Never too old to put on muscle!!

zoomz

J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001 Nov;49(11):1428-33

Muscle size responses to strength training in young and older men and women.

Roth SM, Ivey FM, Martel GF, Lemmer JT, Hurlbut DE, Siegel EL, Metter EJ, Fleg JL, Fozard JL, Kostek MC, Wernick DM, Hurley BF.

Department of Kinesiology, University of Maryland, College Park 20742, USA.

OBJECTIVES: To examine the possible influences of age and gender on muscle volume responses to strength training (ST). DESIGN: Prospective intervention study. SETTING: University of Maryland Exercise Science and Wellness Research Laboratories. PARTICIPANTS: Eight young men (age 20-30 years), six young women (age 20-30 years), nine older men (age 65-75 years), and ten older women (age 65-75 years). INTERVENTION: A 6-month whole-body ST program that exercised all major muscle groups of the upper and lower body 3 days/week. MEASUREMENTS: Thigh and quadriceps muscle volumes and mid-thigh muscle cross-sectional area (CSA) were assessed by magnetic resonance imaging before and after the ST program. RESULTS: Thigh and quadriceps muscle volume increased significantly in all age and gender groups as a result of ST (P < .001), with no significant differences between the groups. Modest correlations were observed between both the change in quadriceps versus the change in total thigh muscle volume (r = 0.65; P < .001) and the change in thigh muscle volume versus the change in mid-thigh CSA (r = 0.76, P < .001). CONCLUSIONS: The results indicate that neither age nor gender affects muscle volume response to whole-body ST. Muscle volume, rather than muscle CSA, is recommended for studying muscle mass responses to ST.

PMID: 11890579 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Wonder why they left out ages 30 to 65? I'm 46 and I can attest to the fact that adding muscle is not age dependant. I'm coming to the end of my 3rd HST cycle and have added more muscle in those 3 cycles than all my previous training when I was in my 20's. :)

Old & Grey, who's now quit the forum (unfortunately), also told of great gains, at least since starting HST. And he is around 60...

/R

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rain @ Aug. 26 2005,5:09)]Old & Grey, who's now quit the forum (unfortunately), also told of great gains, at least since starting HST. And he is around 60...
/R
O&G's gains are on one side due to hst, on the other side due to the fact that he got his testosterone levels back on track...

Mostly hst though :)

Yeah, I think i remember him saying that he got his testosterone levels back on track before starting HST, without seing as good gains as with HST. I might be wrong, though...

/ R

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rain @ Aug. 29 2005,10:51)]Yeah, I think i remember him saying that he got his testosterone levels back on track before starting HST, without seing as good gains as with HST. I might be wrong, though...
/ R
I thought he said that Bryan pointed him out to check the t-levels...

we'll probably never know :)

O&G got in a spat a few weeks ago and left. I miss him.

Young guys over estimate the effect of age. I know guys who are very very impressive in their 40s, 50s and yes 60s I know one guy who is huge in his 70s. Really.

What guys in their 20s don't realize is guys in their 40s have an extra 20 years of mass building. A friend in his 40ies was acused of being on roids by a 20 year old. the conversation in the gym went something like this:

20yo: "Dude you can't get as big as you and not be on roids"

43yo: "When did you start lifting"

20yo: "Dude I've been lifting all my life --started at 13"

43yo: " I started at 13 too. Lift for another 20 years and eat right and see how big you get"

Testosterone can be an issue at any age. I think O&G said he used some herbs to help him. I have tried avena sativa and Muria Puama and they seem to work.

It is just difficult to pee in the morning.

butbut.gif
:confused: :D Bob

First, thank you zoomz for using this forum for what its for. Great post.

Second, thank you Bob for making me laugh. :D Another excellent post.

Spat...? Who spatted @ O&G...?

I had O&G in the "Bill Pearl" box...

Gracious, knowledgable, you double checked what he said.

dang....

Actually, I miss him too. Strange thing to say about someone I actually never knew in the the first place. But when I started visiting the forum he was still around, and I really enjoyed reading his posts, most of which was knowledgeable, humorous as well as sharing his experiences (both good and bad) from 40 years or so of training.

Sometimes we become to immersed in the technical and theorethical side of things. Sure, that's more or less the foundation of HST -- applying science in a structured way -- but there are other dimensions, that are equally important. Reading O&G's posts really motivated me, and gave some perspective on my own training. It's not just about following the principles. It's about doing it with a long term passion and enjoyment.

Most BB-related forums have a different tone than this one. On factor that makes this forum much nicer, is that people here generally are much more helpful. In my humble opinion one contributing factor to this is that the medium age here seems higher. I think we need people like O&G for perspective and experience, and the wisdom that sometimes follows.

Sorry if I strayed off topic.

Regards,
/R

Back