good read for newbies

faz

Building Your House
a beginners guide insight into the gym

By Steve Blades aka Toxictoffee, Personal Trainer and Muscletalk Mod

After many newbie questions i have decided to write a small piece on some FAQs and mistakes made by the new trainer and how to overcome them in the initial period of training. take 10 minutes out and have a read

I bought a new sofa and chair I had been saving up for ages, it really made my living room feel homely and comfortable. I had been saving for the pair for months and finally my house was complete, now I can enjoy it with knowing I had waited and earned my rewards. These two pieces of furniture were the icing on the cake to what has been a long road of hard work, sweat, grime, persistence and scrimping and saving to make the home of my dreams. Now I own my own house, with my own big TV, my own chairs and all my little gadgets to keep me happy. I am pleased to show it off to those who come round even though I have been struggling for years to pay for it. It makes me happy every time I drive home from a day working in the gym to know I have worked hard for it and it was all my own doing.

I was speaking to a young lad a while back in the gym where I was working. He asked me as, the personal trainer, which supplements he needed to get big. As many of you will know I am a straight talking no bull sh1t kind of guy. I burst out laughing as this young 18 year old, 100lb wet through lad babbled on about all the supplements on the planet as if they were magic beans. I let him finish what almost sounded like a marketing speech straight off the shopping channel. I took my hand and placed it on his shoulder….”slow down” I said. He butted in with some comment about needing to know the answer. As I was dieting at the time I then stopped him abruptly and spent the next hour quizzing him, trying to work out the mentality that seems inherent in the newbie gym trainer in the 21st century.

“What are you training today?” I asked politely, once I had regained my composure. I didn’t need to ask really, I knew, it was arms of course. I had seen the same young lad banging out the reps on isolation exercise after exercise the day before. “Bicepts” was the response. This young lad had probably never performed a compound movement in his life yet thought the way to the body of an Adonis was through curl after curl.
I kind of knew this was where we were going and he continued to try and steer the conversation back onto the magic beans he could see on the shelf in the background. I tried to move him away, guiding him onto the gym floor, I proceeded to ‘load’ the Olympic bar with a 2.5kg plate either side. I suggested that if he gave me 20 minutes of his time I would buy him a shake from the fridge at the end. I rarely do anything for nothing in the gym but this was a lesson that had to be taught by myself and learnt by the young lad
“20 minutes?” he asked, giggling thinking he was in for an easy ride. In my mind I already had the squats, deads, flat bench and bent over row laid out to finish him off. It was possibly not the best set up but I wanted to really ensure that these multi joint killers would put a stop to the theory that its all about bicep curls and potions and lotions being the be all and end all of getting big.
I ran through the technique of each, performing a couple of reps myself and then ushering him into position and encouraging him as we went into each set. Watching someone deadlift for the first time is great, it simply tells a story, the story of building mass, the pain, the sickness but the joy of slamming the reps out to near failure. 25 kilos on this bar had little Tommy in a mess, 10 reps down and he dropped the bar quicker than you could say creatine. Ass to the grass squats with his legs ready to buckle under the ‘stress’ of 25 kilos, which ironically was the same weight he was swinging round the day before on his bicep curls.
After 20 minutes, repping out squats, deads, bench presses and rows the poor lad looked like he had done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Priceless
“Fancy a shake?” I asked. His response was a little muffled but I think it was negative and somewhere along the lines of the ‘magic beans’ being the last thing on his mind.
I sent him home “sans PWO” to have a think where this would take him.
Next day Tommy come into the gym looking like he had been auditioning for a role in a John Wayne remake. “You ok mate?” I asked. The response was a little sheepish but with almost a sadistic smile he said “that was ace”
“Too right it was Tommy” that’s bodybuilding. Four exercises, 20 minutes had done more for him than the last 6 months of isolation after isolation.
I have taken Tommy under my wing. When he asks about the new powder on the market I take him back to my story about the chairs in my house and he soon realises where we are going.
“Would you train me then?” he asked. I took a moment to think it through. This could be a great advert for my training as I could get this guy looking good if he nailed his diet and could get him lifting big over the next 6 months or so
“Ok, I said” with a little hesitation “if I am going to do it you must bring in your diet for 3 days, in time form, what days you train and general info on your lifestyle”
Tommy agreed to this, even though he was still looking over my shoulder at the glutamine on the shelf, I was sure I could change this mentality once we got going.

Wednesday night, he came in, loads of paper in hand and passed me his diet. I sat down, had a look “it’s ok though I am taking those shakes with it” he informed me once he saw me looking like a parent who had just been handed the letter from the headmaster. I don’t expect everyone who trains to know about nutrition and the ins and outs of a mass building diet, but some appreciation would be nice seeing as he was clued up on all the brand supplements under the sun. When I scanned Tommy’s eating habits it simply resembled that of a Z list celeb on a famine like diet. The odd mars bar here and glass of milk to wash down the ready meal.
These are the people I love to work with. They are so easy to make gains with because there training is so wrong, their diet is non existent and they are so malleable you can morph them into well built, strong lads in no time.
I started talking EFAs, root veg, lean protein and he looked through me and I had the impression I was being ignored. He butted in “but which pills should I have?” I told him I had some, they were called reality pills and he was going to be fed them and fed them frequently. I started to become stern with him and explain at quality physique doesn’t comes easily. “Build your house and furnish it later” I shouted thinking of my two seats I had recently purchased, working months for in the process. ”lets get one thing straight” I bellowed “if you want to swing around doing bicep curls and eating fast food, go ahead, if you want the gains, shut up, sit down and listen”
Over the next few months Tommy and I worked together. We changed the diet around to make it fun, sustainable but ensure adequate macro and micronutrients were being consumed at key times to facilitate growth and a healthy existence. Machines in the main were weeded out for the free weight alternative. The word isolation was something to describe a hermit living on an island, not something we would base our routine around. The word compound was flavour of the month, deads, squats, bench, dips, rows, SLDLs, pressing became second nature and the language we used from there on in. People would ask Tommy what he was up to when he was in and out of the gym in 40 minutes. Why wasn’t he here more than 3 times a week? What was he eating?
Questions were being asked by his peer group and gym goers of all types. He must be on the steroid shake thingies. This turned into our personal joke between sets, sets Tommy wanted to push on with, I simply became gym monkey and spotter as he ploughed through the weights and the poundage went up and up. A few times in the early days he piped up with “have you seen that new supplement Ronnie has?” I didn’t respond and merely ushered him on to the next exercise with the look of a pissed off parent. The gym bag he brought in started to become rammed with Tupperware full of chicken and broccoli, pasta and tuna and the PWO shaker loaded with all the aminos and carbs his body craves. Gone were the glossy magazines with adverts galore. He knows what to do and simply writes down every session in a small book, watching the weights increase month by month
Tommy is no longer a newbie, he has moved beyond the honeymoon period as I call it. This period is where the body simply loves to change shape, rapid gains appear and the crazy idea of the simultaneous cut and bulk comes in. people strip fat and build muscle. No pills, no potions, simply stimulating muscles and regulating their eating habits. People have begged Tommy for his training plan; they would love to know which magic beans he has. The answer is simple, none, quality eating habits, commitment and appreciation of hard training and understanding that the bodybuilding game is a long road. Unlike everything in today’s society the body cannot be bought. No 0% finance and pay sometime later. This is about the long hard road. Supplements that claim to add X% amount to your strength. So what if they do? Without the diet in place, without the training plan adhered to week in week out this means nothing. I didn’t just go and put my two new chairs on a building site and sit there did I? I called in the architects, I had the house designed, the labourers built it over a long period of time and then we decorated it. Then and only then were we ready for the TV and chairs. I can’t live with a chair alone, what use is a TV if I have to have it outdoors?
Yes supplements help, but they are just that, they supplement a diet, don’t rely on them, don’t think they will get you the body you want, its not going to happen.

Anyway enough of my story telling it never was my forte. What is my forte is training newbies and answering their questions, so below are some examples of what I here and my take on them

Excellent article...so true.

But thats the main problem with most people. They dont want to hear about "right diet, exercise", they just want the quick pill, the new machine to build abs in 6 seconds. You talk to these people and they just dont want to know about the "right" way to train - whether its building muscle or losing weight. And thats what pisses me off.

A guy at work keeps on about Cyclone being better than my simple gainer and whey (which I use to "supplement" my diet). How some liquid he bought from the US is 100x more effective than creatine. The funny thing is that he's making no gains because he trains too infrequently and spends most evenings in the pub.

I go home 3x a week to but my ass for 40mins on compounds and my weight's steadily increasing and my gains are noticeable.

Those who look and feel good will always be a minority because the majority of people are too lazy and impatient to get the job done properly. They cant really want to change because if they did, they'd do something about it.

agree ..thats why i think this is a great article to show newbies when they ask silly questions
biggrin.gif
not that i mind everyone has to start somewhere but a lot of these stupid mags are to blame
rock.gif

I had a good laugh
laugh.gif

Isn't interesting how these muscle mags make people assume stupid things and miss all logic.

Then they quote some "champion" saying how they latest strategy to building arms is this or that and bang....the kids get addicted to the damn curls!
sad.gif

Fortunatelly I grew up in a athletics environment and many of my growing friends liked to squat, some real haevy and as legs were important then so...they are still now.

My initial learning phase with HST took me through the concept that it is the compounds (I really like to call them the big five), here in South Africa the big five are:

Elephant - Definitely the deadlift in terms of power/strength.
Rhino - almost as powerful and really strong, squats for sure.
Buffalo - Well this is the bench, still powerful and agile.
Lion - The real deal, strong at best and agile, Military press
Leopard - This is the stock-thief, agile as nothing, but strong, will climb trees with the prey in its mouth - Chin ups

Just thought I'd relate them to each exercise and why I like to call them the big five. These get your all body going, and as Steve Blades put it, once you have buiolt the house then you can buy the chairs, the chandelliers, the pretty little add-ons, etc.

Nough'said!

Well, faz, if the muscle mags don't say the wrong things, they won't be able to get the advertisers.
laugh.gif
No wonder they're loaded with loads of protein powder, shakes, bars, ready-to-drink in cans, etc. It's just their job to prey on the ignorant, just to make a buck.

Very nice article. Isolations are for hermits, true. If you want to be Arnold, work on compounds first. When you're a monster and you are just dying for so much work, then sure, add in isos to specialize or something.

Sadly, some people, out of habit, can't seem to make themselves believe that focusing on the big compounds only will be enough. Especially noobs who are so sold to the aforementioned muscle mags
biggrin.gif
What a cycle!

Cheers,
-JV

Yeh, all you need is rock hard abs, biceps of steel, and a buff chest.

It amazes me how a rag like MensHealth can have a new way of getting "rock hard abs"/"bigger biceps"/"pumped chest" month after month for years.

Marketing is truely fantastic.

<div>
(NeeBone @ Jul. 05 2006,16:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeh, all you need is rock hard abs, biceps of steel, and a buff chest.

It amazes me how a rag like MensHealth can have a new way of getting &quot;rock hard abs&quot;/&quot;bigger biceps&quot;/&quot;pumped chest&quot; month after month for years.

Marketing is truely fantastic.</div>
this is what one guy put up on another uk site  
rock.gif

(quote)
Hi guys im going to do a new workout.. for the next 4 weeks as follows..

front squats 3 x 20-25 reps
shoulder press 3 X 10
pull up 3 X many as poss (or may use pull down machine)
reverse crunches 2 X 20-25
pull-over 3 X 15
crunch 3 X 20-25

i will do this workout 2-3 times a week..

im just wondering if its ok to add a 35 minute run on a treadmill to this workout?

Ive got the workout from mens health, and this is to go for the athletic look for the cardio part it does say 'add cardio to you workout for maximum results' but doe sthat mean after weights.. or shud i do it on a seperate day?
mad.gif

rock.gif

If they meant right after the workout, then maybe that's to sell more protein shakes or something, because the most feasible way in order to be able to work out sifficiently and still be able to do good cardio is for a quick re-feed of liquid food in between. Maybe the Mens Health article even specified a good brand (i.e., their top sponsor).

Regards,
-JV

The thing is, rags like MensHealth say one thing on page 12 then the opposite on page 36. I know they got more than one writer but come on guys, be consistent!

But yeh, there are only so many watches a guy need to buy.

I actually haven't read any muscle mag at all before I got into HST. In fact, the only reasons I was able to read one was they gave it away for free each month at GNC (I used to be a member during two years ago when I was still buying protein powder), like Physical and MH. Some of the stuff there seems reasonable, they tell noobs to take it easy in the gym when they first get there or something like that, and same for those who stopped training for a while, etc. But on the whole, it just seemed too &quot;commercialized&quot; for me - tons of advice there are wrapped with brand-name products that, coincidentally, you can also see in advertisement pages within the mag. Oh, and really bad stuff like building big guns by doing the &quot;perfect curl&quot; or what not, and they display a picture of this titanic dude with huge guns. No wonder you see guys at gyms day in and day out curling over and over again.

<div>
(jvroig @ Jul. 06 2006,16:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I actually haven't read any muscle mag at all before I got into HST.  In fact, the only reasons I was able to read one was they gave it away for free each month at GNC (I used to be a member during two years ago when I was still buying protein powder), like Physical and MH. Some of the stuff there seems reasonable, they tell noobs to take it easy in the gym when they first get there or something like that, and same for those who stopped training for a while, etc. But on the whole, it just seemed too &quot;commercialized&quot; for me - tons of advice there are wrapped with brand-name products that, coincidentally, you can also see in advertisement pages within the mag. Oh, and really bad stuff like building big guns by doing the &quot;perfect curl&quot; or what not, and they display a picture of this titanic dude with huge guns. No wonder you see guys at gyms day in and day out curling over and over again.</div>
Totally. Again, it comes down to wanting the magic bullet. The dont market &quot;hardwork, blood and sweat&quot; but &quot;6 seconds a day for huge biceps&quot;.

People want instant results and these mags fuel the myth that instant results exist.

Every month its &quot;best ever workout&quot;.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Every month its &quot;best ever workout&quot;.</div>
Oh yeah., can't miss that. I often wondered which among all the touted &quot;best ever workouts&quot; is actually THE best in their eyes. Or is it that they also know it's just bull, and the writers are actually thinking &quot;damn, people are such suckers. Next month let's say that doing curls actually also gives you stronger back muscles, and throw in some jargon to make it look legit.&quot;

I don't dislike MH (SA version) that much, but can't disagree with the &quot;best ever workout thing&quot;
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Never payed muvh attention to anything else since I found HST, now that is the magic bullet I was after!
biggrin.gif

Aw C'mon guys, what would we do without the gym squirrels? I remember back when I was a noob and climbing all over the equipment (aka gym squirrel) and wondering how some of these guys got so big when I'd see them lifting weights that I myself was maxing out on...30 lb curls, 150 lb. bench presses and stuff...of course I knew nothing about cycling workouts or eating food for muscle.
  So naturally, after a four year plateau on 3 sets of 8 that fried all my joints lifting only heavy as I could I quit for several years. Ya see, the stuff I took didn't work either...funny thing tho...the wrestler Brian Adams (Wrath) was in our gym and when I asked how he could stay 250 lbs at seven feet height and keep the muscle on he just said, &quot;steak&quot;.  
laugh.gif

I should have listened.

<div>
(jvroig @ Jul. 06 2006,14:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If they meant right after the workout, then maybe that's to sell more protein shakes or something, because the most feasible way in order to be able to work out sifficiently and still be able to do good cardio is for a quick re-feed of liquid food in between. Maybe the Mens Health article even specified a good brand (i.e., their top sponsor).

Regards,
-JV</div>
jv i meant the workout there is no chest or hamstring work its basicly quads,shoulders,back
rock.gif

Oh, sorry, I thought you meant to point out the MH advice to do cardio right after working out or something. I just thought, &quot;Well, that is a valid point, blah blah blah.&quot; They were probably thinking, and rightly, that cardio would help because it adds metabollic work to the muscles (nothing new, we knew all that before, HST guys are smart), except that we want to control muscle catabolism - ergo the solution is to take a re-feed --> and presto, you've got an endorsement to buy a &quot;top of the line&quot; protein shake / powder / whatever supplement.
biggrin.gif

Yep, I totally glossed over the routine. Bad habit of mine. I almost never read any routines posted
laugh.gif
- which is why you'll actually rarely see me replying to &quot;how's my routine&quot; threads, except when the topic steers towards principles or something else other than criticizing the routine.

Ok, now that I looked at the routine. Yep. It doesn't have much (or at all) for the chest. Wow. And I thought everybody always had to have the granddaddy of all exercises (sort of), the ubiquitous bench press. Weird. I can't believe MH would skip the chest. Perhaps the guy who posted simply forgot it?

Hehehe, thanks for pointing it out faz
biggrin.gif
Next time, I'll try harder when it comes to having to read posted routines
laugh.gif

Regards,
-JV

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yep, I totally glossed over the routine.... rarely reply to &quot;how's my routine&quot; threads... </div>
That's because you wouldn't know a good routine if it bit you in the a$$, &quot;batman&quot;.

Nice one Aaron
laugh.gif
that retort of yours is definitely a classic - must have sent &quot;real deal&quot; throwing an &quot;angry small man tantrum&quot;

LMAO
laugh.gif

Pretty good post there...

Makes me feel good about my diet and training. I tried out the Max-Size Calculator for the 1st time in a year. Measurements went up a bit since I went through a growth spurt, and it said my arms could be 18&quot; at a lbm of 243lbs! That is 60 lbs of muscle I have to put on, which will take some time, but it's a hell of a goal to get to.

Back