2009 ACSM Position Stand

dkm1987

ACSM Position Stand
Progression Models in Resistance Training for Healthy Adults

SUMMARY
In order to stimulate further adaptation toward specific training goals, progressive resistance training (RT) protocols are necessary. The optimal characteristics of strength-specific programs include the use of concentric
(CON), eccentric (ECC), and isometric muscle actions and the performance of bilateral and unilateral single- and multiple-joint exercises. In addition, it is recommended that strength programs sequence exercises to optimize the preservation of exercise intensity (large before small muscle group exercises, multiple-joint exercises before single-joint exercises, and higher-intensity before lower-intensity exercises).

For novice (untrained individuals with no RT experience or who have not trained for several years) training, it is recommended that loads correspond to a repetition range of an 8–12 repetition maximum (RM). For intermediate (individuals with approximately 6 months of consistent RT experience) to advanced (individuals with years of RT experience) training, it is recommended that individuals use a wider loading range from 1 to 12 RM in a periodized fashion with eventual emphasis on heavy loading (1–6 RM) using 3- to 5-min rest periods between sets performed at a moderate contraction velocity (1–2 s CON; 1–2 s ECC). When training at a specific RM load, it is recommended that 2–10% increase in load be applied when the individual can perform the current workload for one to two repetitions
over the desired number. The recommendation for training frequency is 2–3 dIwkj1 for novice training, 3–4 dIwkj1 for intermediate training, and 4–5 dIwkj1 for advanced training. Similar program designs are recommended for hypertrophy training with respect to exercise selection and frequency. For loading, it is recommended that loads corresponding to 1–12 RM be used in periodized fashion with emphasis on the 6–12 RM zone using 1- to 2-min rest periods between sets at a moderate velocity.

Higher volume, multiple-set programs are recommended for maximizing hypertrophy. Progression in power training entails two general loading strategies: 1) strength training and 2) use of light loads (0–60% of 1 RM for lower body exercises; 30–60% of 1 RM for upper body exercises) performed at a fast contraction velocity with 3–5 min of rest between sets for multiple sets per exercise (three to five sets). It is also recommended that emphasis be placed on multiple-joint exercises specially those involving the total body. For local muscular endurance training, it is recommended that light to moderate loads (40–60% of 1 RM) be performed for high repetitions (915) using short rest periods (G90 s). In the interpretation of this position stand as with prior ones, recommendations should be applied in context and should be contingent upon an individual’s target goals, physical capacity, and training status. Key Words: strength, power, local muscular endurance, fitness, functional abilities, hypertrophy, health, performance

Dan i cant find this article anywhere have you got a link or tell where i can find it like what journal its in, i would like to read the whole article..

sorry i didnt look hard enough, ive found it in pubmed!

Dan

Correct me if im wrong, (i havent got acces to the whole article) but the summary is almost identical to ACSM position stand 2002..7 years on and they havent changed anything much!

They now recommend isometric and bi and unilateral exercises for strength..no real changes for hypertrophy..

If you have got time can you briefly explain the mechanisms for bi or unilateral exercises in increasing strength, thanks.

Back