Changing from 3x/week to 6x/week..

LittleBigHorn

Hey all,

I read a while back about how much greater your caloric requirements and fat burning are if you work out twice a day, or six times a week in general. I was thinking, would it be a bad idea in regards to a risk of overtraining if I wanted to speed up the fat loss by changing from 3x/ a week to 6x/ a week when my calories are already well below maintenance (I'm dreading that plateu I always seem to hit right around 13% BF, so I'm thinking of ways to push past it)? I'm currently at the end of my 10s, during which it might be a little too tough to handle, but I suppose I could do it during my 6s if I'm ever going to. One set of each exercise in the morning, and one in the evening. If I did this, then how would I change my cardio? I've currently been doing four 30 minute sessions a week with moderate intensity, three of them on the days that I lift. Would it be prudent to decrease from that if I changed to lifting twice as frequently?

Thanks in advance!

Cardio for more than 30mins 4x isn't necessary for 6x a week HST....you'll cut whether you mean to or not, initially that is. I'd even say that 4x a week for 30mins is prob. about as much as you'll need.

I can't comment so much on 3x twice a day though.

i was given advice that cut like you would anything else, lower calories, lower carbs, plus refeed when fatigue catches up. If you start the 15s with the 6x a week you should lean out pretty quickly. make sure you manage your fatigue though, I almost dipped into some major fatigue on this. but a day of refeed will do. Don't worry about cardio, like vicious said, the workout itself "anabolic cardio." :)

Alright, thanks once again noobie and jester!
I'm starting my 6 rep block tomorrow, and I'll see how things turn out if I do 2 training sessions a day. If it starts to feel overwhelming, I can always drop back down to one session a day, 3 times a week, and up the cardio back to 4 x a week, right?

I guess my biggest concern in all of this is the risk of injury or spraining myself, since I'll be working with heavy loads and ultra high frequency under a calorie defict... let's just hope I don't do any damage to myself!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If it starts to feel overwhelming, I can always drop back down to one session a day, 3 times a week, and up the cardio back to 4 x a week, right?

yup.

just remember to carb up if you feel a little too wacko in the head and fatigued.

Yep, I've been doing a light refeed every saturday, i.e. eating around maintenance with more carbs. It seems to help ward off overtraining, as I often feel a bit fatigued towards the end of the week.
One more question, though: you burn more calories and glycogen during your 15s, right? Now, if my main objective is fat loss, wouldn't it be wise to do one set of 6s (per exercise) as usual in the morning, and in the evening, instead of repeating them, do a set of 15s with lighter weights instead?

Back