"Explosive" Pushups?

Mindwraith

Push-up Your Explosive Strength!
Techniques for breaking through strength
plateaus in the bench press
by Chad Waterbury

Push up your explosive strength

[edit]I didnt think reprinting a 'copywrited' article in its entirety here was too good, so I just edited it down to a link.
Aaron.

That is an interesting article. In short, yes, they are for real. Speed training, or dynamic effort training, is an important part of some powerlifting programs, such as WSB. I think the best way of explaining this is through an analogy I read in a WSB article.

Take 3 objects: a ping-pong ball, a baseball, and a heavy rock (>50 lbs). Then throw all of these objects. Which object can you exert the most force on? Remember, F=m*a. And the answer is the baseball. The ping-pong ball is too light, while the rock is too heavy. But with the baseball, you can exert the most force.

I would guess that the explanation as for how this applies to strength training is that the faster you can accelarate a given mass, the more force you can exert. And the more force you can exert, the more weight you can lift. This is just my guess, but I do know that it is important for strength training. I know Aaron_F does explosive push-ups as part of his training, so they must be good.

My only concern would be that push-ups are too light. WSB recommends doing speed bench with 50% of your max. I worry that explosive push-ups are like the ping-pong ball in the analogy. Chad Waterbury makes an interesting argument in their favor when he talks about how when doing dynamic bench presses, the lifter has to slow down the weight at the top or he will destroy his joints.

The 1 minute rest period is also found in WSB. Dave Tate says that it is crucial that rest lasts for 1 minute, no more and no less.

To wrap it all up, I would say that explosive push-ups are definitely good, but speed bench might be better.

Just another form of plyometrics :)

I did some today infact. THere are a number of things you can do for hte upperbody speed training, including

Speed bench (adding chains/bands circumvents the deacceleration that happens at hte top of the lift)

Ballistic benching - variety of weights light to heavy - releasing hte bar at teh top does the same for the deacceleration

A variety of upperbody plyo moves are interesting. I have done bench drops (upper body equiv of depth jumps) and a couple of others too. hard on the joints.

I have a list of other things on my other computer.

This brings up the point, is there value to negatives in powerlifting? certainly they do a whole lot for HST, but most strength programs value speed most. Are they good to fit in now and then, or do they have very little value whatsoever?

There is some advantages to negatives, but the major point is saftey, ease of use and carry over to the actual concentric portion.

You guys remember doing those "clap" pushups? You know- push up and clap at the top, then catch yourself before you do a face plant. Try some of these without the clapping for a change. It's like combining the explosive pushup- push up as high and fast as you can, and bench drops- you'll be coming down from about 6 inches, so it's a decent amount of force, and it's harder to overdo it like you can on a regular bench drop. I do these with my feet elevated about 6 or 8 inches. It improved my bench by about 20 lbs. almost overnight just because I had so much power off the chest. Give it a try, it's kind of fun to see how high you can "jump" too. :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Steel @ Mar. 01 2004,11:24)]It improved my bench by about 20 lbs. almost overnight just because I had so much power off the chest. Give it a try, it's kind of fun to see how high you can "jump" too. :)
I thought that was your grip. So your bench is up 40lbs?

:)

I actually was adding a clap at the top lol, doubt that does anything other than prove that I'm explosive enough to get one in there.

As for your feet being elevated 6 to 8 inches, what does that mean? I can't picture that.

I haven't tried them yet, but I've heard that bench throws (done on a smith, of course) are great for this purpose.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mindwraith @ Mar. 09 2004,8:11)]I actually was adding a clap at the top lol, doubt that does anything other than prove that I'm explosive enough to get one in there.
As for your feet being elevated 6 to 8 inches, what does that mean? I can't picture that.
I think he means, elevated as in he puts them on something, like a stack of books or whatever.

Picture this: a wooden box the size of a case of beer

Put your feet on the box, so it elevates them, while in the normal "push up" position. This will put more "gravity" on your chest/back so it makes the push up harder.

Back