help setting up first hst

I

imported_dkave

I want to try my first hst workout, fully.
before i tried, but summer came and i only got to half of 10rep cycle.

my exercises are (weight shown is for 10 rep cycle):
dips - 10lb
incline bench - 125
widegrip pullup - bodyweight
chinups - bodyweight
squats - 135
military press - 45lb db
shrugs - 90lb db
bicep curl + upright row are at the very end, if i have any energy left.

i dont know how to split the exercises into two days, because it seems a lot of these are compound, so similar muscles are going to be sore the next day.

should i zigzag? because the weights really overlap with the first two weeks. and is it better to do 1x15, 2x10, 3x5? or only 1 set of each. i read somewhere that doing only one set means ur volume is decreasing, and that 1, 2, 3 set is a good way to start hst. i really dont know how much to zigzag, how to split the exercises, and basically how to organize this whole thing...

im 16, and i get just the basic idea. i just want a workout based on hst, because before i just did progressive loading brainlessly...

Why not do all the listed exercises each workout 3 times per week?

If you want to split it then you can go one of two ways.

a. Push / Pull

b. Lower / Upper body

By the looks of it IMO I would go with the Push / Pull

Making your workout look like:

MWF:
Squat
Inc Press
Dip
Military Press
Shrugs

T,TH,Sa
Pull up
Chin up
Upright Row
Bicep Curl

I prefer to do 1 set of 15's, 2 sets of 10's, and 3 sets of 5's. I don't have a training partner so I continue on doing 2-3 sets of 5's for my last 2 weeks.

For you first 2 weeks don't bother with the zig zag, just repeat the same weight for 2 or 3 workouts

example (using simple numbers)
if your max bench press for 10's is 100lbs. Do 80 lbs for your first 2, 90lbs for your second two, and 100lbs for your last two workouts.

At the end of the day remember this, you're 16, your body is pumping full of testosterone and needs two things to grow....FOOD and stimulus. If you're anything like me at 16 I couldn't put on a pound for the life of me, but the true problem was that I didn't eat nearly enough. Eat, eat, and then eat some more, don't worry about any of the fancy supplements you see in the magazines. If you want to throw in some protein, go to your local health food store and buy the cheapest whey protein you can get and swallow that down. Remember to also not try to impress your friends with the amount of weight you can do, Correct form is a must and needs to be followed strictly. Don't watch the "pro" bodybuilders and try to imitate their form when lifting weights. If it's of any consequence, I find that I actually grow more when doing sub-max weight.

Let me know if I missed any of your questions

P.S. Don't forget to eat

An example of repeating weights and alternating exercises. Each line is a two week stretch. All weights in kg. All exercises done with the barbell. Workouts MWF. I alternate between the deadlift and the squat to manage lower back fatigue.

DL (deadlift)

65 xx 70 xx 75 xx
80 xx 85 xx 90 xx
95 xx 100 xxx 105 xxx
105 xxx 105 xxx 105 xxx

SQ (squat)

xx 50 xx 55 xx 60
xx 65 xx 70 xx 75
xx 80 xx 85 xx 90
xx 90 xx 90 xx 90

ROW / OP (bent row/overhead press)

40 40 40 42.5 42.5 42.5
45 45 45 47.5 47.5 47.5
50 50 50 52.5 52.5 52.5
55 55 55 55 55 55

Note the short progression span (only 15kg between lightest and heaviest) of the row/op cycles. This is done for practical application. I'm lazy and prefer to use the same rack for all exercises. I use 10kg bumper plates instead of the smaller diameter iron plates so I start with 40kg right away and repeat the weights more often. I organize in such a way to use as few plates as possible and to change as few plates as possible during the workout.

You're 16. At this time, it would serve you best to learn the fundamental compound lifts properly instead of doing a lot of lifts perhaps incorrectly. I note that you do not include the deadlift in your exercise selection. I consider the deadlift the single most important lift. It's a fundamental lift that we all do every day of our lives. The deadlift should constitute the basis of your workout. All other lifts should complement the deadlift. Learn to perform the deadlift correctly.

When you learn to perform a lift, do so with the empty bar (or with light bumper plates to make it easier to lift the bar) first for a few weeks. Then, when you become skilled in the lift, add weight as you can and progress from there. Correct technique reduces the risk of injury while simultaneously allowing to lift heavier than otherwise.

I consider these lifts to be fundamental and should form the basis of any workout:

Deadlift
Overhead press
Bent row or Pendlay row
Squat
Chin up
Dips

Read the FAQs as needed.

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Oct. 16 2007,01:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I consider the deadlift the single most important lift. It's a fundamental lift that we all do every day of our lives. The deadlift should constitute the basis of your workout. All other lifts should complement the deadlift. Learn to perform the deadlift correctly.</div>
On this point I agree with Martin. Deadlifts are fundamental.

Eat a lot, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

k, ill try to add deadlifts.

i tried to eat 6 times a day, at first with a 2400 cal diet, but haha that did not work out. i was too hungry, and even 3000 calories isn't enough, especially while lifting.

right now im just finding my maxes for 10 rep &amp; 5 rep.
how long should i be resting between sets during 5 rep cycle?

thanks for all the comments, really appreciate them!

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Oct. 16 2007,09:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Martin Levac @ Oct. 16 2007,01:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I consider the deadlift the single most important lift. It's a fundamental lift that we all do every day of our lives. The deadlift should constitute the basis of your workout. All other lifts should complement the deadlift. Learn to perform the deadlift correctly.</div>
On this point I agree with Martin. Deadlifts are fundamental.

Eat a lot, and don't be afraid to ask questions.</div>
I also agree 100% , these should be #1 . I like the way Martin states that &quot; all other lifts should compliment the deadlift&quot; - this pretty much sums up my own views , I will often dedicate an entire workout to nothing but deads - they are IMHO that vital .
smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">how long should i be resting between sets during 5 rep cycle?</div>

No magical amount of time, just listen to your body. You don't want your heart racing when you're going at another set, yet you don't want to be completely lethargic. About 1-1.5 min is a good estimate which is enough time to change the load, sip your water/protein shake, stretch, and/or possibly BS w/someone else at the gym.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 17 2007,12:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">About 1-1.5 min is a good estimate which is enough time to change the load, sip your water/protein shake, stretch, and/or possibly BS w/someone else at the gym.</div>
However, if the &quot;someone else&quot; is an attractive young female, time between sets can be stretched up to three minutes...
smile.gif

Back