Can Power lifts be used in HST?

GqArtguy

Hi, I am in the process of writing an HST routine but I was wondering if powerlifts (i.e. snatches, cleans, etc.) can be used as the primary lifts and then follwed by hitting other body parts with the recommended lifts such as dips, bench press, etc?

Hi, guy!

Actually powerlifts are deadlifts, squats and bench presses. My shoulders don't do well with flat benches, but deads and squats are the core of my HST as they are for many others.

Snatches and cleans are olympic-type lifts. Because of the momentum involved in these lifts, it becomes much more complicated to use these ala HST.

Some of our members use OL stuff for warms ups and cardiovascular benefits... Steve McDermott does for one.

It isn't impossible to use them as part of a program. CoolColJ had some success with it. You might want to do a search under his member name to see what you can dig up.

Happy hypertrophy!
Kate

In terms of the olympic style lifts for muscle size, while they can increase muscle size (particularly back and trap size) they are not hte best, primarily due to reduced time under tension.
Also when first learning them, the absolute load is light, due rather to technical limitations rather than strength limitations, so they are not the best in that line. A true squat snatch/clean takes heaps of practice before strength starts to limit the weight ratehr than technique

Back