Constructing Your HST Schedule

EctoSquat

Many people are posting up asking if their HST layout is OK. Hopefully this will help you in constructing your Hypertrophy-Specific training cycle.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Going Into Detail</span></span>

Too many people are worried that if they don't include &quot;this&quot; exercise, HST will fail for them. People seem to worry too much on what exercises they select, when really <span style='color:red'>it's not that big of a deal</span>. As long as you're hitting all of the major muscle groups, you're fine. No need to post up what you've already seen a million times.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Exercise Selection</span></span>

When choosing what exercises to pick, just make sure that you're hitting every major muscle group (focusing in on compound movements), along with minor ones, although that isn't totally necessary. Below is an <span style='color:blue'>example</span> list of exercises to choose from :

Quads

Squat
Leg Press
Front Squat
Lunges

Hamstrings

Stiff Legged Deadlift
Leg Curl
GHR

Chest

Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Dips

Shoulders

Military Press
Lateral Raises

Lats

Bent Rows
Pulldowns
Rear Lat Machine

Arms

Curls
Preacher Curls
Tricep Extensions
Kickbacks

Calves

Calf Press
Calf Raise

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Workout Frequency</span></span>

Another concern is how much you're working out. The general &quot;trend&quot; with HST is a full body workout performed 3 times a week. You can either alternate exercises, or just do the same workout every week. Below are ways to mix up the frequency/exercise selection of HST :

Frequency 1 - Full body workout, performed M/W/F

Frequency 2 - Use an upper body workout, and a lower body workout, alternate workouts performing each workout twice (so you will be working out 6 times in 1 week, but only training the whole body 3 times)

Frequency 3 - Full body workouts, performed in a 3 on, 1 off day fashion

Frequency 4 - If you think you're up for it, you can workout 4-6 times a week, using the same workout

How to alternate exercises

We'll use legs for an example. Just pick two exercises (we'll say squat and leg press), and just perform each exercise every other workout. For the example, squats will be A, and leg press will be B.

Week 1 : Monday - A, Wednesday - B, Friday - A
Week 2 : Monday - B, Wednesday - A, Friday - B

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Sets</span></span>

You can either keep a fixed set range, or progressively load the amount of sets. For example you can (well use 15-10-5 for reps) :

1) Keep sets constant. All major muscle groups can be trained with 2 sets, and minors can be trained with 1 set.

2) Load sets. For example, you could do 1 x 15, 2 x 10, and 3 x 5.

For loading sets, you don't have to go 1, 2, 3. If you can handle more, do 2, 3, 4...or 3, 4, 5. It's all up to knowing your body, and what you can handle.

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Reps</span></span>

The number of reps your perform each set may also be changed. The &quot;trend&quot; with HST, is <span style='color:blue'>15-10-5</span>. I like this way the best, but you may not, therefore I can't and won't tell you to do 15-10-5. Some people respond better to lower reps, and 12-8-4, or 10-6-3 would be better for them. If there's one thing I cannot stress enough, it is DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE 15s.

Above is just one way to use reps, here's a couple other ways -

1) Change the rep range every week (ex 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4)

2) Change the reps every workout (15, 14, 13, 12, etc)

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Number of Exercises</span></span>

One of the biggest things people are concerned with is how many exercises you should perform. I would say the average is about 8 exercises, but this changes depending on the person. If you have average recovery, about 8 exercises will do. If you have great recovery, feel free to use 12, just make sure that you can handle it. If you have below average recovery, a compounds only workout with 5 exercises will also be just fine. It's all about knowing your body, I can't know it for you.

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Conclusion</span></span>

Take what is above, and use it! What I gave should be enough to set up your <span style='color:green'>HST</span> cycle. Follow the principles above, and you shouldn't have to start your own thread about what exercises you chose and how many. Know your body, and you will know what to choose. Have fun with HST, and good luck.

Good work Ecto
worship.gif

And man you are almost as colorful as Jeff ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Nov. 03 2004,4:16)]Good work Ecto
worship.gif

And man you are almost as colorful as Jeff ;)
lol Thanks.

I try, but Jeff is the one who is known for making the fashion of color in posts, I just endorse it :). I personally think it makes posts look sooo much better and easier to read.

I'd just like to note that kickbacks really shouldn't be used. I'd go with close-grip bench instead.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Nov. 05 2004,12:23)]I'd just like to note that kickbacks really shouldn't be used. I'd go with close-grip bench instead.
True.

I posted tri exercise in a different thread somewhere that same night, and for some reason my mind blanked out and I forgot about CGBP and pushdowns.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One of the biggest things people are concerned with is how many exercises you should perform. I would say the average is about 8 exercises, but this changes depending on the person. If you have average recovery, about 8 exercises will do. If you have great recovery, feel free to use 12, just make sure that you can handle it. If you have below average recovery, a compounds only workout with 5 exercises will also be just fine. It's all about knowing your body, I can't know it for you.
How many exercises for minor muscle groups? - in a single upper body session for example

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1) Keep sets constant. All major muscle groups can be trained with 2 sets, and minors can be trained with 1 set.
Is there any benefit or detriment to performing 2 sets for minor groups?

Let me also boost your ego! Great post
thumbs-up.gif
:D

Now i know where to link, when people want a quick thorough view of HST.

Back