Fitness magazines

HstRiggins

Just a rant....

My wife got me a few subsriptions a few months ago for some magazines. One for Planet Muscle and one for Muscle and Fitness. Who are these magazines aimed at? Everyone in there is in incredible condition. More than half of the magazine is ads. The workout routines are contradictions. One issue says that there's been a study done in UCONN that says isolation workouts are much better then compounds. Next issue sites examples of studies that compounds are better then isos.

Planet muscle has more spelling mistakes and grammer errors then any piece of written material i've ever seen. I'm by no means and english expert (in fact it's my 3rd language), but it's so bad that it's tough to read. This magazine must be put together in the basement of some 5 year old.

I wish i could cancel those subscriptions.

<div>
(HstRiggins @ May 31 2008,2:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Who are these magazines aimed at?</div>
people who waste money on supps

<div>
(fearfactory @ May 31 2008,4:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">people who waste money on supps</div>
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I work in a military post office overseas, and the people who subscribe to the muscle mags are also constantly receiving boxes of supplements. A few of them are pretty muscular guys, but many others don't look like they've sever een the inside of a weight room.

<div>
(HstRiggins @ May 31 2008,2:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Who are these magazines aimed at?</div>
As mentioned they are aimed directly at supplement customers.
Here is a breakdown on the different magazines from the AST site:
Here is a list of the magazines and their underlying supplement companies.

MuscleMag International and Oxygen-
This is the worst example of self promoting I have ever seen. MuscleMag is controlled by MuscleTech. Anytime you see an article in MuscleMag about a supplement it is a MuscleTech product. How people can buy into this magazine and its monthly editorial content directed solely at selling MuscleTech supplements is beyond me. It's so obvious you would actually have to be brain dead not to realize it.
Don't be fooled in the slightest by what looks like articles in this magazine. They are not articles at all. They are &quot;advertorials&quot;. They are strictly ads written to look like articles in order to give them an appearance of legitimacy.
Oxygen is the female oriented counterpart. Same thing just aimed at women.

IronMan Magazine-
Ironman was the last magazine to fall. And fall hard it did. Now each month that Ironman comes out you get a monthly thrashing of MuscleLink ads disguised as articles. Ironman runs a very close second to MuscleMag in their deceptive promotional practices. Any Ironman article about nutrition or supplementation is nothing more than and ad designed to induce you to buy their products.

Muscular Development-
Muscular Development is Twinlab's mouthpiece. This magazine is not near as bad as Ironman and MuscleMag, but nevertheless, the nutrition articles are in there to help sell TwinLab supplements. It's also used extensively to bash other products that TwinLab does not sell. Like Androstenedione.

Muscle &amp; Fitness and Flex-
Both Muscle &amp; Fitness and Flex magazines are owed by Joe Weider and thus are selling vehicles for Weider supplements, Metaform, MuscleTribe, and numerous other companies owned by Weider.
Actually the Weider magazines don't fall into the same category as MuscleMag and Ironman. Other than plastering photos of Weider products in all the articles, they do not take as blatant an approach as the others. Still you must read the articles with a jaundiced eye.

Muscle Media-
This is the magazine that started the new generation of &quot;advertorial&quot; supplement promoting. Their first supplement was Met-Rx. Muscle Media promoted Met-Rx through articles in issue after issue. It was that promotion that made Met-Rx such a popular product.
After a fall out with the owner of Met-Rx, contracts were not renewed. Along came EAS. Muscle Media then became a promotional vehicle for EAS which it remains today.
Its promotional approach has toned down considerably in last couple of years, but is still the primary promotional tool for EAS supplements.

My neighbor gets FLEX delivered to his mailbox. He must be too stupid to realize that aspiring to FLEX muscle standards requires steroids, because he looks like he doesn't even workout!
rock.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jun. 03 2008,9:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My neighbor gets FLEX delivered to his mailbox.  He must be too stupid to realize that aspiring to FLEX muscle standards requires steroids, because he looks like he doesn't even workout!
rock.gif
</div>
Sadly, that's how I feel when I see a Flex mag.
sad.gif

yeah i used to buy Muscle and Fitness, there ARE quite a few ads in there, it's basically a catalogue, except more of a TV shopping variety (they try to persuade you why you should buy it). I did enjoy reading them however (not so much for the &quot;advice&quot;, but just reading about training, and for motivation and so on)

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 06 2008,10:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Need anything else? Save your money.</div>
For plates, not supps.

The only value any of those magazines has for me is the swimsuit issues. And even some of those women probably don't work out that much, except for walking to the plastic surgeon.

Back