Can I do light cardio during first SD phase?

• Thread starter imported_gtimmons
  • Start date
I

imported_gtimmons

Hello all,
I've been lifting weights for 8 years and regularly for the past 5 months on a standard split program. I'm just starting HST. I'm in the process this week of determining my 15, 10, and 5 max weights. Then, next week I will take a 9-12 days off for SD before I begin the program.
My question is, can I do some light cardio, maybe treadmill for 30 min. at a time during this first SD phase? I want to work on getting my body fat % down, but I don't know if it'll be detrimental to my progress. Please advise.

Yes, you can do the light cardio. Total rest would make for a better SD, but light cardio is acceptable. It will be detrimental, but not ver much so.

Consider using brisk walking while running errands instead of jogging on a treadmill; anything that brings the intensity level down is good.

If one of your goals is to increase calf size, then go for a real decon without the treadmill. Calves are hard to decon because we keep lifting our whole bodyweight with each calf over and over.

Doing light cardio duirng SD has been shown to cause premature death in weight trainers... not really, but feeling light-hearted today. :)

Back