re: Ellipticals are Useless

I

imported_ephman

Ellipticals are Useless for Advanced Fat Loss

i came across this article and i'm wondering what you think. i've always been led to believe that if your heart rate it up you're working hard. he makes some logical claims

"The problem is not the elliptical itself -- it's just that it tends to allow/promote momentum (as most people have the resistance too low) from bodyweight alone. So unless you crank up the resistance and actually produce some force and/or MOVE your bodyweight - it's nothing but momentum. So if you're not actively using your muscles to produce some sort of force you aren't burning many calories."

but i don't crank up the resistance of the machine much, and i go for 1 hour at about 165 bpm (i have a hrm). he's out to lunch right by saying that i'm hardly buring calories? there's no proof or data to back his claims, and he tries to "sell" you his program at that end of it all, but do you think he makes a point at least with that momentum/resistance claim?

thanks,
ephman

the guys trying to sell his turbulence training ..
sleeping.gif

He has a slight point regarding momentum...but its completely irrelevant if you know what your heart rate is etc because you're obviously putting in enough effort to get your heart rate up to that amount...it might just be that some people wouldn't realise this and think they're doing a lot of work when they're not.

More importantly, a whole hour? I'm bl**dy impressed! I'd have died of a heart attack after half an hour and if not I'd have died of boredom! :D

Are you doing this separately to your weight training?

Back