Training with a Hiatus hernia

Smee

Hi all,
Just been diagnosed with a medium sized hiatus hernia and associated GERD.
The doc didn't specifically say anything about not training, but I was more interested in the groovy way the room was spinning
crazy.gif
at the time to actually ask about training.
I'm onto my 2nd workout in the 10's and don't really want to stop since this is my first real cycle and it's going great !!'
I'll ask the doc, but any ideas if I should be laying off for the moment ?
Thanks !!

As long as the Doc gave you something to control the acid reflux, such as Nexium, there is no reason not to work out. Untreated, though, exercise can lead to stomach acid being pushed up into the esophagus which can result in an esophageal ring or web. You don't want one of those buggers. Over the counter antacids, such as Pepcid AC, Prilosec and Zantac can control the reflux. Nexium, though, can actually help heal any damage that acid may have already done to the esoghagus but a prescription is required to obtain it.

As for the hiatal hernia, most people have one and don't even know it. Exercise won't bother it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ May 19 2005,12:53)]As long as the Doc gave you something to control the acid reflux, such as Nexium, there is no reason not to work out. Untreated, though, exercise can lead to stomach acid being pushed up into the esophagus which can result in an esophageal ring or web. You don't want one of those buggers. Over the counter antacids, such as Pepcid AC, Prilosec and Zantac can control the reflux. Nexium, though, can actually help heal any damage that acid may have already done to the esoghagus but a prescription is required to obtain it.
As for the hiatal hernia, most people have one and don't even know it. Exercise won't bother it.
Thanks for that reassurance !
thumbs-up.gif

I suspected as much and common sense prevailed ! I did my work out tonight. The symptoms have been around intermittently for over 2 years so I guessed another workout or 2 before I asked the doc wouldn't hurt any more.
I have some acid damage which the doc is wanting to control and repair with a daily pill called Pariet.
From what I've read, pressure in the abdomen contributes, which got me thinking that strengthening the core might help reduce the pressure during squats and the like ?
Anybody got thoughts on whether it would be worth the effort trying to get core stength up in excess of what is "required" for squats, deads etc. ?

Back