Building side delts.. any alternatives?

jww13

I can do military press and shoulder press, but once I reach semi-heavy weights my shoulders can't take it any more.

Raising my arms past 90 degrees with heavy weight just causes a terrible (joint) pain in both shoulders.

Anyways, I'm looking for alternative ways to work my side delts. I feel my anterior (front) delts get plenty of work from benchpress. As for side delts, do lateral raises actually do anything for size? I started with 15x10 and recently moved up to 20's. The weight just seems too light to actually induce hypertrophy.

What are your experiences with lateral raises?

thanks

I added in wide grip upright rows in my last cycle and I loved them. I hadn't done that movement in a long time, and it seemed to hit my shoulders really well.

JJW13,

Thanks for the max potential spread sheet if that was you.:worship

I have seen people with huge shoulders do only bent arm laterals, no presses. Not sure if that's how they got that way though. I have also read about and tried straight side laterals with a weight that is too heavy to actually do a side lateral. Don't cheat, just do a very limited motion, maybe 1/4 or less. I have tried this, it burns the shoulders good and is very easy on the joints but lets you feel a heavier weight.

I had pain like you describe but probably not as severe. I had really good luck warming up slowly, doing rear delts first, then press. It really seemed like the stronger my rear delts got the less the shoulder joint hurt. But just getting them pumped first, in the same workout, did something. Maybe imbalance or something.

Back