Growth Plate Fusion

OneMoreRep

Hey guys,

Does anyone happen to have any good information about growth plate fusion & the end of puberty and what age it occurs??

A few sites i've read say 16-17, others as late as 25... is this to suggest a range? Quite broad!!

Right now i'm 20, STILL getting hairier, my friends say i look a lil bit taller, (and i didn't ask, them they told me)... I still have minimal facial hair, where as my dad and grandfather have TONS...

Is it possible i'm not done growing yet? and not ALL the way through puberty?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

I'm wondering at what age puberty and all the changes and complete.

sounds like a steroid question in disguise.

it varies tremendously, but at 20 it is fairly likely you are still growing/maturing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Aug. 04 2005,5:52)]sounds like a steroid question in disguise.
it varies tremendously, but at 20 it is fairly likely you are still growing/maturing.
This is what I figure. Hmmmmmm.

I actually was fairly hairless on most of my body until around 22-23, when suddenly I started turning into a gorilla. I couldn't grow a full beard until that time as well. I didn't grow any taller though, as far as I know... so I think it is possible it could last until 24-25 years old.

hmmm... interesting... I didn't seem much of ANy information on pubmed about this...

I wonder what kind of indicators signifiy the completion...

I am a short guy standing at 5'6" at 19 years of age so I have talked with doctors and done some of my own research regarding growth plate fusion. Many times your growth plates do not completely fuse until around 25, but this does not mean one will grow taller. You can effectively stop "growing" in terms of height before your plates are fused.
However, doctors agree that once the growth plates are fused, no further height is possible. There are all sorts of ridiculous frauds on the internet for magic pills like "height max" and such. Furthermore, there are even people attaching 50 pound dumbells to their shins, sitting in a chair for hours every day all in the hope that this pulling weight will cause microtrauma on their bones which will help pull the bone down, increasing their height!
So, in case you were considering any of these frauds or if you come across them somehow, don't even bother.

Anyway, the answer to all your questions can be done with a simple visit to the doctor!

Tell your doctor you'd like an x-ray to be done to determine if your growth plates are fused. He'll write you a prescription for an x-ray, you'll go get it, and the same day (if I recall correctly, I think it was the same visit), you'll be showed your x-ray and they will say either "your plates are fused" or "your plates are not yet fused."

My plates are fused. While I would have liked to have been taller, at least I came out good looking.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]While I would have liked to have been taller, at least I came out good looking.
tounge.gif

laugh.gif
Yep, nice one Scooper. I'll take being good looking versus taller any day as well!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ Aug. 04 2005,8:03)]I actually was fairly hairless on most of my body until around 22-23, when suddenly I started turning into a gorilla.  I couldn't grow a full beard until that time as well.
Yeah, the growth of hair on your body depends on your ethnic background. I don't have all my facial hair or chest hair (dont care for it either) in at the age of 20, but then again, I'm not Italian!

I've heard things about people still growing till 25 as baby a said growth plates fuse at that time. With this being the case, at the age of 20, I could possibly grow an extra half inch or inch taller, but that is doubtful. Most height growth in men happens before they turn 18 years old as you know.

I wouldn't put too much hope in to growing a few more inches - maybe .5 to 1 inch at most in the next 5 years.

-Colby

oh yes i know but hey a 1/2 inch is a 1/2 inch! who'd complain?

the last bones to seal are the clavicles and shoulders, and who would complain about wider shoulders?!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]While I would have liked to have been taller, at least I came out good looking.
tounge.gif

Amen to that. Luckily, I managed to land at 6' tall, and still get dubbed a "lady killer".

Some day, though, that name's gonna get me into trouble...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chthonian @ Aug. 08 2005,9:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]While I would have liked to have been taller,  at least I came out good looking.  
tounge.gif

Amen to that. Luckily, I managed to land at 6' tall, and still get dubbed a "lady killer".
Some day, though, that name's gonna get me into trouble...
hahahaha, it's suuuuuch a funny term

Back