arm specialization

killroy70

I've read a lot of posts that disucss increasing frequency of workouts to optimize mass gain. I was wondering what some thought about increasing frequency for only select bodyparts that are lagging. For example, I seem to do fine with 3 days/week on legs/chest/back, but my arms overall seem to be behind everything else.

I was thinking about either

a) performing some extra exercises for the biceps and triceps either in evening (still working out 3 days/wk, but an am/pm split with arms worked in the am and also in the pm)

or

b) working out 6 days/week, full body 3 days (mon/wed/fri) and a few select arm exercises on tues/thurs/sat

Any thoughts?

Here is the routine I am thinking about:

am workout (3 days/wk):

Squats
glute/ham raise
bench press
parallel bar chins
Dips
chest supported barbell row
overhead press
upright dm rows
rear delt raises (lying on side)
barbell curls
lying db tri extensions
zottman curls
lying EZ bar tri extensions

extra arm work (either pm or off days)

supinated grip chins (palms facing)
1-arm assisted push ups (1 arm in push-up position, other arm extended out to the side, parallel to the ground, with finger tips on box for support)

2 sets of each

What worked for me arm wise:

Increase frequency (i did 5x week)
stretch movements (incline db curls, skullcrushers)
heavy, long post 5's, metabolic work, loaded stretches, etc.

the arms can take quite a pounding without killing your CNS

Lance, in general, when talking about the 5 rep range, what's the best way of performing the workouts, in your opinion? The reason I'm asking is that I've read through the posts how there are different methods that one can employ to ensure they're getting the most out of the 5 rep range workouts.

Specifically, when to incorporate burn out sets/clusters? Should they be performed at every workout? in the second week of 5's? or in the 5RM/neg phase?

Also, I've read that it's recommended that when performing a "burn out set" or "clusters" after a set of 5, it should only be on the last set of each exercise - but should this be taken to failure?

* Also, what should be the target rep-range for the burnout set?

*Should these be performed on all exercises?

**what percentage of weight should be removed for a "burn out set"
**for "cluster sets?"

any info would be appreciated.

Back