Bulking diet - help!!

mdhan

I'm currently on a bulk(started a little over a month ago), and have recently hit a wall in my diet. Now I find it hard to cram in all the calories I need to gain, and at times even dread preparing and eating meals!!! Consequently, I "slacked off" a little bit and lost a pound or two. What makes it harder is that during the first month of my bulk my diet wasn't very clean(decent all around, but with a daily cheat meal:() , but I'm now trying to get my butt straight and eat right, however my appetite is keeping me from reaching my caloric goal of about 3000kcal. FYI, I'm 5'10", 167lbs, and my typical meal plan is as follows:
MEAL 1Calories/P/C/F)
2 servings of cereal (440/10/76/12) - most of the fat is from the pecans in it
1/2 carton of lowfat milk (200/15/25/5)
small apple (63/0/16/0)
MEAL 2
1 serving of chicken breast (140/27/0/3)
approx. 1 tblsp of olive oil (120/0/0/14)
1 cup boiled leafy green veggies(40/6/5/0)
1.5 cup pasta (420/14/80/2)
MEAL 3
1 scoop protein powder (130/27/2/1)
Gatorade powder(240/0/60/0)
5g creatine
2 tblsp glucose powder (165/0/44/0)
MEAL 4
1 serving of rice (305/6/66/1)
1 serving of chicken breast (140/27/0/3)
small apple (63/0/16/0)
1 cup lowfat milk (80/6/10/2)
MEAL 5
1 carton of lowfat milk (400/30/50/10)
4-5 fish oil capsules (60/0/0/7)
TOTALS 3006kcals
168g protein
450g carbs
60g fat
Would it be okay to play around with my current macronutrient ratio and substitute some carbs with fat(like peanut butter in place of apple)? Also how much of an impact would calorie-dense carbs like dextrose, etc have on someone with normal metabolism? Any suggestions/tips would be great. Thanks!!

The totals seem fine for someone of your height and weight, but your metabolism must be very high. I'd say add some orange juice and change to whole milk instead of skim. Add some whey protein to that whole milk. Start doing more than 1 scoop of whey, do 2. So far what I've said doesn't require meal preperation. Also, eat some cheese. Other things you can do would be to Order pizza hut, learn to make Fettuccini Alfredo with chicken or go get some at a restaraunt. You dont have to eat the same every day either, track it with fitday.com and you'll have an easier time changing up your food every day and keeping good numbers. If all else fails go to McDonalds
laugh.gif

Thanks for your tips Mindwraith. I'm not sure if my metabolism is high though. Although I have to cram to maintain my current weight, I'm by no means cut or that lean. I think I'll add some cheese here and there, and like you suggested add some whey to the milk.
By the way, speaking of OJ, is it really as bad as it's made out to be? I'm fructose-phobic, and try to avoid it whenever possible... Is OJ a concentrated source of fructose, or is that just a myth?
Oh, and please don't make me go crazy by mentioning pizza and Mickey D's... If I ever pick up the phone and call Pizza Hut or order a dbl cheeseburger anytime soon I'm gonna blame it on you
laugh.gif

Why not drink more milk?

Milk and rice are my primary source of carbs, and i eat about 4000 calories a day without any shakes

I'm not lactose intolerant, but close to it... I get bloated bigtime and often feel like puking once I drink a lot of milk. The fact that I drink a whole carton(about 1 litre) of milk as my last meal despite the fact that I have a hard time drinking a lot of it kinda shows how desperate I am to find out alternatives to meet my caloric goal.
sad.gif

i'm lactose intolerant - but i drink 2.5 litres of lactose free milk a day without any problems whatsoever.

Natrel sells 2L cartons of lactose free milk for $4.50 canadian

Make a liquid meal. Depending on what you want to include, based on goals, you can get pretty high cals this way.

Add things like FF yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit, dextrose/malto for carbs.

Add natural peanut butter, olive oil, etc. for fats.

Add 1-2 scoops protein powder for extra protein.

Search around, there are several posts on the topic of getting extra calories.

Edit: add some nuts for extra healthy fats. Sunflower, walnuts, almonds, etc.

Back