flat dumbell press

skinnyman

hi i've been having a hard time lifting the dumbells during late 5s.. . i've been getting help from the trainer to help me lift the dumbells up (for some this will be the first rep but for me it's just to get it up) then once it's above me with my arms fully extended, i can go do my reps by myself.

i tried doing without a trainer but i hurt my shoulder (sore right now)

can anyone give me tips on how you guys execute flat dumbell presses?
worship.gif

Shoulder soreness? Hmm, you may be irritating your cuff (which is BAD BAD BAD.) What kind of grip are you using? Parallel is the way to go.

cheers,
Jules

oh bloody hell...thanks vicious! i think i should stick to machines...
blush.gif

type of grip? uhm like the normal way of gripping when doing flat dumbell presses..
blush.gif

When I used to do DB presses, I would grab the weights, then get on the bench second. When working really heavy, it can be impossible to lay down on the bench, then grab the weights and get them up.

There are also some hooks I've seen that you can get for your bench, that will hold the dumbbells above you, eliminating the problem.

Hi mate,

I do dumbell presses with a weight that i can only lift twice - so I'm assuming this is more or the same as the weight you are using when you can't get it up (no pun intended!!)

I lie back with the dumbells on my chest with a parallel grip, get my focus and take a deep breath and then, keeping my forearms at about 90 degrees to my upper arm, move my upper arms out so they're level with my shoulders, which would be the beginning point of that and every rep.

I don't use a parallel grip and have never had any problems but as vicious says, if you're having problems with your cuff then parallel might be better. It might just be the way you're moving the weights out to start with though. I had a mate who just couldn't get the hang of it for some reason but was fine, as you are, when he'd started.

Make sure your the weight is continuously supported in the strongest position, i.e. with your forearm at a 90% angle so the weight is bearing directly downwards and therefore your chest, shoulder and upper arm are taking the strain

or change exercises!

cheers

rob

When I do dumbbell benches, I grab the 'bells and sit on the bench with the weights resting on my thighs. Then I lie down, simultaneously thrusting the weights into the upright position with my thighs. This is also how I get heavy dumbbells into the overhead position for shoulder presses: I "kick" 'em up.

I have also experienced some pain in my left shoulder from heavy dumbbell pressing. It's less of a problem when I press the weights slightly forward on the concentric part of the movement, instead of straight up.

I'm with gripstrength. I tend to push them slightly forward and upward as well, rather than straight up, and that seems to eliminate any problems.

What you need to get is some power hooks. These are hooks that clip onto your DB's and then you can hook them onto a barbell above where you will be doing your bench press. You can load all the weight you can on the DB's and then just hang them from the barbell. You don't even need a spotter. Once you are on the bench just reach up and lift them off the bar and start your reps. When you are done you can either hook them back on the bar above you if you finish extended or just put them on the floor as you would normally. You can check these hooks out at Country Power Hooks on the web. One of the best items I have bought for my home gym. No more injuries and I can load a lot of weight on the DB's.

Good luck.

that's what i do. i sort of "kick em up"
free-weights can cause some reaaal trouble on the joints eh?
crazy.gif
i guess i'd have to transfer to machines instead if the pain continues.

thanks for the tip guys
thumbs-up.gif

appreciate it
worship.gif

last question: do you think flat bench press (barbell) will also cause some pain in the shoulders? i'm going to do a search..

There is no reason to have to "kick" the weights up with the power hooks. That's why I like them so much. I used to always injure my bicep tendon and forearm tendons when trying to "kick" the weights up. Now I can double the weight I use on DB moves and have not had an injury yet. (knock on wood) ;)

ok thanks for the wisdom O n G. i've been doing close grip bench press as well for the triceps. i guess i'll just transfer to dips for triceps and chest.
thumbs-up.gif

Skinny, CGBP's are okay. They don't put the strain on the shoulders that regular flat benches do. The strain gets tranfered to your triceps where it will do some good.

I have to agree with gripstrengths method. Although I too get shoulder problems if going heavy for to long with dumbells. Change and do flat barbell and/or inclines. Inclines take the stress off the shoulders, @ least for me it does. If the sorness persist lessen the weight just a bit and use real strict form and move the weight sloooowly. I personaly like this method when going heavy. Less injuries!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ April 30 2005,11:02)]ok guys. i'm deciding whether i do incline or dips. hmmm.. thanks for the replies
thumbs-up.gif
You should be doing both, not either or, because they hit different muscles. Dips are more for the lower pecs, inclines are more for the upper.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dood @ May 02 2005,6:10)]
wow.gif
2-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ April 30 2005,11
wow.gif
2)]ok guys. i'm deciding whether i do incline or dips. hmmm.. thanks for the replies
thumbs-up.gif
You should be doing both, not either or, because they hit different muscles. Dips are more for the lower pecs, inclines are more for the upper.
Kinda.

Dips will hit both the upper and lower pecs just as hard. Inclines, on the other hand, will hit the lower pecs to a lesser degree.

If you want full chest growth, stick with dips, flat bench (or dumbbells), flat flys. Dips preferably over bench.

If you want to increase upper chest growth to proportion your chest, stick with the incline variants. You can still do flat movements, but if you want your upper chest to grow more than your lower chest you're going to have to up the strain on the upper chest. More volume, more weights (negatives, clusters), and specializing tactics (loaded stretches, pulses) are the call of the day!
thumbs-up.gif

Hmmm .... specializing tactics ... i like that!

I've been playing combat games too often.
tounge.gif

funny post lance
laugh.gif

i gotta research on that loaded stretches hmm
i just found out that my shoulders are too weak to go heavy on the chest :confused:

i think i'll go with the dips.
thanks guys
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lance @ May 02 2005,9:43)]Dips will hit both the upper and lower pecs just as hard.
Hmm, seems counterintuitive that the upper pecs would be as involved in dips as the lower. It certainly doesn't feel that way.
Do you have any links that back up your point, some EMG results or something?

Back