Linear Periodisation?

• Thread starter imported_da1andonlychacha
  • Start date
I

imported_da1andonlychacha

Lots of powerlifters like to use linear periodisation, a term I'm sure many of you are very familiar with. It basically just progressively increases the load to get you to peak your strength at a certain time. An example might go like this.
week - sets / %age of 1RM / reps
1 - 2 @ 66.7 % x 10
2 - 2 @ 66.7 % x 10
3 - 2 @ 70.4 % x 8
4 - 2 @ 74.1 % x 8
5 - 2 @ 77.8 % x 5
6 - 2 @ 81.5 % x 5
7 - 2 @ 85.2 % x 5
8 - 2 @ 88.9 % x 5
9 - 2 @ 92.6 % x 3
10 - 2 @ 96.3 % x 3
11 - 2 @ 100 % x 2
12 - 2 @ 103.7 % x 2
13 - 1 @ 107.4 % x 1
14 - 1 @ 111.1 % x 1

This is Ed Coan's 14 wk. program. Basically, once a week you do the squat, bench, and deadlift w/ the parameters for that week. Do warmups as you see fit. The idea is that by week 14 your strength should be increased by 11.1% Now, to HST it a bit, I'd put 2 weeks of negs after week 14 then SD. It works for strength, for hypertrophy I don't know yet. One thing I would like to hear back on is assistance exercises. I don't believe he does any, but for hypertrophy it would be necessary. Also, WSB has done good work w/ assistance exercises. One possibility that occurred to me is that since there is only one workout a week, you could do another one w/ just assistance exercises. Anyway, post your thoughts. Wait, why did I even say that, I know you guys will
;)

Coans program is good, but I never got caught up in percentages, just weights (or RM as HST goes) and then work backwards to a starting weight after allowing for a set weekly progression.

Coan also trained deadlift, so in reality he would be working the musculature 2x weekly, rather than just 1x weekly.

To make that schedule compatible with HST, you'd have to up the frequency- HST is all about frequency in place of intensity, the way I read it. A good way to do that might be to do one of the three big lifts on each training day, followed by assistance work. So you might do bench every Monday on that same schedule, along with EITHER assistance work- OR the normal "easy" full body routine on the HST schedule. The latter sounds to me like it might be best for strength and hypertrophy at the same time.
Monday- Bench on Coan's schedule+full body HST (omit b.p.)
Wednesday- Squat " + " (omit squat)
Friday- Deadlift " + " (omit dead.)
This way you can do Coan's schedule once a week on the big three, and do the normal HST cycle all at once. And since 5 of 6 workouts in each HST microcycle are relatively easy, I doubt there would be a problem in terms of overtraining. Also, on that full body HST routine, you'd be hitting all of the assistance exercises. Let me know what you think. :)

To make that schedule compatible with HST, you'd have to up the frequency- HST is all about frequency in place of intensity, the way I read it. A good way to do that might be to do one of the three big lifts on each training day, followed by assistance work. So you might do bench every Monday on that same schedule, along with EITHER assistance work- OR the normal "easy" full body routine on the HST schedule. The latter sounds to me like it might be best for strength and hypertrophy at the same time.
Mon.- Bench on Coan's schedule+ full body HST (omit b.p.)
Wed.- Squat on Coan's schedule+ full body HST (omit squat)
Fri.- Deadlift on Coan's schedule+ full body HST (omit deadlift)
This way you can do Coan's schedule once a week on the big three, and do the normal HST cycle all at once. And since 5 of 6 workouts in each HST microcycle are relatively easy, I doubt there would be a problem in terms of overtraining. Also, on that full body HST routine, you'd be hitting all of the assistance exercises. You could also omit b.p., squat, and deadlift from all three training days so you're only doing those once a week on Coan's schedule, and just do the remaining assistance portion of the HST routine 3 times a week. Let me know what you think. :)

Back