Any HST routine for an athlete?

Fun_Aka

Hi everyone! i'm planning to start the HST program but i read that it is not recommended for athletes.. is there a HST routine(tweak/modified) you could recommend for me as a basketball player who is an absolute beginner in bodybuilding? what exercises to avoid and etc?
i only want to develop my muscles. ;)
thanks

I remember that T-Mag had some articles/discussion on increasing one's verticle jump.

Where did you hear the HST is not good for athletes?

"I have now used these principles myself, and have used them successfully to train competitive bodybuilders for some time. It is not "specifically" designed for competitive track athletes, Powerlifters or Olympic lifters" quote from the HST article.
oh well.. i'll just follow the HST program :) i'm really excited but i haven't yet read a post where a newbie like me gained muscle after 2 cycles of HST. I would like to here someone. ;)

HST would be fine for an athlete. I realize one of the reasons it may not be "specifically" designed for powerlifters, etc would be because they want to take advantage of strength gains, or speed over size. They might train a certain way to cater to their goals as an athlete. HST is pretty versatile, and if you would like to gain some muscle it's a good way to do it regarless of what sport you play. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

thanks for the reply guys! ;) you helped me alot.. i'll start to mesure my RMs next week then SD. :) I'm really excited!
btw, i only have a bench, barbell and dumbbells.. so i can't do dips and pullups since i dont go to the gym. i'll workout here at home ... would this be a good routine?
Legs : Squat and Leg Curls
Chest : Incline barbell press and DB flyes
Shoulders : DB Military Press and Lateral Raise
Back : Deadlift and Bent over row
Biceps : Barbell curl
Triceps : DB skullcrushers
Abs : just crunches(twice a week)
so what do you guys think?
blush.gif

What Bryan was talking about was "Specificity" if you want to improve your powerlifting you have to train like a powerlifter would, if you want to improve as a basketball player, you have train like one.

If you want to be a bodybuilder you have to train with HST opps, I mean like a bodybuilder. :D

and drink HSN, oops again, I mean protein drinks :D :D

and wear this really nifty black T-shirt with this Yellow, White and Black emblem in the center that resembles the letters HST, oops again, I mean clothes
thumbs-up.gif

I don't know what made me think of this, maybe the DKM explaining the shirt, but Bryan are you going to have a HST booth at the Mr. Olympia this year? I may try to make it this year which would be the first, and I may even wear a HST shirt to give everyone a little nudge nudge to try it ;).

Throw in calves as well.

Also, I would think that whilst HST is not "specifically" designed for athletes, because it doesn't train to 1-3 rep range you aren't likely to suffer from joint soreness - something bball players have to avoid.

I'm a high school basketball player myself. There really isn't one specific movement you need to use, so I think HST, which develops overall size and strength is a good way to go. The only change you might consider making is perhaps training legs differently. Leg strength in basketball is huge, especially if you are a big forward or a center. That's why I trained HST for upper body muscles and just did power/strength training, along with some plyometrics, for legs.

So, really build up lower body strength and make sure you emphasize shoulders. Strong shoulders will help out in everything you do.

glad to hear that from a bball player! :) i'm a guard.. what's your routine like for your upper body and for the leg strength/power? thanks!
thumbs-up.gif
worship.gif

As I used to play bball I'm curious... BoSox, what's your training routine for legs? Exercises reps etc....I did a lot of plyometrics and made some great vertical leap gains, but the weight training for just 'standard' 2-3 times a week.

One thing to consider when doing strength training for athletes is what role the athlete plays in the game. As a guard, you need to remain quick, agile, and explosive when you cut to the basket. You also better have an explosive vertical leap (doesn't necessarily have to be high if you can get off the ground quicker than a guy who is taller than you, you have a good chance of beating him). That being said, you can train for hypertrophy as long as you can maintain your speed, agility, and leaping ability. That is where "specificity of training" comes in to play considering HST is not designed (in it's most basic form) to improve speed, agility, and explosiveness. That doesn't mean you cannot do it, it just means those areas you will have to train for in a different manner such as doing some plyometrics, explosive lifts, suicides, etc... Also, your nutrient intake will have to increase somewhat if you are going to be playing basketball, lifting weights, and doing all the drills we grew to love in practice. Otherwise, a few things will happen: you'll gain strength, but no size (okay, we can deal with that), or you'll burn out and either your basketball game or your weight training will suffer (or both).

I'll give you a few tips to help you out:
Do your upper body in basic HST fashion.
Lower body, as has been alluded to, should be done a bit different. You can still do squats and/or deadlifts, but you gotta throw in some exercise that will work on explosiveness. For instance, a football player here at the University could safe squat 1205 pounds (ALOT!!!), but he kept getting blown off the line and could never get those strong legs to work for him. Why? He had great absolute strength, but his ability to generate force in a short period of time sucked. This , in my opinion could have been fixed had the problem been addressed much sooner. Look into doing explosive lifts and plyometrics for the lower body in conjunction with your squats and/or deads and you should have all your bases covered. Look here for some animations and ideas for plyos and power exercises. Power Exercises

wow! that's alot(1205
crazy.gif
)
tounge.gif
well thanks alot, you helped me alot
thumbs-up.gif
worship.gif

gonna start HST as soon as possible :)

btw is it possible to do the usual HST upper body workout and Air Alert 3 ? will this have any bad/good effects?

here is my plan:
monday - HST, AA
tuesday - practice basketball
wednesday-HST, AA
thursday - off
friday- HST , AA
Saturday or Sunday-BBall Game and 1 day off

will this be overtraining? or should i wait till the end of the season? i think i'll wait for it.

I doubt you'll overtrain. Just don't push yourself too hard. I'm currently in bball season and we practice every day unless we have a game and I still lift at least 3 times a week. Just eat more, which is also good. It makes it really hard to get fat :D

thanks man! you guys helped me alot ;)
see you soon.. my bench will arrive tomorrow, i'll start as soon as possible! :D
goodluck to your team ;)

Back