When do you see the most gains?

jww13

When do you see the most gains? I know this is covered in a FAQ, but I thought it'd be interesting to see the community's input.

Thanks

Post 5's!

Post neg's!

Last cycle, all heavy, after my 5rm i kept increasing the weights weekly. Things went incredibly ... weights got heavy as hell, clustering 10 reps of negatives for arms and such. Never thought i'd be DB flying 75's, but it was done. 3 reps or so at a time, and a nice loaded stretch afterwards.

Best results come during the post-negatives for me. That's when I get my UFC buddy to "strain" my pecs with his fists. Oh sure, I then have to type with a pencil in my mouth, but dang the hypertrophy!

Generally, the heavier the better. When I get to negatives with stretch-point movement, it feels like my muscle is being torn apart and reshaped. But if you do negatives, you have to get your metabolic work somewhere else or your muscle will look kinda flat.

cheers,
Jules

This is to truth. Like DKM once said ... ahem something along these lines :

Couple cluster sest with metabolic work for a P38 Map16/k? wet dream.

Those numbers and letters mean growth stimulis baby!

Huh??? Wazzat?
rock.gif

Basically if you do 3 sets of 5 rep sets then you've performed less work in a physical sense then if you've done three sets of 15 reps so some people do an extra set of lighter weight so they have done a good amount of work and also had the benefit of working under a heavy load. Another method used is to keep the rep number constant.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">what do you mean by metabolic work? Cardio?</div>
Metabolic work, as used in HST, denotes an exercise induced occlusion environment (i.e. lack of oxygen). Basically it is an attempt to activate the erk1/2 pathway, which is believed to facilitate hypertrophy (all these are described in the FAQ). So, after the work sets (which aim primarily at the activation of the p38 pathway, especially when the rep count is low), metabolic work can be done to top things off. This is typically achieved by a high-rep set (15-20 or even more reps), by the use of rest-pause techniques, loaded stretches etc. With metabolic work we normally aim for that &quot;burning&quot; feeling deep in the muscle being worked (which is due to occlusion and its byproducts). See also the &quot;Pimp my HST e-book&quot; by Jules (aka Vicious).

Hope this helps,
Dimitris

im sorry but anyone who has trained naturally for a few years knows you cant see gains happening in such a short space of time.yes you might get more pumped in the 15's or you might get some size from carb loading and de-loading but how do you see a difference when 5 and negs last 2-4 weeks.and you would find it difficult to &quot;see&quot; the difference when youve added a pound or two on unless your well under 10%bf.

more importantly how do you know that your gains arent steadily coming in your 15's and 10's and when you reach 5's they are fizzling out,but because you notice a difference in size then you assume it was the 5's.it just dont cut it.

Don't know - this is my first HST cycle and I've still got one workout in the 10's left to do tomorrow morning.

I've trained very hard over the last 3 years and made no real gains. Lots of progress over the years - 160lbs of fat loss, started HST at 173lbs with about 10% body fat.

For the first time I'm eating big like a lifter should. I'm now at 193.6lbs at 9% body fat - checked at my doc's office yesterday.

Is it the workout? Not exclusively. I've also been working with the test level of an 87 year old woman and the doc now has that fixed. I'm now eating enough for the first time ever. I've increased my PWO dextrose spike to 57g. Still using 5g creatine.

I gained 1/2 inch during the 15's pretty much all over. Another 1/2 inche during the 10's in the same places. Is it new muscle - nope, mostly water from more carbs and the new test is likely helping hold water too. Still, 20lbs without looking bloated - still have abs, still have delt striations, still have veins across the delts and onto my chest...must be a pound or two of muscle anyway.

Anyway, that's my HST experience to date.

Back