Metabolic strain techniques needed during

ttboyy2k

Is metabolic strain techniques (dropsets, pusles, loaded stretches/static holds, etc.) needed to maintain LBM during a cutting cycle? Without a caloric surplus and or drugs it doesn't seem necessary to include metabolic work in addition to the mechanical strain/load because this could cause overtraining issues. Plus, if a person is low carb dieting or using an extreme approach such as a PSMF, the improved nutrient uptake (insulin sensitivity) that metabolic work provides wouldn't be necessary. Since the body is in a catabolic state during a caloric deficit, wouldn't the mechanical strain/frequency/rbe and volume be the most crucial aspects for muscle mass preservation? I just don't see a lot of people gaining LBM while losing body fat simutaneously unless they are a beginer at bodybuilding or using AAS.

1. The more carb depleted you become the harder it is to create lactic acid, so if carb cutting I wouldn't do the 15's.
Unless of course you are trying to be glycogen depleted.
2. If doing cardio I would say no also, the overlap between the 15's and cardio is a fine line, decreasing the time between sets and high rep work can somewhat act the same as a cardio workout, so IMHO no need to do both.
3. If severely cutting it may be more benficial to skip both the SD and the 15's and work with your 10's and higher, this will help reduce the catabolic affect of severe caloric deficiency.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ June 02 2005,12:41)]2. If doing cardio I would say no also, the overlap between the 15's and cardio is a fine line, decreasing the time between sets and high rep work can somewhat act the same as a cardio workout, so IMHO no need to do both.
Does this mean that you would drop the 15's and do cardio or vice versa?

Yes, IMHO

Preferably steady state cardio, skip SD, go to 10's. If you are on a serious cut.

Back