower portion of the military press (I push from the upper chest) was the most important.

I remember someone talking about partials with shoulder presses and only bringing the arms up to parallel with the ground and then going back down...

Anyway, enough about where I got this line of thought from, I take it I'm pretty much wrong?!
sad.gif
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Rob

The shoulder press, when done with full ROM, is an exercise for both the front delts and triceps. When you go below your chin and to the chest, your RC muscles are doing alot of work to get the bar back up to your chin. Your front delts also do some work at that range, but you aren't putting your RC muscles under stress until you go below your chin.

If you don't have any RC issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back