first time hst

truth

hey guys i'm planning on starting my first hst cycle next monday

few questions..could someone tell me if i'm understanding correctly

so i start out doing a 15-rep cycle. 6 workouts, mon wed fri

before i begin i have to find my 15RM for ALL exercises

then as an example, if my 15RM is 200lbs for bench, i set that 15x200lbs for bench on my 6th work out, and work backwards by decreasing weight, so 15x195 for my 5th workout, etc.

after those 2 weeks i go down to a 10-rep cycle. i do the same by finding my 10RM before i begin, set the weights, and go. then i do 5 reps for 2 weeks. then go into another 2 week cycle of 5's or negatives. then i start back up with 15's unless i'm feeling really good, etc.

do i have the basic understanding?

i noticed next to dips it says use dumbbells if shoulders bother you. what does that mean? dumbbell shoulder press?

What is a W&N grip?

If you can't do many chins can you do them assisted on the machine?

OK SD...this is really confusing me. from the HST Guide it says it's just a week where you don't train at all.

Then when you read the SD Article it makes it seem like it's a different training program?

Can someone clarify?

Thanks.

Truth

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]before i begin i have to find my 15RM for ALL exercises

Man...I just worked on my 1RM and then used 65 - 70% of it for my 15's but that is up to each one.
happy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]then as an example, if my 15RM is 200lbs for bench, i set that 15x200lbs for bench on my 6th work out, and work backwards by decreasing weight, so 15x195 for my 5th workout, etc.

More or less, the increments are 5 - 10% depending on choice, usually 5% for isolation exercises and 10% for the big compounds (eg: squat).

I rather found my 1 RM for all, and used:
65 - 70% for 15's
75 - 80% for 10's
85- 95% for 5's
100 - 120% for negatives

This was my own choice as it deviates slightly from the mainstream HST guideline but the main basis is all there!
thumbs-up.gif

W & N (wide and Narrow- refers to grip styles)

SD or strategic deconditioning is a minimum of 9 days off training (Stop Friday and start the Monday after one week), the reasoning is that muscle memory is basically cleared allowing the muscles to respond freshly to minimal loads as in 15's.

Muscle memory sets in after a muscle is induced with a lod for a ceratin period of time, and reaches a lag phase where there is what we calla "sticking point", SD kind of takes care of this, but let me not stumble
laugh.gif
with words, Bryan has a full article on this with all the scientific reasoning behind it.

Hope this helps

Fausto

Just to add,

You should find all your maxes before you start the 15's. Take a week and on Monday find you 15RM, Wen-10RM,Fri-5RM then SD for 9 to 14 days or 12 days if you wish then start your 15's.

Finding you max before each RM Phase means you are loading with the heaviest weight then going light again, that's not what you want.

My question is good to just add on to this post. How about I accidently did half my 10RM when I was supposed to do 15RM on Monday. I definitely noticed some DOMS, so what should I do since I am starting my 1st day of 10's today?

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ July 13 2005,8:50)]Just to add,
You should find all your maxes before you start the 15's. Take a week and on Monday find you 15RM, Wen-10RM,Fri-5RM then SD for 9 to 14 days or 12 days if you wish then start your 15's.
Finding you max before each RM Phase means you are loading with the heaviest weight then going light again, that's not what you want.
hey thanks for the input. good thing i read this before tomorrow's workout.

well since we missed monday, we'll find our 15RM tomorrow which is thursday.

i don't know though..i did the arnold's workout yesterday for my chest and it is so sore it's nuts. he has you do 3 chest exercises, all 4 sets each going from 15, 12, 10, 6

i did bench all 4 sets and then a couple sets of incline and i was DONE

finding my 15RM for my chest tomorrow might not be very enjoyable

so 9-14 days SD means no gym whatsoever. can you do cardio? just don't lift weights?

Back