Protein taxing on kidney/liver?

skinnyman

I was scolded by my parents for taking 10 eggs (2 yolks ) a day. they said too much protein (i'm taking 170g protein when bulking, i'm a 152 lbs guy) will kill my liver and kidneys. is this true? without eggs, i wouldn't be able to meet my protein needs. I'm lactose intolerant.

my diet is 2900 calories when bulking. 27%protein 48%carbs 25% fat.

is it a myth? they will be bringing me to a nutritionist soon and sort things out. help! :confused:

Depends

Pre-existing kidney disease, then yes, it could be potentailyl damaging.

In terms of healthy kidneys, the general result is probably not, but we cannot prove it.

If high protien intake was extremely damaging, then there would be screeds of bbrs over the years that would have kidney problems, but it just isnt happening.

Now, depedniong on the nutritionist that htey talk to, they will probably tell you to lower it.

But, there is counters. The national academy of sciences (who do the rda info) put the RDA of protein at 0.8g/kg, but they also put an acceptable range at 10-35% of total energy, so it gives more scope to you to eat higher levels of protein.

The athletic RDA is placed around 1.6-1.9g/kg which is a little below where you are. (do a web search for mark tarnosplosky or peter lemon for info on protein requirements for resistance trained athletes)

ok i just visited this site http://www.maxsportsmag.com/science/issue18/18s4.htm
which has a lot of Q&A on it. and my puny brain misunderstands every answer. haha.
but i have one qick question.... if i'm 152lbs... then i need 152g of protein... will the same # of grams of protein be needed for both Bulking and Maintaining ?
now i am scared to eat protein!!
thanks in advance!
worship.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ Feb. 14 2005,12:28)]but i have one qick question.... if i'm 152lbs... then i need 152g of protein... will the same # of grams of protein be needed for both Bulking and Maintaining ?
now i am scared to eat protein!!
+/- yes
the amount of protein is quite constant
exception - very low kcal diet
if you are healthy man
don't be affraid of that amount of protein
thumbs-up.gif

hmmmm what percentage of protein from the total number of calories do bbers usually eat? i think i want to go on the safe side.. although i don't have any past kidney problems...

if i lower my protein a bit (but i don't really want to).. then i would have to raise either carbs or fat. which is better? :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ Feb. 14 2005,1:16)]hmmmm what percentage of protein from the total number of calories do bbers usually eat? i think i want to go on the safe side.. although i don't have any past kidney problems...
if i lower my protein a bit (but i don't really want to).. then i would have to raise either carbs or fat. which is better? :D
please
don't look at precentages - their are misleading
just take about 1 gr per pound of body weight and feel safe
also don't look at BBers thay take sometimes weird amout of protien >400 gr per day

As luck would have it, Lyle McDonald has just posted this up on his forum...

IJSNEM, 10(1), March 2000, Copyright © 2000

Do Regular High Protein Diets Have Potential Health Risks on Kidney Function in Athletes?

Jacques R. Poortmans; Olivier Dellalieux
Full Article Table of Contents for Vol. 10, Iss. 1

Abstract
Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g · kg–1 but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2.8 g· kg–1 does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study. Key Words: glomerular filtration rate, albumin excretion rate, nitrogen balance

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ Feb. 13 2005,6:56)]without eggs, i wouldn't be able to meet my protein needs. I'm lactose intolerant.
Just a heads up that there are a number of non-dairy options for protein.

I try to load up on...
Beans
Tofu
Tempeh
Nuts
Flax Seeds

They also make a soy protein powder that acts as a nice boost to your total protein intake.

pauly - thanks for the reply. it helped a lot
thumbs-up.gif

Jeremy - i'm fine with soy but i find it rather expensive...so i really stick to eggs which are very cheap lol.

bringing this topic back up again.. at the end of the day i logged in my food intake and to my surprise my total protein intake is 255g. that's almost 1.5x my bodyweight! *prays my kidney still functions well*

Back