Good article on shoulders

Ok, simply to avoid any future debates on the subject of copyright, here is the new "official" rule that I feel we should follow from here on out.

"Do not post entire articles from other bodybuilding websites unless you have permission from the author or owner of that website. If there is an article that you would like to discuss, please post a link to the article."

Although some message boards do not allow links pointing off site, I have no problem with it.
thumbs-up.gif

Referring to this article: what would be the best way to approach shoulder imbalance? Taking a full break from training?

I've never neglected any of my body parts. But, i think due to to the fact that my right arm has simply developed differently than my left (much stronger), my whole right side seems to be developing differently. With my right shoulder slightly positioned more forward. It's not that you actually clearly see it, but i notice it when doing exercises. It might as well be due to my right side rotator cuffs being hurt, i'm not quite sure.

PPP

Dear PPP,

Pentose Phosphate Pathway...Purchasing Power Parity...

If there is any pain in either of your shoulders then cease training immediately and seek professional help. See a sports chiropractor. If only certain motions causes you to feel pain then you might have a clue as to what is injured.

Is there pain all the time or part of the time? If so, when?
Is there pain when you lift your arm to the front/side/rear/overhead?
Is there anything that makes the pain worse?
Is there pain or more pain when the region is palpated?
Is there lack of pain/sensation anywhere?
Any visible swelling, bruising, inflammation?
Any tenderness, hardness of the soft-tissue in that region?

If there is imbalance in musculature and strength in the shoulders, it often, can be seen in the person's posture: If anterior deltoids are overpowering the rest, the shoulders as a whole would be rounded forward. This is usually the case with most lifters. Thus, medial and posterior deltoids will usually be the weaker ones and they need special attention via side-lateral raises and lying lateral raises.

Do tell us more as to the intricacies of your shoulder discomfort but do please seek professional help at the soonest convenience.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ May 09 2003,1:44)]Dear PPP,
Pentose Phosphate Pathway...Purchasing Power Parity...
If there is any pain in either of your shoulders then cease training immediately and seek professional help. See a sports chiropractor. If only certain motions causes you to feel pain then you might have a clue as to what is injured.
Is there pain all the time or part of the time? If so, when?
Is there pain when you lift your arm to the front/side/rear/overhead?
Is there anything that makes the pain worse?
Is there pain or more pain when the region is palpated?
Is there lack of pain/sensation anywhere?
Any visible swelling, bruising, inflammation?
Any tenderness, hardness of the soft-tissue in that region?
If there is imbalance in musculature and strength in the shoulders, it often, can be seen in the person's posture: If anterior deltoids are overpowering the rest, the shoulders as a whole would be rounded forward. This is usually the case with most lifters. Thus, medial and posterior deltoids will usually be the weaker ones and they need special attention via side-lateral raises and lying lateral raises.
Do tell us more as to the intricacies of your shoulder discomfort but do please seek professional help at the soonest convenience.
Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)
Hi Dianabol,

Actually my initials stand for Player Pete, since some ladyfriends call me that. I used PP on thinkmuscle, so i added a P on here. ;)

My situation is as follows: first of all, my shoulder is not in any pain whatsoever right now. However, it has slightly hurt on occasions for a short period of time. After i took a 2 week break and started HST the pain disappeared for good.
I spoke of imbalancing because i can clearly feel a difference in the way my shoulders rotate when doing bent over rear delt work (with dumbells).

However, my right shoulder still can feel slightly "used" after training the next day, whereas i don't feel anything in my left. So i'm trying to tackle this before it becomes a problem.

As such i have implemented my dumbell presses and dips only on 3 days (over 2 weeks) and not on the same day. Which seemed a good choice, as it worked out strenght wise very well as well. Also i now use decline bench press instead of regular.

I was thinking about adding L-Flys again. Should i do those 3 days a week, or less? It's funny you recommend laterals, as the article above refers to the exercise as dangerous and i must say it is indeed an exercise which makes my shoulder feel discomfert sometimes.

I can't help but think there's a relation between my right shoulder feeling "used" and the way my shoulders are positioned, since there was no noticable difference a year ago when my shoulder felt fine.

PPP

Back