HIIT total newbye

boggy

I decided to give HIIT a go this cycle but I never did it before and honestly I dont really know how to implement it.

I suppose I would just need some general guidance and practical advice...mmm actually I would need to know what I gotta do... ;)

I heard about sprinting for a few seconds (how do you count seconds while sprinting?)and then walking for a few minutes but I dont know nothing more,anyway I suppose I cant do it at the gym.

Sprinting outdoors would be your best bet, but you can also do it in a stationary bike especially in one of those used in spinning classes, the regular ones at the cardio section in gyms are not as suited to that.

I'd advise you to start with longer sprints like 15 20 seconds and not with 10s maximal sprints like I always do. I end up walking around like if I was crippled for up to 4 or 5 days after my first session.

Rest periods should also start relatively long, like around 1 minute and decrease them in further sessions if you can.

Shorter sprints and rest periods are supposed to be more effective in stimulating fat loss.

To count seconds you should ideially use a watch with an alarm timed to beep after the desired time, but I just use my analogic watch with no problems, you'll probably soon get to be able to tell the time instinctively.

If you have access to a track, then you can easily determine the distance you can cover in 20 seconds, then just repeat that distance for two weeks. Then time yourself again and adjust accordingly to your improvements. If you do not have access to a track, then maybe find a long field and use landmarks (using a stationary bike is definitely more practical - but the workload cant compare to an all out sprint) Many HIIT programs split cardio into 2 sessions per day, for 2-3 days per week. Hope this helps you out :)

There are also some treadmills which have an 'intervals' program, where you can usually adjust the maximum speed and the duration of the bout.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ June 10 2003,10:38)]Thanx for help.
Should I wait until end of 15s to start HIIT or I can start anyway?

I only do them once I'm into five's, but my five's nowadays last forever. The only problem with doing it during fifteens is that it will somewhat affect decondicioning, especially if to short sprints are used at near maximal intensity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (micmic @ June 10 2003,9:54)]There are also some treadmills which have an 'intervals' program, where you can usually adjust the maximum speed and the duration of the bout.

Yeah but since you're not really fighting inertia (spelling?) it's not the same thing at all. The acceleration part is what kills you when sprinting, and since in the threadmill you're not moving it doesn't compare. And, at least in my case, I've never seen one that would go as fast as I can sprint outdoors.

I agree that sprinting is the best way to achieve max intensity during HIIT but if you want to do it in the gym then the eliptic or crosstrainer is a great choice, much better than a bike in my view as you are using your whole body, it is also much lower impact than sprinting.

I find doing 30 sec sprints and 90sec 'jogs' works great 0 wack up the resistance level for the sprints. 5 of them and I'm fried although that may say more about my cardio level than the intenisty
butbut.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (restless @ June 10 2003,4:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (micmic @ June 10 2003,9:54)]There are also some treadmills which have an 'intervals' program, where you can usually adjust the maximum speed and the duration of the bout.
Yeah but since you're not really fighting inertia (spelling?) it's not the same thing at all. The acceleration part is what kills you when sprinting, and since in the threadmill you're not moving it doesn't compare. And, at least in my case, I've never seen one that would go as fast as I can sprint outdoors.
Well, opinions vary. Runners say that treadmills are easier than track for people with long legs and big stride since they kind of 'jump'. The opposite for short striders.

In any case, treadmills with speeds up to 25 km/h should be able to cover everyone except elite runners for 1 min sprints. For 10 sec sprints they are, of course, inadequate.

Hi, I was thinking about adding HIIT during a cutting cycle (after a lot of bulk), and I was wondering when I should do HIIT, on 'on' or 'off' days?

I've used the rower for HIIT in the gym and combined it with giant sets of medium-high reps (12-20).

I prefer HIIT outdoors. I like to sprint, run, fast walk, crunches, chins, vertical pushups, crunches, leg raises.

I do the vertical pushups by standing on my hands with my feet in the air against a wall and the chins by hanging off a tree branch!

To answer the question about on or off days, I'd say to try HIIT on it's own at first. Monitor yourself for symptoms of overtraining.

I have a strong propensity to become overtrained from HIIT, so I have to tell myself to just quit after about 30 minutes, or slow it down a bit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Shorter sprints and rest periods are supposed to be more effective in stimulating fat loss.

Is "short" like 10 second sprints and 30 seconds rest?

Elliptical works wonderfully for me.

To the poster who's about to use HIIT during a cutting cycle: I advise you to be careful about reducing your calories too much before starting HIIT; HIIT will significantly speed up your metabolism.

Jump rope is another good method of doing HIIT.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mellon @ July 28 2003,8:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Shorter sprints and rest periods are supposed to be more effective in stimulating fat loss.
Is "short" like 10 second sprints and 30 seconds rest?
I think the research I saw used 6 second sprints with 10 seconds rest periods. 10/30 seconds should be fine. I do 10/30-50, depending if I'm just starting or almost finishing.

Ok today i really tryed HIIT for the first time seriously.
I did only abot 5 mins followed by 15 mins slow jogging.
I tryed 30 seconds sprints 30 seconds jog but I couldnt complete the 30 sec sprint time so I tryed 20 sec sprint followed by 40 sec jog ,it was still too heavy I think anyway I repeat 4 times (each subsequent time reducing sprint time because of failure).
Actually legs were failing not breath (i hope you understand).
Should I try smth like 10 sec sprints and 30 sec rest?If so how many times? And how many often should I increase sprint sets?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ Aug. 09 2003,9:52)]Should I try smth like 10 sec sprints and 30 sec rest?If so how many times? And how many often should I increase sprint sets?
I use 10-15 seconds sprints with 30-50 seconds (30 in the first few "sets", more like 50 to the end) active rest periods (Jogging, or walking if I can't jog).

Back