Desperate to fill out/bulk

A

andysutils

Im desperate to fill out, dont care how hard i have to work at it

Im trying to find a weight training program of some kind but i dont understand any of the terms as ive never really lifted before but have all the equipment to do so and i need a good diet also. Heres why im so desperate

weight 56 pounds
height 6ft exactly

basically, i look like a broomstick

I mostly want to concentrate on my arms and chest.

Hope you can help me out.

First of all, I hope you mean 156 instead of 56... otherwise.. wow I think you'd be dead.
Read the FAQ, it helped me A LOT when i first started, and I shouldn't sound like an expert because it still helps me. And for your first workout you can even just take it right from the FAQ. Finding your RMs is easy, on monday find a weight where doing 15 reps of that weight takes you as close to failure as possible (but dont go to failure) for all your exercises. Do the same wednesday for 10 reps, and the same friday for 5 reps. Take a week or so off and start your workouts. The calculator on the homepage is the best.. just plug in your RMs and how much you want to increase each time (usually 5-20 pounds) and it will calculate what weight you use for every workout. Since its your first time doing HST estimate your RMs conservatively. Anyone else can chime in because I'm sure i missed something :)
Good luck,
Keith

[b said:
Quote[/b] (thedrivethruguy @ Feb. 03 2004,4:28)]First of all, I hope you mean 156 instead of 56... otherwise.. wow I think you'd be dead.
Read the FAQ, it helped me A LOT when i first started, and I shouldn't sound like an expert because it still helps me. And for your first workout you can even just take it right from the FAQ. Finding your RMs is easy, on monday find a weight where doing 15 reps of that weight takes you as close to failure as possible (but dont go to failure) for all your exercises. Do the same wednesday for 10 reps, and the same friday for 5 reps. Take a week or so off and start your workouts. The calculator on the homepage is the best.. just plug in your RMs and how much you want to increase each time (usually 5-20 pounds) and it will calculate what weight you use for every workout. Since its your first time doing HST estimate your RMs conservatively. Anyone else can chime in because I'm sure i missed something :)
Good luck,
Keith
Sorry. Think i got it wrong, i weight between 8.5-9 stone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andysutils @ Feb. 03 2004,12:48)]Im desperate to fill out, dont care how hard i have to work at it Im trying to find a weight training program of some kind but i dont understand any of the terms as ive never really lifted before but have all the equipment to do so

Hi Andy and welcome !

Here's a good place to start ExRx Exercise & Muscle Directory

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and i need a good diet also.

Here Eating for size start eating

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I mostly want to concentrate on my arms and chest. Hope you can help me out.

Please don't forget your legs Squat

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeh @ Feb. 05 2004,6:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (andysutils @ Feb. 03 2004,12:48)]Im desperate to fill out, dont care how hard i have to work at it Im trying to find a weight training program of some kind but i dont understand any of the terms as ive never really lifted before but have all the equipment to do so
Hi Andy and welcome !
Here's a good place to start ExRx Exercise & Muscle Directory
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and i need a good diet also.
Here Eating for size start eating
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I mostly want to concentrate on my arms and chest. Hope you can help me out.
Please don't forget your legs Squat
BIG Thanks Bro.

I'll add that diet will probably be the key for you. And you're going to read a lot of information on how you should be eating chicken breasts and oatmeal. Don't listen. A guy like you will never get enough calories eating 'healthy'. Focus on calories dense foods and concentrate on keeping protein high. If you get too full and still haven't reached your calorie goal, a good way to get past this is to start drinking your calories.
Good luck and stay focused. Consistancy will be the key to progress.

At 14 pounds per stone, you weigh in at about 126 pounds. I sympathize completely. At 17, I was almost 6' 2" at 135 pounds.

I'll wager that any muscle you do add will be readily visible.

Read the resources available and ask questions. Folks around here are very helpful and incredibly knowledgeable. And most importantly, as KingProtein said, stick with it. Little by little you will see results.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KingProtein @ Feb. 06 2004,10:05)]I'll add that diet will probably be the key for you. And you're going to read a lot of information on how you should be eating chicken breasts and oatmeal. Don't listen. A guy like you will never get enough calories eating 'healthy'. Focus on calories dense foods and concentrate on keeping protein high. If you get too full and still haven't reached your calorie goal, a good way to get past this is to start drinking your calories.
Good luck and stay focused. Consistancy will be the key to progress.
Thx man. Which will be the easiest for me to gain though, musacle or fat. Even gaining fat would be a bonus.

I ordered something called supergainer which contains 1500 calories per serving, would this help in any way, would it be even if i doubled the dose of it.?:confused:

I also need understanding of a lot of the terms used. such as.

5x5?
Reps
rm's

Not sure on the supergainer, but I think the general opinion around here is that they arent quality, lots of sugar and stuff in them, but I'm not sure. That would work however if you are going to drink your calories.
Reps are repetitions, ie one complete movement of the exercise. For example 1 rep of bench press would be from the top position, down, then back up to the top.
5x5 is 5 reps per set, with 5 sets if i'm not mistaken
RM's are your rep maxes, i think i already explained this to you in an earlier post. good luck
Keith

on a side note, I'm happy to report this is my 100th post, cool now i'm only 1,500 or so posts behind Bryan, Blade, Aaron, and the like. Hey I'll catch up in no time... :confused: haha right

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andysutils @ Feb. 07 2004,8:20)]Thx man. Which will be the easiest for me to gain though, musacle or fat. Even gaining fat would be a bonus.
I ordered something called supergainer which contains 1500 calories per serving, would this help in any way, would it be even if i doubled the dose of it.?:confused:
When bulking up you're likely to gain both muscle and fat. To emphasize muscle gain you'll need to be able to give your body enough fuel for it to grow, but not so many extra calories that it doesn't know what to do with. If I were you I'd shoot for 2500-3000 calories per day. This will make sure you're growing to start with. After a few weeks, if you think you're putting on too much fat as well, cut down a couple hundred calories per day. The supergainer will definitely help, but I can't see you needing any more than 1/2 - 1 serving per day at the most. (unless your appetite is unusually small)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KingProtein @ Feb. 07 2004,3:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (andysutils @ Feb. 07 2004,8:20)]Thx man. Which will be the easiest for me to gain though, musacle or fat. Even gaining fat would be a bonus.
When bulking up you're likely to gain both muscle and fat. To emphasize muscle gain you'll need to be able to give your body enough fuel for it to grow, but not so many extra calories that it doesn't know what to do with. If I were you I'd shoot for 2500-3000 calories per day. This will make sure you're growing to start with. After a few weeks, if you think you're putting on too much fat as well, cut down a couple hundred calories per day. The supergainer will definitely help, but I can't see you needing any more than 1/2 - 1 serving per day at the most. (unless your appetite is unusually small)
Thanks guys, I do have a fast metabolism which I think has been my biggest battle, will I still be able to achive my goal with this problem???.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thanks guys, I do have a fast metabolism which I think has been my biggest battle, will I still be able to achive my goal with this problem???.

Yes, you will be able to reach your goal. Worst case scenario is that you might have to eat an awfull lot to gain. Luckily this will get easier over time, I think it just takes the stomach awhile to get adjusted to a higher intake of food.

All good information here, good job all. Remember that a lot of people have been there, too. My wife weighed 80 pounds at 5'6" when we met, and she was 20 years old. I like small women, but that's a stretch. Luckily, I liked her personality as well. With a little work and some food, she got to 120 pounds in about 2 months. You can do the same, just stick with it and you'll probably grow like a weed. And leg work is a must, no one likes it, it hurts, but we all do it. Working your legs will stimulate the greatest release of growth-inducing chemicals, hormones, etc. One study had people doing nothing but high repetition squats and drinking a lot of milk, and everyone in the study gained weight, and fast. Something for hard gainers to know. Do read everything here you can, it's a great site- and I've been studying the subject for ewww, 20 years. Good luck! :)

My greatest concern is that some people can never grow or put on weight no matter what they try, likely im one of those.
But I quit smoking 2 months ago now. How big of an impact will this have.?? Ive got somethin even worse than that aswell. Im 24 years old.

Smoking KILLS muscle growth and your appetite, so it'll make a big difference that you've quit. And LOL at 24. I'm 35 and still growing! ;) A lot of folks don't even get growing until around your age, after they stop shooting up, they can spread out. That's why most just get fat after their mid-twenties. And everyone can grow, some of it's genetic, but anyone who lifts right and eats right can get bigger. The more you learn about lifting and nutrition, the better off you'll be. It's all about manipulating what each person has to start with. Stay positive and stick with it, even if it's slow, it'll come eventually. :)

Back