2016 Log

DL and bench

109.1 some of it is bloat, some is poor diet adherence over the past week. Time to tighten up without excuses or slip ups.

10min wake-up walk

DL to heavy single; 1 x10-70. 1 x5-120, 170. 1 x1-220, 270. Got it on the third attempt again. The first two times I wasn’t setting up behind the bar well enough and didn’t have any counter balance leverage. This was an absolute grinder and took the left glute-adductor-hamstring to its limit. Skipped the backoffs as a result and decided to bring RDLs forward and throw in some nordics, as I want something for knee flexion somewhere.

RDL back offs; 3 x9-170.

3-2-0 tempo bench, feet up, 1 x4@7; 1 x10-70. 1 x4-100@9. I just couldn’t find my groove here.
Back offs, 3x4@5; 3 x4-80@5.

CG weighted neutral pull-ups; 1 x10-bw. 4 x4-bw+25kg. Did the last set as full-ROM clustered singles and will stick with that for this session. No point failing rep total on account of forearms.
Supersetted.

Nordic negatives; 1 x10-bw. 2 x10 purple band assisted-bw.
Hanging leg raises; 2 x20-bw. 2 sets enough with squatting tomorrow.
Supersetted.

Probably lucky not to have an injury today but the rep was also definitely there.

Purple band on the nordics was maybe a tad too much help. Will see how green goes next time.

Ring finger on the ring for bench was ok by the final back off. Upper back arch needs a lot of work.

Daily walks
1 x15min
1 x30min

Ah I don't know why I didn't think of band assistance for nordics... Sounds like a much better way to progress these. I've been doing nordics, and just assistance with hands/push back up when needed. Also the hip hinged variation with minimal assistance needed.

How is your band setup? Attached behind you and wrapped around the waist or under armpits?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ah I don't know why I didn't think of band assistance for nordics... Sounds like a much better way to progress these. I've been doing nordics, and just assistance with hands/push back up when needed. Also the hip hinged variation with minimal assistance needed.

How is your band setup? Attached behind you and wrapped around the waist or under armpits?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Pull the rack safeties out halfway, loop the band, put them back in.

Setup away enough that you can use your hands on them to moderate reliance and get to it.

Heavy volume day

108.2 getting back into standing desk discipline and feeling better for it.

10min wake-up walk

DL clustered singles volume; 1 x10-70. 1 x5-120, 170. 10 x1-220. I really wanted to do more but have a time crunch today due to early work start. For the last few reps I practiced holding the slack pull for a 1-2 count before the hip drop and that felt helpful for ingraining the technique consistency.

Bench, middle finger on rings, 4-5x5@7-8; 1 x5-100@8, @8, @8, @8.5. Still figuring out technique and setting the upper back arch a bit but these are definitely improving.

Strict WG Bent over rows, 4-5x5-8; 5 x5-120. Pinky finger is roughly on the rings or up to a cm inside. I’m going to build reps on all sets before load. This is close to being the right weight to test&train my posterior chain endurance whilst being ‘doable’ for upper back and arms, i.e. the rowing component.
Supersetted.

SSB squats; 1 x5-82. 2 x5-132. This felt like the correct load and will have third set back next week when I’m not cramming things into a shorter workout timeframe.

SSB GMs; 2 x132. Slightly wider stance than DL, about hip width. Third set back next week when time is restored.

Sit-ups, bent knees, plate behind head; 1 x10-bw+15. Felt good to do these again. More to come.

Lower back entered a tiny bit too far into dynamic movement on the last set of rows, so next week I’ll make sure to just cut the ROM a little as it’s pretty much impossible to maintain a literally rigid torso angle. Just something to be mindful of, definitely not hurt because of it.

Daily walks
1 x30min
1 x15min

Last edited:
Volume day;

10min wake-up walk

Bench, middle finger on rings; 4 x10-85. I realised I haven’t been benching with enough curve back over my head, so setup differently to accommodate my this and it felt perfect. Need to lower the J-hooks one increment but otherwise it’s gold.
Seal rows; 4 x8-90.
SG axle hypers, #7 50deg; 2 x90-10. 2 x100-10. Keeping the focus on hamstrings and glutes, not sure if reset reps or continuous is better in that respect.
Giant set.
All of the 4th sets have room for improvement.

Belt squats; 1 x10-145. Keeping upright and putting everything onto the quads.
CG neutral chins, pullover style; 1 x15-bw. Will bump the reps next week.
WG OHP to chin; 1 x10-40. Still too light but I want to take it very cautiously to make sure I build the movement pattern again, given general shoulder crankiness approaching 40.
Giant set.

Nordic band-assisted; 3 x10-bw+green band. 1 x10-bw+black band from top. The latter felt a lot better and depending on where I hold the band, I can adjust the assistance.
One arm belt squat rows; 3 x8 per side-75kg. Not sure on these. The ‘bar path’ and ROM .is a lot more fixed than a landmine. Maybe t-bar with the buffalo for high reps, pre-setup.
Supersetted.

DB curls; 2 x10-15kg+DB per hand.
Overhead BB extensions; 2 x15-20kg.
Supersetted. Didn’t have enough in the tank left for more, hopefully next time.

I might cut out the second row and just do a shit tonne of nordics, arms and neck extensions at the end.

Daily walks
2 x30min
1 x15min

Last edited:
Rest day

110.1 much too high even with bloat. Reality check I needed, time to knuckle back down to 105-17 range.

Daily walks
2hrs shopping centre approx. 5km

Last edited:
DL and bench

10min wake-up walk

DL heavy single; 1 x10-70. 1 x5-120, 170. 1 x1-220. As I broke 250, something clicked/popped right where everything connects to the ball of the femur (or so it feels). Didn’t really feel like a tear, my suspicion is that it’s something moving back into place that’s been in the wrong spot for two weeks. It just be that I’ve too many miles behind me to stick with a close-V stance given how hamstring dominant it is.

Axle hyper back offs, 50deg, #7; 3 x10-90. Very manageable and only slightly uncomfortable, not painful.

3-2-0 tempo bench, 1 x4@7, 3x4@5; 1 x5-70. 1 x4-100@7. 3 x4-80@5.
Weighted chin-ups, full reset reps; 1 x10-bw. 4 x4-bw+25kg. Felt good, with the arm work these will definitely improve moving forward.
Supersetted.

Nordic, band assisted; 3 x10-bw black band from top.
Hanging leg raises; 3 x15-bw.
Supersetted.

Daily walks
1 x60min

Static stretching the hamstrings on Saturday probably didn’t help and maybe even contributed.

Last edited:
Squat and bench day

107.9 injury to the hamstring/glute/whatever isn’t as bad as yesterday. No blood or swelling. It feels very much like the something was twisted or pulled into the wrong place and then clicked back in but that has caused a fair bit of inflammation. I’ll have to consider what my DL stance will be moving forward.

10min wake-up walk.
Hindu squats; 1 x10-bw

SSB squat heavy single; 1 x5-82. 1 x3-132. 1 x1-162@8. I was a bit surprised by how easy this felt and it always threw me off. Will take that. Focusing on balance & going down and up at the same pace and control.
Back offs; 2 [email protected].

Bench heavy single, middle finger on rings; 1 x10-70. 1 x1-110, 130. It was two inches too high. I accidentally gripped too wide, wrists felt off and just focused on not pinning myself again. Will pick up some new wrist wraps and start using them again. Strength felt like it was probably there with proper setup.
Back offs; 2 x2-115@9. Still struggling to find my positioning.

WG Bent over rows, heavy, strict; 1 x10-70. 3 x8-120. I wanted to get some stimulus onto the affected area and this also lets me work on practicing my slack pull a bit. Will stick with seal rows in 6-8 range next week.
Supersetted.

Belt squats; 4 x10-145.
Seal rows; 4 x10-82.5. I was lazy and didn’t setup the mats. Won’t make that mistake again, made it too hard to get a stretch at the bottom hold.
Supersetted.

CG chin-ups; 3 x10-bw.
CG push-ups; 3 x10-bw.

DB curls; 2 x10-DB+15kgs.
Overhead BB extensions; 2 x10-30kg. These were crap. Back to banded overhead I think.
Supported banded ab crunches; 2 x20-green band. These felt great, will find a way to do more during the sessions.
Giant set.

I wasted a lot of time in the middle.

Hamstring seems like it will be ok. Back to seal rows across next week. I just need to pick up the pace.

Grip is fried.

Daily walks
3 x15min

Last edited:
Rest day

107.9 hamstring feeling better, definitely related to externally rotating the femur

Daily walks
2 x30min

Last edited:
Heavy volume day

109.8 salt and veges, not worried

10min wake-up walk

DL, || stance, clustered singles; 1 x10-70, 120. 1 x5-170. 10 x1-220. Took my time but everything was ‘ok’. Modest discomfort only, no pain. I’ll have to build with || and not sure if close-V will be viable moving forward other than a max test. Definitely no posterior chain stuff on Tuesday’s.

Bench, index finger on rings; 1 x5-70. 1 x5-100@8, @7, @8, @7. Packing my shoulder blades into a shelf and trying to put them into my tail bone, but not pulling back the pecs. Felt pretty secure and naturally strong.

Seated deadlifts, box+8mats; 1 x5-120. 4 x10-160. A good starting weight but definitely nowhere near heavy enough. I think +1-2 mats as well, couldn’t quite find the full ROM.
Supersetted.

SSB squats; 1 x5-82. 3 x5-132.

SSB GMs; 2 x8-132. Lots on injury accommodation on these.

Sit-ups, bent knees, plate behind head; 2 x10-bw+15kgs.

Daily walks
1 x30min

Last edited:
Volume day

109.0 feeling very bloated in the gut

10min wake-up walk

Bench press, index on rings; 4 x8-90. Really good reps today.
Seal rows, volume; 4 x8-90. Couldn’t quite find a grip width so just mixed it up.
Axle hypers, 50deg #7; 4 x8-100. Not quite the positioning I’m looking for. I think I’ll go back to a #4 or 5 setting.
Giant set.

Belt squat, Platz-style; 2 x20-100kg.
CG neutral pull-ups; 2 x15-bw.
CG push-ups; 2 x15-bw.
SG Axle hypers, 50deg #5; 1 x8-100. 2 x15-80. I’ve decided to take the same approach to hypers as I have for seal rows, which have blown up my upper back this past month from an already significant starting point. Just hit this a helluva lot in a session and apply heavy tension using a different exercise in another, being hinge on Monday’s.
Giant set.

Nordics, band assisted; 3 x10-bw with black band assist. Cuing myself to leg curl the BB above my calves has really made these next level.
Neck extensions; 1 x25-25kg.
Giant set.

Cut short.

BB curls;
Overhead band extensions;
Supersetted.

Solid session, I just need to fluff around a bit less and compress it more.

Daily walks
1 x30min
1 x15min

Last edited:
Deadlift and bench max day

108.8 just generally very tired in the legs, didn’t stop all weekend

10min wake-up walk

DL to heavy single, || stance; 1 x10-70, 120. 1 x5-170. 1 x1-220 hook, 240. Felt like an @7 or 8 but nothing to be gained in pushing things until the injury is healed. Had a good slack pull and break.

Back offs; 3 x8-180. Pulling the slack with my back and then hip dropping to break, being mindful not to straight leg the thing if I go too strong. A heavier weight might be better next time. Deficits might be slightly better here to really force the quads into the start. This setup works best with a very rounded upper back, just something for me to remember.

Bench to heavy single, index finger on rings; 1 x10-70. 1 x1-110, 120, 130. This rep was a bit wobbly and ugly but it didn’t stop moving. Touched the chest at a stop but without a pause. Big improvement and I’ll take it for now. Definitely need to chalk up and get new wrist wraps though.
Back offs; 1 x3-115@9.

Weighted chin-ups, clustered singles sets; 1 x10-bw. 4 x4-bw+25kg.
Supersetted.

Nordic negatives; 2 x15, 1 x10-bw+black band. The third set was different, I gave myself a lot more room to go forward and hit near a position of near full knee flexion. Might need the green band back.
Hanging leg raises; 2 x15-bw.
Supersetted.

Daily walks
2 x15min
1 x30min

Last edited:
Heavy volume

109.5 going to assume some of it is the usual plane bloat and just some glycogen filling with the missed session

10min wake-up walk

DL singles, || stance, pull slack and scoop; 1 x10-70, 120. 1 x5-170. 1 x1-220 hook. 10 x1-230.

Bench, index finger on rings; 1 x10-70. 1 [email protected], @8, @8.5, @7. Finding my tightness still. First and last sets I hit it pretty well.
Seated DL, box+10mats, hook; 5 x8-170. The load was well placed between the back and brace building intent and the hook grip restoration.
Supersetted.

SSB SQ; 1 x5-82. 2 x5-132. Hit comp depth but nowhere near full-ROM due to lingering left-patella inflammation from the flights on Tuesday. Same old story but got the work done as much as I could. Only did the two sets accordingly.

Sit-ups, plate behind head; 3 x10-bw+15.

This session was brilliant and met the top of expectations. Hamstring/glute issue is coming along. Disappointing to have the knee flare up but not much to be done about it.

Daily walks
1 x10min stairs

Last edited:
Volume day

10min wake-up walk

Bench, index finger on rings; 4 x9-90.
Seal rows, box+2mats; 4 x9-90.
SG axle hypers, #7 50deg; 4 x15-80. Conscious of an exaggerated chin tuck to maintain position.
Giant set. 10 reps for the upper work next week, maybe a load bump on the hypers.

Belt squats; 3 x10-125. Very tight left knee above the joint, whoever tendon/fascia that is.
CG neutral pull-ups; 2 x10-bw+10kg vest.
CG Push-ups; 3 x10-bw+10kg vest. Need to elevate next week due to vest weight-loader obstruction to ROM.
SG axle hypers, #7 50deg; 3 x15-80.
Giant set. This circuit took way too long, with the belt squats primarily at fault. Moving them to weighted-step ups next week.

Nordics negatives on hyper; 3 x10-bw.
Neck extensions; 3 x25-25kgs.
Giant set.

Cut here.

DB front raises;
BB curls;
Overhead band extensions;
Giant set.

Taking nordics out. Hypers made everything feel good, nordics made everything feel shit and may have contributed to the injury, given tacit sensation and feel.

Otherwise a high effort session.

Daily walks
3 x15min

Evening
BB curls; 5 x10-40.
Overhead band extensions; 5 x15-black band
Supersetted.

Last edited:
Back