Exogenous hormones and bone growth

Calkid

So I ran across some information that scared me a tad. I'm almost 21 and considering a couple mild prohormone cycles.

I was looking into some rumors I'd heard that certain bones don't fuse until age 25, and apparently it's true. The clavice, pelvis, and a couple others can still grow past 21 years of age in males.

Now I figured I was safe in doing prohormones because I haven't gained any height in about 4 years. I assumed my bones were done growing.

Now, to anyone who knows: Is a moderate prohormone cycle guaranteed to close once-open growth plates? Is any potential closure dose- and cycle length-dependant, ie could I avoid the issue by only doing short, moderate cycles? I've also heard it's more of an estrogenic effect... is this true? Would this mean that using a prohormone that doesn't aromatize and/or having good anti-estrogen control while "on" could prevent the problem?

It does seem to be affected more by estrogen.

No one can say for sure. Can't say how much someone "would have" grown.

I spent about 2 hours on pubmed doing various searches. On the whole the only research related to hormones and their effect on growth is in youths with growth disorders. The most definitive stuff I've seen said that children on oxandrolone for upwards of a year saw a 10-20% decrease in expected height.

That seems kind of encouraging, especially considering I'm planning at most two 2-week cycles in the forseeable future. However my doses would be much higher than those used by children, and with a compound that does aromatize, unlike oxandrolone, which doesn't. So many damned variables!

This was helpful: http://physrev.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/81/1/419#top

I mean if running a couple tiny cycles is going to kill 2 mm of growth in my clavicle, I'm not too concerned.

I guess I really should ask a doctor about this but I'm afraid I'll get the expected patronizing answer of "steroids bad!"

I avoided replying to this thread of yours because I really don't have much information on this, nor do I have the motivation to research it properly, but as far as I know, the risk is not of it "going to kill 2 mm of growth in my clavicle" but the actual fusing of the growth plates derived form the estrogen spike. If this happen you're not growing anymore. I know I grew untill I was at least 23 years old, maybe even later than that.

If complete supression of estrogen, with all the negative effects it can have, is advisable as a solution I don't know.

Back