Fast Twitch Fibers

Catalonia

Ok, I just signed up for this forum, and haven't even started doing the exercises... I've always intuitively taken a week off after a couple months of training, and just started lifting heavy weights (as opposed to lighter and more reps)

But my question is this. I had read a bit about power versus strength, and that there are certain exercises you can do to enhance, or even grow fast twitch fiber muscles. But these things really only work if you have the strength to hand over to the power. So I have incresed my vert by maybe 1 or 2 inches (just started lifting legs 2 weeks ago) by doing machine squats, leg press, et al.

Really, what I want to know, is if HST says anything about making it so I can get an edge on the volleyball or basketball court.

Thanks in advance
-C

at this stage, getting stronger will be the best bet. YOu can train for increased speed etc (rate of force developmetn) but getting stronger will cause the best overall advantage.

You want more explosive power. To recruit your fast twitch muscle fibres all you have to do is move a big weight as fast as you can. There has been some research that suggests you can increase your proportion of fast twitch muscle fibres in your legs by doing a programme of heavy weights then gradually tapering the workload into a rest peroid. You'll have to google it. As for general jumping, do HST, eat clean food and few enough calories (the two usually go together) to increase your power to weight ratio. Perform full range squats with an explosive concentric portion. Of course, the best training is to frequently (every 2 days) peform one or two sets of explosive jumps in exactly the same manner as you would perform them in your sport. Make sure you recover enough that you really are jumping as high as you can every time.

I have asked this comment before,

but what do people think before replying to a two year old thread? especially one that the OP hasnt came back and commented on?

good question,

I never looked to see how old it was, guess I'll check next time before dispensing my 'wisdom'.

Back