Need Help with Elbow Position for Front Squats

savagebeast

I'd really like to learn how to front squat. The only thing that's stopping me is that I have trouble holding/positioning the bar. When I try to hold the bar like this

md2cbig.jpg

it's right against my neck, and I don't like that. I'd really like to be able to hold it like this

(Good Elbow Position)
ElbowStance.jpg

but unfortunately, I lack the flexibility or something. I dunno, maybe my wrists aren't flexible enough. But for whatever reason, I can't get my elbows up high enough so I end up holding the bar like this

(BAD Elbow Position)
ElbowsTooLowStance.jpg

Any helpful advice for me?

I'm not sure this is terribly helpful, but ....
What I do is use the grip similar to your top picture, but I really have to focus on keeping my elbows very, very high in front of me. Doing this raises the deltoid way up and I use my fingers between my neck and the bar to hold the bar tight against the deltoids. I don't know if that explanation makes sense, but I've done no squats other than front squats for more than a dozen years now. My lower back is much happier! Raising the elbows as high as possible in front is the key for me. My hands are crossed, but farther apart than your picture. Good luck!

Front squats are also a staple in my workout repertoire. I hold the bar pretty much the way the guy is in your first pic. In my case, I balance the weight across/atop my upper pecs and front delts, using my hands to keep it from rolling off. I don't really stick my elbows out in front of me all that much--I keep the bar in place through a combination of gravity, balance, and hand positioning.

Back