planning 2nd cycle...questions...

killroy70

I'm coming off one of the most productive 8 weeks of weight training I've experienced.  I've been lifting for 10 years and have done HST before, but this time I employed some other tactics that have been discussed on the forum.  For one, in past cycles (I haven't done HST in about 2 years), I did a very standard HST routine: 2 weeks 15 reps, 2 weeks 10, 2 weeks 5 reps, 2 seeks 5RM.
With this cycle, I increased my volume slightly, and when I arrived at the second week of 5's, I started to employ some intensification techniques, which I followed through my 2 weeks of 5RM/negatives.  Basically, I performed 2 work sets and followed the second work set with a 30 second rest and a drop set.  Now, I only used drop sets in my compound lifts, but I saw the greatest increase in overall mass AS WELL AS strength.  I am sure that I was experiencing the "post tetanic potentiation" phenomenon, as when I completed my 5RM in bench, I saw my drop set (my 10RM) increasing significantly.  What followed in my next few workouts was an increase in my 5RM.  In some exericses, where I was expecting to be performing 1-2 reps followed by 3-4 negatives, I was completing the set with 5 full reps.  Very encouraging.
My main question is this:  can I use these intensification techniques (drop sets, "power pulsing") in the second week of 10's without overtraining?  Here is the workout I'm planning:
Trap bar deadlift
glute ham raises
bench press
supinated chins
dips
incline dumbbell rows
upright dumbbell rows
overhead press
lying (on side) rear delt raises
preacher curls
Incline tri extensions (behind head - stretch)
hammer curls
decline tri extensions (to forehead)
This workout will be performed 3x/wk.  My goal is HYPERTROPHY.  I will be eating to gain.  Any comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated.  Thanks for taking the time to read!

First off, congratulations on your gains. It's really encouraging and motivating when, after years of lifting, you experience a renewal of gains. That said, I wouldn't get too enthusiastic with the drop sets and the intensification techniques. I'm no expert, but I believe that the 10's are a little early to employ such techniques and maybe you will run out of steam soon. Save these techniques for your 5's and especially the post-5's, follow the principles and focus on your nutrition (this is the one that can really make a difference). Just my opinion, though. Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply. You're probably right, sometimes after a successful cycle where solid gains were made, I get into the "more is better mindset." I'm going to hold off on the intensification techniques until the second week of 5's and into the 5RM/negative phase.

Drop sets, pulses, partials and other techniques can certainly help, but I don't believe they can be the "magic pill" we seek. They can be of some help only if the other aspects of your training are in order first. Besides, sometimes we erroneously attribute our gains to something that was incidental at the time, while the true reason was so simple... No matter what method of training I used and what intensification techniques, I couldn't grow until I started to eat BIG. I can't stress this enough. It's all a matter of how you manage your weekly volume according to your caloric intake (assuming of course a sound routine and good nutritional habits).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (9to5lifter @ Aug. 08 2005,9:13)]I couldn't grow until I started to eat BIG. I can't stress this enough. It's all a matter of how you manage your weekly volume according to your caloric intake (assuming of course a sound routine and good nutritional habits).
DITTO
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm no expert, but I believe that the 10's are a little early to employ such techniques and maybe you will run out of steam soon. Save these techniques for your 5's and especially the post-5's, follow the principles and focus on your nutrition

From what I've read in the customization threads as well as the pimp-my-HST ebook, you don't need to do such things as clustering, drop-sets, or metabolic sets until 5's and negs. If you miss a rep or two here and there because you don't want to goto failure and have fatigue, then I wouldn't worry about it.

As long as you follow the main protocols of HST followed by a healthy diet full of all the calories and protein that are needed to add mass, you shouldn't have to worry about such techniques.

-Colby

Back