Grip Training

mj0llnir

I bought some captains of crush hand grippers from ironmind.com last year at Christmas. I bought the trainer, #1, and #2. I am now able to close a #2, and just received the #3 in the mail. Is anyone on the board doing any grip training with these?

I have the #1. I can close it easily with my right hand, and about 50% of the time with my left hand but that takes a lot more effort. I'm getting the #2 for Christmas, as in it's already here but I have to wait till Christmas to open it.

Seeing as elitefts.com currently has a free shipping deal going on through the 16th, I've been thinking about asking for a book about grip strength, either John Brookfield's "Mastery of Hand Strength" or Randall Strossen and J.B. Kinney Nathan Holle's Captains of Crush Grippers. Both are $14.95, but I don't know which one would be better for the purpose of closing the grippers. Opinions anyone?

In addition to COC grippers, I've also done a little bit of phone book tearing. I checked out this website - How To Tear Phone Books - then gave it a shot. I haven't done it for a while, so I'm not nearly as good at it as I was, but I've torn through a dozen or so white pages (not that thick) and two yellow pages (pretty freakin' thick). The yellow pages were hard and I would work on it for a few minutes, then set it down and try again a while later, so I can't do it all in one sitting. But I just think it's kinda cool because if you know how to do it it's not that hard to tear a phone book, but the thing is that no one knows how to do it so people think it's really impressive.

I went to a 5x a week grip workout, and have got some quick results since my first post. I can mash the #2 back and forth a few times, rubbing the knurling, but only with my right hand. I can touch with my left, but can't maintain the grip and move my hand. I have been warming up with the #1 with 6 or 7 full grip range closes, and then hold it for a 15-count. Then I grab the #3 and squeeze it as hard as humany possible for a triple, holding for 5-10 seconds (as long as I can). I do the #3 like that 3-4 times, and my hands are done for. I can squeeze the #3 to almost parallel with my left, and slightly past parallel with my right.

Back