Golden Oppertunity

yshemesh

Banned
i've graduated and now waiting for my army service. in other words, i have NOTHING to do, but Work, Eat, Sleep, Get Drunk and Workout !

thinking this is a Golden opperunity to do some experiments :>
also, i was lucky enough to come across a bench and some weights at my boss' house that he wasn't using. he gave them to me for free !

a few ideas ...
- training throughout the whole day
- stretch overload
- extreme stretching

i reeeaally wanna experiment with hyperplasia ideas.
what else would you have a guinnie pig like me do ?

thoughts are welcome. if you feel stupid posting "wacky ideas" on the board, PM me.

Training throughout the day has allways enticed me. I've wanted to have a home gym so i could do such a thing. Or atleast emphasize certain bodyparts by working them all day, lol.

When i was in football i had a lifting partner who was known for having the biggest chest and arms of the whole team. Ya know what he did? We were also very good friends so i got to see what he did. He did pushups and curls all the time at his house, everyday, tons of them. I remember one day he told me he did 400 pushups (or something absurd like that). He said it took him 4 hours and then he started laughing. But i'll tell you what ... as a junior he maxed 315 on bench. Junior in HS that is.

I used to think he was out of his mind, but now that i've learned the real principles of hypertrophy, i've realized he was doing himself good. Frequent training. There you go.

Hmmm ... other ideas i've thought of. Ah hah! Long HST cycles. Since weights you are not conditioned to are effective for more than one workout, i've considered long HST cycles before. Each weight used for a week instead of one day. Your HST cycles would be much longer depending on if you changed the amount of progression and so on ... but i'd like to hear what others think of such an idea. I'd imagine it would be a great way to really concentrate on your form and make the most of your workouts. Work the muscle not the weight, and so on.

Also a hardcore idea. This is something i'm influenced from the IronAge alot. I'm all into the old school bodybuilders, their physique over today's physiques, and so on. As most know they trainined very intensely, and frequently. They went by pure instinct and seemed to have some of the principles of hypertrophy allready down pat. Frequent training, something banned these days. I guess that's the most obvious one, lol. But the idea was to train quite intensely. High volume HST ... make sure to sleep and eat A LOT of food to keep up with it. I can only see better gains coming out of doing something like this, as long as you can keep up with it. But we're talking a major load on somebody to do this. Eating A LOT of food, training alot, although some say it's not that important, i think sleep is very beneficial. Atleast psychologically. This is some major dedication though.

If i think of anything else i'll shout out.

something like 6 workouts, 10 mins each, 1 exercise per body part, 1 intense set, each followed by a 30 sec loaded stretch.

i wanna make the most out of my newbie status. from all i've read, this is the bestl time for gains. 18 years old, never lifted seriously 'til HST, great recovery.

i know it sounds crazy .. but i really am a crazy dude ...
once i jumped in the pool right after i ate ... crazy #### like that ..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (yshemesh @ Jan. 13 2005,5:16)]i really am a crazy dude ...
once i jumped in the pool right after i ate ... crazy #### like that ..
That is awesome! Hahahaha.

A man who likes living on the extreme edge.
worship.gif

I'm not sure how you'd adjust nutrition b/c i don't think you made exactly clear how you had decided to train. And of course, your goals. Gain weight i'm presuming? Eat more, lol.

Another idea struck me that i'm going to try in a couple weeks after i SD. Old and Grey does this, and i've been thinking of doing it for a while, will be doing it for sure in a couple weeks.

I know i talked about long HST cycles above, but i'm more interested in short HST cycles, for short term goals. 4 weeks, 1 x 15, 10, 5, and 5rm/negs or whatever other things you do like dropsets, etc. So 4 week HST cycles. Plan is to experiment. With only 4 week cycles, i feel i have a short term goal or test that will be much easier to follow through. For instance, try to emphasize something. For me i'd probably do chest or arms at this stage. I could change my arm exercises, see if the results are more than usual. Or just try a higher volume HST cycle than usual, different dieting practices, etc. Experimenting. I find it hard to try out new things when my cycle is 8 weeks long. That's a long time for one goal .. well for me. If i'm cutting, i find 1 or 2 weeks of cutting and i'm pleased with how i look, i don't need 8 weeks to do it. I'm sure i'd be even more pleased if i cut for 8 weeks, but i havn't yet tried such a thing. Kind of intimidated by it. =)

As a soph in HS at 165 pounds I maxed on bench at 395
worship.gif
But that was about 7 years ago........man time flies. I was taking protien and creatine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (yshemesh @ Jan. 13 2005,5:16)]something like 6 workouts, 10 mins each, 1 exercise per body part, 1 intense set, each followed by a 30 sec loaded stretch.
i haven't decided how i'll train yet. that depends on the ideas i get here. but above ^ is one option.

i wanna exploit my newbieness to the fullest.
that means, gaining muscle while losing fat ! whoo !
"lean gaining" ?

short cycles can't be good for me -- toooo much overlap. RBE is not haunting me like some of you guys. i do a week of each weight, and could probably do even more and still gain.

what i really wanna experiment with is Hyperplasia !
quoting Blade : Hyperplasia is more likely to occur when the loading stimulus is abrupt and frequent (or constant).

abrupt ? check
frequent ? check
loaded stretches ? check

what else ?

anywhoo ... keep 'em coming !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (iceman0625 @ Jan. 14 2005,3:30)]As a soph in HS at 165 pounds I maxed on bench at 395
worship.gif
But that was about 7 years ago........man time flies. I was taking protien and creatine.
That's unreal.

Want extreme HST? Here ya go. ;)

cough,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
1) Twice-a-day training. Every set you perform on a bodypart creates a set of metabolic and other physiological mechanisms, decreasing MAPk38 and microtrauma potential for each following set. Rather then performing multiple sets per exercise, you would repeat the workout morning and night. This also enhances the nutrient partitioning effect for glycogen upload, creates strain ahead of the RBE curve, and creates more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. You could, of course, train more often but this is already exhausting.

2) Total 10-12X-a-week training. (In other words, load muscles as often as you can stand it) This is a lot of training and requires the trainee to target one increment below their maximal load. Repeated mechanical strain and elevated protein synthesis rates for 6-7 days/week requires an aggressive approach to the diet. Eat at least 1500 calories surplus.

3) POF arrangement of exercises. Only compound movements during 15s. Compound + stretch movements in 10s. Compound, stretch, and peak-contraction movements in 5s onward. If total # of sets becomes too large, prioiritize bodyparts. When working with stretch-position movements, consider cheatng a little through concentric portion in order to emphasize heavier training loads.

4) Peak-contraction movements should be worked toward burn. This can be done with drop sets, pulsing, static holds, superslow, or high-rep sets. It is not important that they follow a progressive loading scheme.

5) Extend negatives to at least 4 weeks progressively loading to 110-120% of 1RM. When 5 continuous reps are impossible, then break up sets until you hit 5 reps. The peak-contraction movement would take care of the metabolic impetus needed. Thus, total cycle can be 8-10 weeks.

6) Starting with 5s, inititate the stretch-reflex on last rep or two of stretch movements. This increases effective tension at most stretched position.

7) Add in 30-60 second extreme stretches during negatives phase. (See Doggcrapp, DHST, and DOMS threads)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (yshemesh @ Jan. 14 2005,5:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (yshemesh @ Jan. 13 2005,5:16)]something like 6 workouts, 10 mins each, 1 exercise per body part, 1 intense set, each followed by a 30 sec loaded stretch.
i haven't decided how i'll train yet. that depends on the ideas i get here. but above ^ is one option.
i wanna exploit my newbieness to the fullest.
that means, gaining muscle while losing fat ! whoo !
"lean gaining" ?
short cycles can't be good for me -- toooo much overlap. RBE is not haunting me like some of you guys. i do a week of each weight, and could probably do even more and still gain.
what i really wanna experiment with is Hyperplasia !
quoting Blade : Hyperplasia is more likely to occur when the loading stimulus is abrupt and frequent (or constant).
abrupt ? check
frequent ? check
loaded stretches ? check
what else ?
anywhoo ... keep 'em coming !
Loaded stretching - is that negative reps/eccentrics?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Loaded stretching - is that negative reps/eccentrics?

Except that you hold the weight in a static position for a lengthy amount of time, usually to trigger the stretch reflex, thus increasing effective tension in the stretched position.

Loaded stretching could be something like mimicing a fly movement but with the hands as close to the ground as possible. Then, while still holding the weight, you'd wait 30-60 seconds until you feel your muscles begin resisting.

This is pretty painful stuff, but it can be extremely effective when used judiciously.

cheers,
Jules

So doing a negative repetition, and then holding it in the 'most stretched out' position for 30-60 seconds....?

You would use a lighter load (about 50-60% of 1RM) and usually a specialized stretch permissible with a load. The "fly-stretch" happens to map very well for pecs.

However, yes, another variation is to hold the weight at the stretched position after your last negative rep. Given the high load, I wouldn't do that longer than 10-15 seconds lest you tear the muscle.

cheers,
Jules

i knew Vicious would come to the rescue ..

how would my pre/post WO nutrition look like for a 6 tiems a day training ? i was thinking 5-10 grams whey pre and just anything i can find for post. after all, it's 10 minute workouts .. i should focus on slow proteins really, throughout the whole day.

thoughts thoughts thoughts thoughts thoughts thoughts

[b said:
Quote[/b] (yshemesh @ Jan. 15 2005,10:10)]thoughts thoughts thoughts thoughts thoughts thoughts
How exactly do you intend to measure hyperplasia? Ive yet to find a home biopsy kit...

I was watching fear factor one time and the host asked a guy what the nastiest thing he ever ate was. He said, "cold pizza", with a disgusted look on his face.

jules, i was too freaked out to do DHST when we talked about it, but i'll enjoy watching him try it. I'm probly starting DC next week and I'll stick w/ that for a while. I'm really looking for the quick strength burst.

Back