calculating weights

obus75

I have ,what I think is a reasonable workout plan except that I am struggling with the weights to and how to change them. I notice a calculator on the web site but seem to have missed how to use it--help!

Under the column that says "Exercises," you want to put in the exercises you will be using. You probably want to enter them in the order that you plan to perform them during your cycle, just for the sake of simplicity. Next, enter in your 15 RM (Rep Max), 10 RM, 5 RM, and 2 RM. You did find them, right? In HST, we never do sets of 2 reps, but we use our 2 RM (or something close to it) for negatives in which we do 2 full reps, then a spotter helps us to do 3 more reps. The spotter assists in the concentric part of the lift, and we perform the eccentric portion of the lift on our own. If you wanna know more about negatives, check in the FAQ, it's got tons of good info about EVERYTHING.

Now for increments. This may be the trickiest part. Your increment (Inc on the calculator) should be approximately 5% of your 5 RM, rounded to the nearest possible increment.

Some examples:
5 RM = 50 lbs., Inc = 2.5 lbs. (if possible) or 5 lbs. (If you use a 5 lb. increment, you may need to increment every other workout, like this: 40-40-45-45-50-50. The calculator cannot repeat weights, though. Also, I don't think the calculator can handle decimals.)

5 RM = 75 lbs., Inc = 5 lbs.

5 RM = 300 lbs., Inc = 15 lbs.

Hopefully you get the picture.

I would use the same increment for the 15s, 10s, and 5s.

Personally, I prefer to use an Excel Spreadsheet so that I can plan my weights exactly how I want to, repeating weights if I want to. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Oh yeah, and remember to hit "Calculate" once you've put in your Exercises, RMs, and Increments.

Thanks, That was a very clear and useful post. I found the Faq as well so have been browsing for hours!! It is amazing that I never came accorss HST before :D

Back